iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bringing an older LT40 back to service

Started by Josef, August 20, 2017, 07:44:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josef

Good Evening,

quick question for Lynn or anyone running an older LT40, where would I find the ser no. on an older LT40 super hyd. I made a friend in Woodbine who purchased this mill 8 years ago, never ran it and is going to allow me to "resurrect" it and use it to process the logs coming off the property were clearing for our new house and shop outside Woodbine. The owners son is storing the mill right now in under a canopy building. I'm in PA right now, want to contact Marty at Shade Gap and get manuals and possibly an idea how this mill is equipped from the serial number, and get it registered in the owners name.

I just got a glimpse of it, covered in tarps, loaded with various metal scraps piled on the tarped frame, but did manage to discern the turbo diesel and some form of setworks, rough turning guides and a contact strip that is quite corroded. I've run several WM mills over the years, but none that I could say I was ever proficient with. So any advice on a plan of attack to evaluate the mill in a cohesive manner to pick up problems before they reach up and bite me would be great. The process will start on my next trip south after labor day. I'll start a photo log when I start and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions for the LT40 operators here.

Our transplant to the "south" continues, building permits issued for septic, house and shop, have equipment rentals lined up for our scheduled work weeks there. Can't wait to get settled in there and spend more time fishing, my planned retirement schedule is to make the executive decision each morning whether to go to my shop and play or to the boat and go fishing/shrimping/crabbing/diving.

Taking all my toys with me, mills, shop equipment, assorted invaluable collections of stuff I know I'll need one day but the downsize from 12k sq ft shop to 5k sq ft shop will take some adjusting to. Even gonna try some grits this trip, wife loves them, never tried them knowingly, but I hear they're great with shrimp.

I continue to meet some very, very nice, helpful and friendly folks down there, and from my conversations I think we'll fit right in.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Chuck White

If they're still in place, there should be 3 stickers with the serial number, year of manufacture, etc!

If you're standing on the loading/off-bearing side of the mill, there should be a sticker on the main beam, about 10 feet or so from the hitch, there should also be one on the sawhead, and right now (it's late) I can't think where the 3rd sticker is!

Hope this helps you out!  Good luck on your adventure, there's lots of help right here on the Forestry Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Your going to need a convoy to get all your stuff moved.
Or a train.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Josef

Thank you Chuck, I sent that info to Cory, the owners son, he said he'd get it to me this week. In another direction, when is the WM annual service route scheduled each year, that might be a good place for me to start if it's still available this year, and our schedules align.

Cory mentioned that his father had ordered the manuals when he bought the machine, so hopefully its already registered in his name, Later today when I call WM here in PA I'll ask Marty about the alignment and service outlines in the manual to get some reading material before my next trip south.

Going to be fun, only drawback will be not having my shop available with tools at hand during the service and repairs.

Yes Kevin, after your visit last week I spent some time going thru the buildings here to see what will be relegated to the auction and what I'm taking south, I wasn't very successful making the auction list much bigger. Like you most of my "stuff" is in bins, cabinets, and storage containers, all pretty much labeled over the years so I can find what I need. It's just that mental block there that seems to be reinforcing the opinion that those marine fittings and electrical hardware saved from my time in the marine industry will be an essential part of my next adventure. As well as all the steel building components, purlins, C's, Z's I beams etc from another career. And you just saw one shop building, there are two others as well.

I am fortunate in that I have several friends who truck and can get loads moved pretty much for fuel cost and a couple days fishing down south. Networking and bartering, ain't it great.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Magicman

Joe, are you moving to Georgia? 

The service routes are different for each locale in the country beginning in the South.  You should be able to get their route and schedule by calling Indy.  They probably do not have the actual schedule dates set yet.

I may be able to make it to my sawmill today and verify the tag locations.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Josef

Good Morning Lynn,

yes we are, bought 18 acres 3 miles outside Woodbine, Georgia, on Rt 110. Nice piece of "hardwood hammock?" with lots of longleaf pine interspersed. At the nosebleed elevation of 16 ft. above sea level its beautiful. Going to clear 2 acres for house, shop and a small pasture for two retired mares. Artesian well was there and electric service done now (400 amp). Amazing how you guys down south train the pine trees to grow in such nice rows.

I'll be talking with WM later today to get reference materials I can read before my trip south. I'll see if I can coordinate a visit on the service route if it's still available this year. Thanks for confirming the sticker locations, hope to talk to his dad again this week as well to get more details on the mill.

