iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry Burl.....should I dry and if so how?

Started by tuckerolson, August 19, 2017, 07:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuckerolson

So I cut an awesome cherry burl about the size of a beach ball off of a tree that was getting cut to clear land and I would like to make a bowl out of it.  I was hoping for some advice on how to dry it or if I even should before I start carving away on this thing.  Thanks for any help!

WDH

Dry it slow, outside, under a shed.  You might consider wrapping it in several layers of newspaper to slow the drying.  Fast drying will crack it.  If you bring it inside, it will dry too fast and will likely split and crack.  Slow wins the race. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wesdor

Wanting a bowl says turning to me.  If that is the case I suggest you turn it green to about 10% of desired size, then put it in a brown paper bag with shavings. Let it dry for at least 3 months.
With something that size you should really consider using a McNaughton corer (or similar). That way you would get several bowls from this burl. 

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?

Thank You Sponsors!