iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found this log in the "Aged Log Pile"

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, September 07, 2018, 10:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have a pile of mixed Oak logs I check on from time to time.
Found this Red Oak on the bottom of the pile and sawed a Butt Cookie off it.

I have never seen anything like it but I'm sure it happens.

I sawed the cookie to 2 inches and sanded it.
Its really dry and hard as a rock.
Not sure what to do with it but a ton of people are interested.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Dave Shepard

I see somebody is put a down payment on it. Are they scraping up the other $299?  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 07, 2018, 10:15:53 PM
I see somebody is put a down payment on it. Are they scraping up the other $299?  ;D
:D :D :D

DPatton

:o :oThat's something special alright. Now what to do with it???
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

Way cool! 8)

I kind of see Texas on the bottom middle, Washington on the upper left and a morphed Florida on the bottom right because of the rising oceans...

Were you able to get a second one?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

No_Dude

I'd look at doing a black epoxy to fill the gaps, and then give it a nice hand rubbed linseed finish, but thats just me  ;D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

firefighter ontheside

In general I try to stay away from butt cookies, but that is pretty cool.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

LeeB

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on September 08, 2018, 03:03:18 AM
In general I try to stay away from butt cookies, but that is pretty cool.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Satamax

Poston, inlay it in a nice table, a bit like on your last pic.  May be a cordwood table? Or a real nice black walnut one. 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

moodnacreek

I struggle to keep my logs from end splitting.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Nomad

That looks like the end of a Live Oak log.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Percy

Really cool...Im wondering if you'd get another offa the same log after it dried while? 

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Brad_bb

Definitely a cool piece.  I wouldn't do anything to it.  It's perfect for a small table by putting a piece of glass on top and coming up with something for a base.  Could be something simple like a small butt flare.  Sometimes you have to have an eye out for treasures like that.  Maybe we should start a new thread for "Wood Treasures"? I probably have about a dozen interesting pieces that I've never posted pics of. Unique and odd things.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

That is so cool. Wife and I like it. I would say inlayed in a coffee table and resin filled.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Don P

It does show exactly how rays propagate as the tree grows, its really more dendritic than purely radial, something to think about as you're hunting for QS flash.

I'd be tempted to fill it with clear resin and experiment with indirect soft light up through the cracks.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!