iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ID from Bark?

Started by PA_Walnut, August 18, 2017, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PA_Walnut

I have very large tree that is so tall it's taller than the rest of the canopy and there's no limbs lower, so I can't see the leaves. I have gotten opinions from walnut to oak. Can anyone help? Much thanks.

(you'd imagine from my forum ID, I'm hoping for walnut) ;)

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

bluthum

I'm surprised there isn't a hole in the understory canopy you can peer through to see if the leaves are simple or compound.
How about below, on the ground? Around here you'll find shed leaves this time of year under walnut. Also last years leaves may hold a clue.

WDH

Looks more like ash to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I can see where it could be Walnut, but I can't make Ash out of it.  Not what I am used to seeing anyway.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

TKehl

More pictures please.

I lean Walnut with the deeper ridges.  Don't see enough Ash my way to comment.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

etroup10

I'm going to guess tulip poplar
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Magicman

The OP needs binoculars or better yet, a camera with a "long" lens.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

I will make my way up there again today and get some more clues. Magicman gave me food for thought: I usually leave technology stuff behind, since I get in the woods and saw in order to get a break, but I have great long lenses and I kinda forgot--I have a drone that I can fly over it and snap some pix!  ;D

Stay tuned...
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

WDH

OK, I am easing over to the walnut side  :).  Check the pith on a twig if you can get to one, and if walnut, the pith will be chambered.  Also, if you take a pocket knife and bore a little hole through the outer bark and into the inner bark, the inner bark will be a very distinctive bright yellow color if it is black walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!