Spoke with Corey a few moments ago, he's on a job site this week, said his dad ordered manuals, bands, replacement tanks etc when he bought the mill, so I will assume he's registered it. Corey and his family are wonderful folks, been super helpful getting my project off the ground, and operate shrimp boats in their off time, weekends with family crewing. He sent me to the keys with about 12# of frozen shrimp for my grandkids earlier this month on vacation, refused to take money for them and I sent him quart mason jars of maple syrup, love to barter.

Ga Mtn Man

Wow, PA to Woodbine, GA!  That's almost like moving to another planet.  I lived in Camden Co. for a few years in my early twentys and have fond memories of my time there, especially fishing off the pier in St Mary's.  I'm sure by now you know about the sand gnats and the local favorite repellent, Avon Skin-So-Soft.   
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Josef

Yep Ga Mtn Man, weather sure is different. Here in Pa we're almost 3000 feet in elevation, always a nice breeze, only use AC a couple of days a year, no mosquitos, they can't take the headwinds. In Ga we'll be almost at sea level, flatlands, amidst the woodland, so breezes are catch as catch can.

The bugs so far that have impressed me the most are the variety of ticks, before I was advised of permethrin spray for my clothing I could pick off a couple dozen a day. Next to that is the banana spider. a couple of months ago they were small colorful and "cute" now they're big as your palm and challenge you when you get near their webs across the driveway. Nasty bites too.

Learned about the benefits of Skin so Soft way back when on our annual spring trips to Quebec and the provincial forrest lakes fishing for walleye and northerns. Preferred Deet back then but you had to watch what kind of plastic you handled after applying, would melt the finish right of a red devil spoon.

Are the sand gnats those mean little chiggers? Seems that yankee blood is a delicacy and they invite the whole neighborhood for the picnic. I can get bit by more bugs in a day there than I see in a year up north. I'll deal with it for the fishing and shrimping though, and the invitation to use a private strip a mile from the property to keep my Kitfox. And the ultralight I haven't told my wife I'm gonna build yet, shhhhh. Gotta build a hanger though.

Joe

slider

Let me know when you land in camden co. Josef i am 2 hrs away but my wife has a home north of brunswick.I just spent 2 months sawing near you in burnt fort on the Satilla river.If you were off 110 i probably passed by you twice a day.

I had half ownership in and older lt 40 for 6 years.If i can help just pm me.
al glenn

Kbeitz

I lived in Jesup for 5 years. Thats just a few mile north from Woodbine.
The Altamaha rive is really good fishing.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Josef

Thank you Slider,

We hope to be moved and residing in Woodbine full time by winter 2018. The land clearing will start early next month, and I hope to be ready too process some of that timber late Oct. I will absolutely give you a call when we get close to putting some wood thru the LT40. As usual you have to keep in mind that I'm the eternal optimist so my timelines are usually a bit rose colored.

We're renting equipment at Neffs in Brunswick, a week at a time. Having places to care for 12 hours apart restricts how much time I can work in Ga. I'm cleaning up my large shop the next few weeks, need the floor space to start panelizing the house. I found a grading company that has quoted reasonable fees to grade the posts and timbers I'll use in the structure but I need to get them north to mill and dry them, not sure I'm being cost effective but it will be fun.

Kevin, I drove thru Jessup getting to the logger who your brother put me in contact with to get that load of cypress last year. Everyone tells me about the fishing and I can't wait to get my boat down there. I hear there's some pretty good clean oyster beds near there as well, and being able to harvest 48 quarts of shrimp a day during the season sounds like my kind of day on the water.

I'm really looking forward to the adventure, and I hope to be able to make it to a Sycamore project next year as well if its scheduled. The pig roasts are a goal but they seem to conflict with lobster season in the keys with my kids and grandkids, thats a tradition I hope to continue, been doing it 14 years so far.

Joe

Josef

Evening all,

Spoke with the owner of the LT40 today, we're all on the same page now to get it going, going to be a project though I think.

It's a 1997 LT40 Super Hyd, 41 hp Lambordini Turbocharged diesel, with setworks rev A. The options codes from the ser no does not show a debarker or other added items. It is registered in the owners sons name, so the paper trail is good, they purchased the lube tank and other small repair parts when they bought the mill but it was never put in service, hasn't been operated in about 8 or 9 years, but the diesel was run 4 years ago.

I spoke to WM Indiana, the service route in GA has already happened, so not available until next year, spoke to WM GA, and asked if next month a service tech might be available for a site visit and evaluation, the owner is not inclined to transport the mill very far. They will advise of a scheduling opportunity and cost shortly if they can work it in, they would prefer it be transported to their shop.

