iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Montana Burning

Started by Mt406, August 21, 2017, 12:42:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mt406

Though you mite like to see some of the photos.
I think there is 25 fires burning here in the state.
Two major ones just north of me in the area I grew up.
Lolo peak fire 30,700 acers and one across the valley also over 30K
yesterday there were 750 home evacuated with a possible of 1500 more.
These fires are 150 miles north and west of me but the smoke here has viability down to a half mile some times.
I will post more pics as they are sent to me.

Darrel

Not pretty, and unfortunately, Oregon is in much the same boat. About 30 fires burning out of control in the cascades. That's what dry thunderstorms do for us.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

What a waste of good wood...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Really looks scary!    :o

Stay safe!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

Brucer

BC is burning as well. We've had hundreds of small wildfires and a few big ones. About 45,000 people under evacuation order at one point. Earlier this month 2017 became the worst year for BC wildfires ever recorded (the previous worst year was 1958).

Today 19 wildfires combined to make the single largest fire in BC's history: 467,000 hectares or 1.17 million acres. That's over 1800 square miles in a single fire.

Fortunately there are relatively few communities at risk right now.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Darrel

Dry thunderstorm goin on right now, so more fires more smoke. Not fun!
1992 LT40HD

Mt406

The  forecast  for  Tuesday  dry lightning  50% chance.
I am  building  a 300 gal slip  tank for my pickup  it should  be  done  end of week.
There's not enough  fire  equipment  to put  out a camp  fire  around  here.
Local  fire department  is 30 min  away. so kinda  on my own .

justallan1

We've been very lucky in south eastern Montana. The ranch I work for has had 4 in the past 2 weeks, but we got extremely lucky on 2 and got on them and were able to keep them to just a few acres apiece. Another was just over 150 acres when we got it contained and the last got us for right at 360 acres and was just in a horrible spot, plus the winds were really giving us a lot of grief.
I can't say enough about all of the response teams that came together on the big fire. We had 2 rigs from one county, 3-4 rigs from our county, DNRC was there with several rigs, two helocopters and one tanker at least, PLUS hot shot crews from New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania and a new bunch on there first season from Alaska....All of them great folks to talk with and every last one of them busting butt to get things done. The ranch that I work for is in 3 counties so it gets confusing as to who is running the show, but all of these folks were able to listen to one guy and everything went great.
I really want to thank any of you who do this for a living. I just can't say enough about anyone willing to walk away from their families and homes to put yourselves in the predicaments that you do with these fires. I did this stuff when I was younger and know what you all are putting yourselves through, thank you very much.
On a good note the big fire here left me with probably 50 unburned trees that got pushed over dozing a perimeter line and another couple hundred that were fire killed but still in great shape. Lets just see if I can't make some time and get back to sawing some lumber.

Darrel

Glad to hear that the crews are working well together and getting a handle on things. I am always amazed to see crews come together from so many parts of the country or even the world. They always work together as a team, you'd think that they trained together. There is nothing I know of that can be compared to the teamwork of different fire crews working together.
1992 LT40HD

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Allan, I was wondering how you've been faring out there, my uncle said your country is producing plenty of smoke.
Too many irons in the fire

justallan1

Quote from: barbender on August 26, 2017, 09:19:46 PM
Allan, I was wondering how you've been faring out there, my uncle said your country is producing plenty of smoke.
All of the real bad fires and larger ones are to west of us and producing bunches of smoke. I drive around my end of the ranch every morning checking waters and looking for fires and I really have to take my time to see, it's pretty limited visibility for sure.
We have bunches of out of state fire crews stationed at the motel here that are on new fires every day it sounds like, plus DNRC is staying pretty close. It's definitely a day to day deal this time of year.

barbender

I wish I could send you some of our rain!
Too many irons in the fire

PA_Walnut

Unfortunate, but kudos for some really great photos!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

ozarkgem

I drove through BC 3 weeks ago and the smoke was burning my eyes inside my car. Good photos
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!