iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have experience with Green Heart wood ?

Started by plantman, August 18, 2017, 10:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plantman

I visited a unique lumber warehouse the other day and they milled and sold just about everything under the sun. I was asking about a wood that would be appropriate for building a flatbed truck body. My first thought was white oak but the owner suggested Green Heart which is a South American tree used primarily for dock pilings. He claims that it was extremely hard and extremely rot resistant. His lumber came from recycled pilings. So I was just wondering if anyone  had experience with this wood.

Don P

It will last as long as stone and weighs about the same  :D.
Page 2-24 in the USFPL wood handbook;
https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplgtr/fplgtr190/chapter_02.pdf

plantman

Are there importers of this wood ? I recently got a price of $5 b/f for rough sawn Green heart which didn't seem too bad. It was wood salvaged from dock pilings. Not very serious about buying but I'd just like to know. If it were available much cheaper it might be interesting .

Don P

You'll find it at coastal boatbuilders supply yards. I ran into it at Paxton's near Wilmington, NC. That price seems very reasonable. I'd look it over for marine borers and planer blade eating attachments.

Ipe would be more available and in that same durability/ density range. Your local building supply can get it.

Thank You Sponsors!