iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shout out to Marty Parsons and Wood-Mizer PA

Started by DR_Buck, August 20, 2017, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Now that I have had some time on my mill with the new engine and the opportunity to saw some 34" red and white oak logs, I can MARTY DID A FANTASTIC JOB.  8) 

Running the new Kohler 38 HP fuel injected engine is like having a new sawmill compared to the old Kohler 25 HP.   The thing screams through cuts now without bogging down.  This is even on wide cuts in hard wood.    The best thing I've noticed is there is no blade dive at the beginning of my cuts.   I used to get it pretty regular if I entered a cut with the head moving forward to fast.   This is not a problem with all this new horsepower.   ;D

Thanks for the great upgrade and repairs Marty.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

will49766

Hi there Dr_Buck.

I have been reading about your engine change from the Kohler 25hp to the 38hp engine.  Sorry for your troubles.  I am wondering what you are experiencing as far as fuel consumption goes?  Do you see a huge difference in fuel usage with the 38hp Kohler engine compared to the 25hp engine?  I have ordered an LT40HDWide with the same 38hp engine and have been questioning my decision.  I am totally new to milling and plan on using the mill strictly for hobby purposes at first.  I am wondering if the fuel consumption on the 38hp is outrageous? 

Thanks for your input.  Glad you are enjoying the new engine.

Looking forward to picking my mill up mid January.  Can't wait!

Thanks again!

Will
Will Houghmaster

DR_Buck

Will   -  I can't really say that fuel consumption is outrages.   The 38HP does use more than the 25HP did, but the trade off in performance and power is worth it.    I can saw much faster and the motor does not bog down at all.

I haven't put a lot of hours on the new 38 Kohler because I was getting my place ready to sell and moving stuff to my new place.   Now I'm trying to get the shop, garage and milling facility all put together.   I hope to be milling at least my own stuff shortly after the 1st of the year.    Then maybe by late January I will have my services advertised around the new location here in central Virginia.

If you order the wide head, you will appreciate the extra horse power the 38 provides.  I can't imagine trying to saw wide stuff with only 25HP  ( :D )  after having mine for almost 14 years.

The laughing emoji is because I will be sawing lots of wide stuff with only 23HP when I get things going again.   In October I purchased a 60" Lucas dedicated slabber that has a 23 HP engine.    :D   Still waiting to get it set up and use it for the first time.  ::)

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DR_Buck

Southside

Well welcome Neighbor, we will have to get together one day.

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

will49766

Dr Buck,

Thanks for your reply and for your input.  I will quit worrying about my choice of engines and will stick with the 38hp Kohler.  I will have my hands full just learning how to operate the mill when I get it.   Good luck with setting up your new place.

Will
Will Houghmaster

Wudman

Quote from: Southside logger on December 17, 2017, 11:44:31 PM
Well welcome Neighbor, we will have to get together one day.

We are about to become a Forestry Forum hotspot.  Welcome to the neighborhood DR Buck.  I'm just south of you in Keysville.  We'll all have to get together sometime and grab a bite of lunch.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!