iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any suggestions on a good portable sawmill

Started by backwoodscedar, August 19, 2017, 04:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Wow Steve, I just agreed with you in Reply #23 above, and I have never mentioned your B20. 

The OP was originally looking at a WM, TK, and even mentioned a Woodland Mills.  No entry level or "hobby" level sawmill will handle anything close to 38".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

The TK1600 will, it's one that's he's looking at.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Quote from: ladylake on August 20, 2017, 05:11:31 PM

The TK1600 will, it's one that's he's looking at.  Your post 21 made it sound like a 4 post wouldn't  handle a 38" log. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

drobertson

As mentioned,  a good study on the forum sponsors should give you a good starting point.. I would suggest as a few have to visit some mills, of varying types, and see for yourself the work flow and processes involved.  At this point I will add, I did like my WMZ super, even going through a few pains,,when running they are hard to beat.  Customer service is good, just not a fan of using like I had to and waiting for a pick up.  Most likely an isolated case?  Now speaking of portable,, wheels are not necessary,  A few trips to the sawmill shootout proved this to me,, the Lucas and Peterson swing mills held their own too., and as with any mill the learning curve is always there.   It's a tough choice,, one that needs a good study, and a mind of knowing that flexibility will be needed.. baskets of eggs are occasionally dropped, much like plans with buyers,  We gave away quite a few eggs this year because they go bad after a spell. Lumber can fall into a very similar situation if the market drops.  Cash flow I believe is a constant requirement.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

Also a entry level EZ Boardwalk 40 or a new Cooks wide mill would handle that sized log easy.  Steve

Bruno of NH

I'm looking into the wide cooks with power feed and up/down maybe next year
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

JB Griffin

The right swing mill could handle those sized log easier than any bandmill.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

ladylake

Depending on what your sawing, if you want wide boards or slabs for table tops you want a band mill.  Steve

JB Griffin

Quote from: ladylake on August 20, 2017, 05:43:55 PM
Depending on what your sawing, if you want wide boards or slabs for table tops you want a band mill.  Steve

This is true.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

TKehl

It boils down to budget and what sizes will be handled most of the time.

EZ Boardwalk 40 will make a 36" cut, but it is manual.

If 95-99% of the work can be handled by a regular sized mill that is in your budget, that would be a great starting point.  Stack the big ones for having someone with a big mill or swinger/slabber come in for a day or two.  I know there is a guy in Fayetteville, AR that can make a 48" cut.  Mine can as well, and OK isn't too far for a good pile.   ;D  I'm sure there are others as well.

Those big ones aren't very common, BTW.  24" and up, Save them for furniture, benches, etc.  Should be much better $ than just lumber.

They sure seem to grow slower up here.  A 60 year old cedar tree seems to be more in the 14-18" range with the biggest ones on our land probably in the 28-30" range.  Will have to count rings when i cut the next batch.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

dgdrls

Oh no Mon Ami,  I'll not go there, :D

Go to the Paul Bunyan show in O-hi-O in early October
and test drive as many as you can,

best
D

killamplanes

For the budget minded sawyer... used mills are pretty common right now. Save ur self a bunch of money you can put toward logging equipment or something just a thought. I see alot of very low houred mills 2-5 yrs old for 30%+ less than new..I was a day late on a tk 2200 2 months ago. Story of my life :D
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

MbfVA

I think the point about buying a mill economically that will do 90+ percent of the logs you'll encounter is good advice. The extra cost of acquiring a mill big enough to do just a few percent of the logs is probably not worth it.

Both of the demos I received during my evaluation phase were on band mills, a Norwood HD36 and a Woodmizer LT40, and both involved cedar logs.  Softwood is a lot easier than hardwood when it comes to milling, duh, esp if your mill is manual.  Pushing the Norwood manual mill on cedar was a breeze.  The woodmizer had automatic feed, but that crazy WM automatic return whose speed cannot be changed almost whacked me.  Don't stumble.

Norwood has the advantage of upgradeability, from manual to whatever degree of hydraulics you wish, after the sale.

I will be milling a lot of cedar for the home build that we're getting ready to do (our land has a lot of cedar and fortunately, a lot of hardwood as well), and for that I probably would prefer a bandmill over my Peterson swing blade, but I am so inexperienced that I cannot really know that in adVance.  But I do covet the bandmills that I see for sale. I've just got to get my wife to the same level of coveting.
www.ordinary.com (really)

scsmith42

Backwoods - welcome to the FF!