Tech in Martys shop cautioned that the setworks will probably be the achilles heel of the service, that the rev A is no longer supported and parts are not available, though used parts might be found, but might be cost prohibitive and the reliability questionable. Upgrading to Accuset II was suggested, but that cost is not in the budget. My time on the phone with WM today was very productive, learned a lot about their record keeping and access to historical data on their sold units, they were quite patient and educated a non WM owner (WM Shade Gap knows I have a Timberharvester, not a WM mill) on what to look for in getting this vintage LT40 going again.

Owner has a new box of 9 degree bands, not sure of their condition or storage particulars. Parts history on the mill is schetchy, does not show much ordered from WM in the past 20 years. Owner is retired, with properties in two states that he alternates between, I have full free access to the machine and use of it to process my logs after its put back in service, and the owner will pay the cost of all parts and materials, just need to pray the setworks is serviceable. He wants his son to learn to operate the mill and be comfortable with it, I have to believe that anyone who can operate his own commercial shrimping boat and timber company can master the operation of a vintage LT40.

So I'm officially committed to the project now, and truth be told kind of excited about it. And I get to  learn to operate a shrimp boat in the bargain. I love shrimp.

Joe

Magicman

Don't be concerned about the Setworks until there is a problem.  I had to replace my display this year and even though I was able to secure a new one, there are FF members that can and will help.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I agree,, if it works don't fix it...I really liked things about the first accusset  compared to the 2nd version. But when it fails, hopefully not,, the time for change will be obvious.  keep things clean and tight,, easy enough,, a good charged battery, priceless.   Easy peasy,  till you get going,,try to avoid the rammy stage of saw
ing,, it will come soon enough.  Real happy for you and hoping that your move is a good one,, at least its on the down side of summer,, but southern boys know, you will sweat in the truck seat through October,,,,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

This is not Accuset(1) but Setworks.  There is a difference.   :P

drobertson

Yea, well I was unaware of this,, if Marty gave a fair warning, It may need to be heeded, I still believe if its not broke don't fix it,and a good battery and tight connections always a good recipe.and when the time comes it will be obvious. And usually at the worst possible time.  Murphy's Law takes no prisoners.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

David, Setworks and Accuset (1) both fall into the MD category.  If there was a catastrophic failure, Accuset 2 is the only replacement option for either one. 

Just as information SimpleSet is a newer and simpler version but because of the larger motors on the SuperHydraulic it not a replacement option for a failed Setworks or Accuset (1) on a SH sawmill.

Yes, the different names are confusing.   :P

Josef

David, I've heard about the Georgia heat in summer, but I firmly believe that the Lord made air conditioning just for me. When we lined up our rental equip for next month I had to spec a bigger track loader than necessary to get one with a cab and AC, wife says I'm a wuss.

I've never used the original setworks and I'm hoping Slider and Lynn will be able to coach me thru it when the time comes. I will have all the operating and repair manuals for the mill when I start, I have done an alignment or two so the mechanical aspects will be simple enough, machinery maintenance and repair have been my bread and butter for more years than I care to remember.

As usual the FF members encouragement, support and advice add such a positive aspect to these projects. I've only been reading FF for a few years but I don't think I've ever seen a question go unanswered. My professional involvement has been engrossed in matters of steam, motor, electric, gas turbine and nuke propulsion and power generation, only recently have I come back to my original love, woodworking. My grandfather had a shop in a basement in a high-rise on the west side, 190th st in NY, I grew up there shadowing him in his woodshop (the memory brings back the smell of old growth pine and shellac), he said I would one day be a good "deskus maker". I'm getting there.

Joe

thecfarm

Replace the tires if going down the road with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Josef

Very good advice, I seem to be the king of tire casualties with trailers so I'll have two D rated trailer tires mounted on rims with me "just in case".

Earlier this year after having the tires on my 25' drop deck 6 ton trailer replaced I headed to my sons place in Crestview FL with a load of building materials for a shed. Not a big load, only about 5k lbs, left at 6 pm, I took out three of the 4 new tires within 500 miles. I always carry multiple spares but that was ridiculous. Turns out the tires were mistakenly replaced with LT tires, well under rated and to top it off pulled from a pile that were destined to be returned to the manufacturer because of defects. New guy at the tire shop wasn't aware of the situation and grabbed the wrong tires, I was not a happy camper.

Yep, spare tires will be on hand if needed.

Joe

drobertson

Good morning Joe, man it sure sounds like you have got things going!  It has to be exciting for you, with the move and land clearing coming.  Looking forward to seeing your progress, and hoping for the very best for you and your family.
And you will surely be enjoying some fresh boiled peanuts too! 8)

Thank You Sponsors!