iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclipse mania

Started by tree-farmer, August 20, 2017, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcutter_Mo

At work we went outside and checked it out. It did cool off quite a bit and my buddy's girlfriend called him and said their chickens did their evening routine and went to the roost  :D.
It didn't get near as dark as I was expecting but it was neat to get to be able to see.
We looked for something with holes in it to cast a shadow, found a piece of steel with holes in it. Not the best pic but you can see the crescent shapes.

-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

goose63

Was cloudy here all day so i had my nap seen one in 79 so no big deal for me
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

wesdor

We have planned to be in St Louis to babysit our 20 month old grandson and made a big event of it with our son in law. This was the first time I've actually witnessed totality and was very impressed. I never fail to be amazed at this incredible world in which we live.

yukon cornelius

Quote from: grouch on August 21, 2017, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: yukon cornelius on August 21, 2017, 02:43:48 PM
We survived the eclipse  ;D

Do you have proof?

I may be wrong. I am lobster red sunburnt with a white stripe across my eyes.  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

btulloh

. . . . almost total darkness here now.  .  . . . . eerie.
HM126

Al_Smith

I used my welding hood,number 11 glass with a pair of sunglasses which was probably about 12 total or more .Worked fine .

caveman

My parents drove up to their place in Franklin, N.C. to view the eclipse.  My mother kept me updated with texts and then later my dad sent a much longer one that I took a screen shot (3) to share with any who care to read it.  I found it amusing.

My mother reported that cicadas got cranked up as the eclipse began and when it got totally dark where they were the coyotes started howling.  In Lakeland, where I live, it got a little cooler and noticeably dimmer.  I took a few pics through my welding hood but they did not show what I could see when looking through protective lenses.
Caveman

tmarch

Nice nap break here, hey if it's dark time to sleep. :D
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Delawhere Jack

8:30am EST. Heading out on a side work job. Didn't want to take any chances....

Roxie

Quote from: btulloh on August 21, 2017, 08:19:49 PM
. . . . almost total darkness here now.  .  . . . . eerie.

:D :D
Say when

btulloh

Grouch, those pictures of the crescent shaped shadows are interesting.
HM126

grouch

I had forgotten about shadows like that and doubted my eyes for a while.

Is this caused by changing from a disc light source to a crescent one, or is it more like a pinhole effect, by the leaves, and those shadows are actually projected images of the eclipse? The latter doesn't seem very likely, to me.
Find something to do that interests you.

50 Acre Jim

I'm 13 miles west of Franklin and we got totality.  Sitting in the sun, watching the eclipse through our special glasses. And then suddenly... it was dark! So very cool!   Had to use flash to get the second picture. 

Go to work?  Probably Knott.  Because I cant.

sandhills

My inlaws and I watched it and the first thing noticed was the temp change then my wife and I were walking back to the vet clinic she works at and saw the exact shadows you pictured Grouch, I was wondering the same.  We were probably around 98%  ???  It is an eerie darkness but just got dark enough to make the street lights turn on here.

Dan_Shade

We parked at the parking lot of South Carolina University Stadium, had clear skies for the totality.

Had a good view of the diamond ring and a great view of the corona, which was larger than I expected. I noticed the shadow waves before totality as well, and sun set colors all around the horizon. Pretty amazing sight.  Even saw a bat fly out.

Then we sat in traffic for 8 hours.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Roxie

I like your photos, 50 Acre Jim.   :)

Here we had 80%, and it was dim enough at 2:45 PM that my portulaca, closed and stayed closed until this morning.  You know you are living life on the wild side, when flowers closing is the highlight of your day.

We were going to watch through a welding helmet, but my Amish neighbor showed up to ask if he could borrow it, "for the children."  No way I could say no after seeing the excitement on their faces. 
Say when

Banjo picker

Deb and I drove up to a friends house in Boaz Ky. to see the darkness.  It was our first chance to see one.  It was on the bucket list, so we got that done.  The lady whose house we were out, son came in for the event as well and he brought a drone. He flew the drone up and it hovered and videoed here back yard while it was going on.   I got a video of it on my phone from where he on line, but cant get it on the forum.  I tried last night.  All those who have been around here for a while know how difficult tech. stuff is for me.  If I get somebody here that can do it I will post the video the drone made.  He put it in time lasp so it only takes about 10 seconds to see it go form light to dark and back to light again.  I can usually get pictures on the forum straight from my phone, but when I went to get the video, I couldn't find it.  When I just want to look at it on the phone its right there.  Oh well.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Magicman

You have to upload it to YouTube and then post the link.  If you do not have one, it is easy to open a YouTube account.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Brucer

Unfortunately, a lot of people decided it was safe to take off their viewing glasses during totality when only the corona was visible. Big mistake.

