iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elm slabs

Started by Joey Grimes, August 20, 2017, 07:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joey Grimes

We slabed up 2 9' elm logs yesterday about 28" diameter. Haven't seen any drying schedule for elm ,I'm not sure what type of elm it is .I'm pretty sure it's going to air dry a while before going to kiln. 

94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

123maxbars

Nice wood, I quarter saw my ELM, when i didn't in the past drying problems followed,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

YellowHammer

Looks like a red elm to me.  Elm is a very lively wood, very restless when it dries, really moving around.  We stopped sawing and selling flatsawn elm as degrade losses were too great although we may start again as customers keep asking for it.  However, it does respond well to stack weighting, and we would pile tons of other pallets of lumber on top of it to keep it flat when air drying.  Even when it goes into the kiln, put stack weights on it.  I have been using the concrete lid of a septic tank, folded in half to fit on a pallet, and then placed on top of the stack in the kiln. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

K-Guy

Hi Joey
Stan from Nyle here. Use a Black Walnut schedule and follow Yellowhammers advice. :)
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

rjwoelk

Joe let us know how the drying goes, I am also interested in Elm, we have large trees being removed due to the dutch elm problem. shame to see it sent to the dump and buried.
YH did you find quarter sawing helps.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

farmfromkansas

Last time I sawed red elm, the whole batch got powder post beetles.  Better do something to protect the lumber just in case.  I also have problems with ash, but walnut seems safe.  The walnut under the red elm has no symptoms of ppb.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

serg

Hi, friends!
I continue to do experimental drying with heat treatment high temperature.The heat treatment gives a good result. No beetle, fungus, mold. The main thing - stable geometry of the joiner's products.Vacuum drying is the best drying in the Slab. Dan, can do the job. In the photo elm thickness 88 mm, length 2100 mm, width 750 mm under oil. Larch thickness 100 mm, width 580 mm, ash thickness 80 mm . Thermo Slub 165 C.
W = 5.8 - 6 %.
Sergey.

serg

P.S. The faster the plate goes to the vacuum drying with thermo , the best. My conclusion.

Thank You Sponsors!