My grandfather was born in Stillwater back in the late 1800's and my wife graduated from Vet school there not too many years ago.  It's a great place!

Lots of good advice on this thread thus far.  I operate a Baker hydraulic band mill, a Peterson WPF swing-blade mill, and a dedicated slabber.  When working by myself, the Baker is my first choice due to the significant reduction of workload for the sawyer that the hydraulics provide (and greater production rate).

There are a lot of good brands, but for the needs that you have listed I would strongly advise you to consider a mill with automated log loading, board dragback, clamping, and toe board adjustments.  For some mills these features are hydraulic, and on others electric, but in all instances purchasing a mill with these options will make your life much easier - and your productivity much greater.

Nothing against the other mills, but if you do a lot of portable work it's hard to beat a Woodmizer for the speed of setup.  I would not be afraid of a used mill, but recognize that certain items on a sawmill are considered to be "consumables", including blades as well as roller guides.

Personally after trying Woodmizer, Cooks and Lenox bands, I now use the new Kasco 7/40 bands on my Baker and am very pleased with them for milling oak.  For sawing cedar a 4 degree band may provide you with greater throughput but I'll leave the band recommendations to others that have much more experience than I.

You may find a 45hp farm tractor to be somewhat limited when it comes to log and lumber handling capabilities, as opposed to a dedicated forklift or skid steer loader with greater lifting capacity and quick change attachments such as a grapple rake and a set of pallet forks.  Plus it is much easier to see the tips of your forks with a forklift and skid steer, as opposed to a farm tractor.

Best of success to you in your new endeavors.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MbfVA

Possibly helpful note: my New Holland TN90F tractor has a Quickie 920 loader with a skid steer attaching plate--about a $500 add 10 years ago.  If I am not mistaken, a lot of other tractor brands have jumped on the bandwagon of offering SSL connectors on the front.

I have an A300 Bobcat, with Power Bobtach, much more fun to change attachments.  But if all you have is the farm tractor, and you don't want to spend yourself into oblivion like I did, get an SSL attaching plate for your loader.

That last sentence was added at the direction of my spouse.

My loader forks have hydraulic spacing adjustment, one of the other benefits of spending into near bankruptcy.  If you search this forum, you will find that some folks have had trouble with dropping logs onto their mills, a little too abruptly.   Having hydraulic load loading from ground level is almost a must with a band mill on a trailer.   Especially if you're 66 like I am.   My Peterson swing blade WPF mills logs on ground-level, almost.

MbfVA

By the way, Ian's post was full of good well-organized thoughts & information, as is always the case with Ian  from what I've seen in my brief few months here.  The velcro comment that followed it was cute (I love that kind of humor), but don't let that deter you from recognizing how good his information and advice is.

As your neighborhood retired CPA, I advise you to make sure the "economics" makes sense under whatever risk factor scenario you want to put in there.  We bought our stuff knowing that it would be useful building our house at the farm/to make best use of our timber, but beyond that, if it doesn't continue to make sense to keep it, I'll put it all up for sale.  My Peterson WPF is very well-made, and cuts beautiful stuff, but I have too much money even in this used machine to let it sit there.

grouch

(OT: The velcro comment was intended to highlight, and possibly cause a 2nd look at, the sensible one it referenced.  ;D )
Find something to do that interests you.

Bandmill Bandit

All good advice in here so far.

To boil it down IMHO;

Simple to maintain, operate = Orange
Easy good ergonomic off bearing, access for service, maintenance and repair (when you have to) = Orange
Company support = ORANGE
General operations cost = Orange
Resale value = Orange

Result MORE $$$$ in your JEANS

I am NOT biased!  ;D

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

farmfromkansas

Personally, I would look at used mills.  Some guys buy a new mill and plan to custom saw, and don't get enough business to justify their mill.  So it is for sale.  A neighbor of mine bought a used Timberking 1600 for a really good price, it had not ran in some time, and had to have the carb cleaned before it would start.  It is a really nice smaller mill with hydraulic feed and up/down.  You will also find that a skidsteer is a valuable tool around the mill, as you can see much better than from a tractor seat when you are loading logs on the mill.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!