iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log length

Started by Jmiller160, August 19, 2017, 08:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiller160

What is the idea length for logs for a house?  My mill will only cut 16ft right now..

rjwoelk

Are you thinking a log house. if so most of the log homes were desighed to be boxes and if you keep that in mind when drawing something on paper just keep it to the 16 ft. One can jog out or in and come up with some very nice plans. We have drawing for a 18oo sq ft main floor and it is 16 ft logs  because that was the length of log in the size we could get locally. We have increased out cutting capacity to 37 ft but it probably will not make a difference on the design. This cabin is 22x26 with a 6 ft deck and overhang, the eaves are 3 ft overhang all around.(the pic did not show up)
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Jmiller160

Yea a log house on a block foundation

Don P

Traditionally logs only bore on the corners and that was the reason for full length logs. On a fully supporting foundation and if the logs bear on each other there is no reason there cannot be joints in the length of a log row. Usually there aren't that many full length runs as well with windows and door breaking up most walls. There are usually a couple of header rows at the top of the walls, they can also have joints well scattered and over sections of wall. Log home kits often come 16' max. I built for one company that sent 8' wall logs  ::).

MbfVA

Heartland out of Canada states they use no members over 9 feet long-- that is also the maximum length of their shipping packages, which they say saves a lot of money.

Our restaurant bldg is real log (in front), and we have done several repairs successfully using "piecing in".  Unity connotes strength.

Your location may be different in this regard, but around here new log homes seem popular with some folks but present challenges upon resale, and insurance companies will ream on the homeowners policies.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Don P

There's also the Hudson Bay log building or piece-en-piece method which is actually a better method. James Mitchell's "The Craft of Modular Post and Beam" is a good one to look at.

Jmiller160

Thanks fellas, that makes me feel better about cutting 16 footers, I'm going to extend my mill to do 22 eventually.

MbfVA

Can you give us a link, Don?  I want to use our own timber but the shorter the pieces that are acceptable the better the yield.
www.ordinary.com (really)

Don P

http://www.northwestjournal.ca/PostCon.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-and-plank

The method uses grooved posts that accept the infill logs. The posts are topped with a beam that is sized to span over whatever the post spacing is. The frame and roof do not settle which avoids one of the bigger challenges with log building.

Thank You Sponsors!