Dust collectors

Started by dean herring, August 19, 2017, 09:09:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

Fixing to buy a dust collector and would like some information
Was looking at Grizzly 3hp cyclone
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

pineywoods

Good to see you back on here Dean, been missing you..The harbor freight collector is basicly the same unit, a little bit cheaper. I have 2 of them, one on the sawmill, the other on a large planer. Only problem I've had with them is the on-off switch is junk. Not a problem for me, I just hard wired around the switch.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Den-Den

I have a 2hp Grizzly Cyclone and have been happy with it for about 5 years.  I did have trouble with the start control but considered it minor.  It is noisy but I can not compare that to other units as I have not used them.  Using 6" PVC pipe for ducting and see no reason for more bigger unit although a larger chip bin would be a good idea (I got the 35 gallon).
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Kbeitz

Biggest problem is getting it delivered with out it being squashed.
The packaging is garbage. They need to come in a wood crate not
a cardboard box...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

123maxbars

I have the one that harbor freight sales, great machine and very inexpensive,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Savannahdan

Kbeitz reminded me of when I bought my Steel City dust collection system from Woodcraft.  It came in a cardboard box which took a big beating.  Not sure how it got here unscathed and after 14 years it's still working great.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

dean herring

Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

YellowHammer

I had a Griz 3 hp, worked fine. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

DDW_OR

"let the machines do the work"

clay3

I've had one for about 5 years now, It stands over 9' tall and is very heavy, I had a hard time standing it up by myself. I used an 8'' elbow and 8'' 3' straight pipe to the top then reduced to an 8''x6''x6'' wye, one 6'' line down each side of the shop to the ends about 40' each with 9 drops. It has plenty of suction to the end. my shop is 20'x48'. I like it I've no trouble with it but a little eastern white through the planer will fill that 55 gal drum very quickly.
Clay.

Thank You Sponsors!