Most of the visible light from the sun comes from the surface. If we look directly at it the light overloads our vision systems and it feels very uncomfortable. So we don't look.

There is much less visible light in the corona so with the surface of the sun blocked by the moon, it doesn't make us feel uncomfortable looking at the corona. However, the corona is where most of the sun's UV comes from.

Since the retina has no pain sensors, looking directly at the corona for more than 1/4 second or so won't feel uncomfortable but it will do a lot of permanent damage.

Symptoms to watch for:
- washed out colour. Things that usually look like they are brightly coloured will look much paler than you expect.
- trouble focusing on things. Looking directly at the corona burns small spots on the retina so things don't look entirely clear no matter how much your eyes try to focus on them.

The good news -- small amounts of damage can heal over time. The bad news -- some of the damage will be permanent. Exposing the eye to intense UV will also lead to cataracts later in life.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ljohnsaw

Re: welding glass.  What I read in various places is that welding (at 1-3 ft) produces a greater amount of light and much more UV than the sun.  I have weld-burns that I think prove that. ::)  The internet (that I read) stated you needed at least shade 12 but 14 would be better.  The weld shop by me "said" they sold over 2,000 lenses in the last 2 weeks.  They only had 11s left.  Since my two helmets had 10s (one was pitted), I picked up a pair of 11s and used those.

We drove up Saturday to Catfish Junction on the Snake River in Oregon (9 hour drive (80mph limit for more than half the drive)) and camped with some internet friends.  Had a great time.  We were about 99.9% totality - about 15 miles south of the center but still had 2 minutes+ of darkness.  Will try to get my son's video of the darkness descending.

The temperature started dropping at about 25%, the wind picked up and it was great.  The shadows became very sharp - like someone set the contrast up to max.  Did not expect it to get so cold (about 15° drop in temp).  Everyone started howling when it went totally dark.

The tree shadows:

What I saw (with the camera) through the welding glass:

A funny sign made by punching holes in some paper:

As seen through someone's fancy telescope.  After the eclipse we could see some really cool sunspots!

Totality!  This was taken by my son with his cheap Nikon point and shoot:

Sign after the eclipse:

We (my son and I) both agreed that driving 460 miles was worth it but probably wouldn't do it again.  The eclipse that is going to occur in 7 years is supposed to go from Mexico to Maine.  Then in 2054 another is supposed to do a route from the south west to the north east.  Not sure if I will be around for that one!

We had an eclipse nut (this was his 5th - they occur about every 18 months) next to us in camp - he drove out (because he had family) from Ontario Canada.  He said at the last one he went to, a woman had witnessed 23!!! :o
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

grouch

Quote from: Brucer on August 23, 2017, 12:32:51 AM
Unfortunately, a lot of people decided it was safe to take off their viewing glasses during totality when only the corona was visible. Big mistake.

[snip]

NASA proclaimed it safe to view the eclipse during the short time of totality with the naked eye. They also warned that anyone outside the track of totality should NOT view it with the naked eye.

Is it true that you should not look at the sun even during a total solar eclipse?
There is a misunderstanding being circulated that during a total solar eclipse when the moon has fully blocked the light from the sun, that there are still harmful 'rays' that can injure your eyes.  This is completely false. When the bright photosphere of the sun is completely covered, only the faint light from the corona is visible, and this radiation is too weak to have any harmful effects on the human retina. 
The misunderstanding comes about because of using the general term 'solar eclipse' to describe both the total phase when the sun disk is completely blocked, and the minutes before and after totality when there is still some of the sun's disk visible. It is harmful to view even a sliver of the sun disk because of its intensity, and so to simply say that you should not view a solar eclipse is rather inaccurate.

The rest of NASA's eclipse FAQ is still available at this time.

Find something to do that interests you.

doctorb

We gazed in Idaho, and it was glorious.  Loved all the schlock surrounding the event.

Best t-shirt:   

"Totality Worth It"

Best Restaurant Sign: 

"Total Bar
Total Bar-B-Cue
Total Eclipse"
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!