iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saws

Started by Riwaka, August 17, 2017, 09:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riwaka

I am looking for a reasonably powerful pole saw.
I know power tools are built all over the place now.
Guessing a Husky, Makita or something to try.

ZeroJunk

Not sure how young and tough you are. I have a Stihl HT131 and it is at the edge of what I can handle. It is definitely strong, but heavy.

ButchC

Quote from: ZeroJunk on August 17, 2017, 10:04:37 PM
Not sure how young and tough you are.

X2! I am near 61 (and not tough) but have about 20 fruit trees to keep in line and have run the top of the line Echo, model escapes me?  and also the 131 Stihl and either one will quickly get your attention or more accurately the attention of your arms and back.  A consideration is how much work you have for one?  If homeowner then any make or model of gasoline power is going to quickly be a problem if it sits 11 1/2 months out of the year, just the way it is with today's fuel. If  the is a  need for big a big power gasoline engine pole saw every now and then it's one of VERY few tools that I personally would rent instead of owning.  My neighbor has a 110V electric one which I thought was a joke until I watched him use it. Load the  generator, cord a saw in the Gator and have at it,, just a thought.  Running a pole saw of any kind is less than fun,, real less than fun during the learning curve.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

gspren

Depending on your usage naturally but I like my Stihl Combi saw that uses the same motor and I have weed eater, pole saw, hedge trimmer, and blower attachments, also one extension. For use around the farm it works fine and with all the attachments gas doesn't go bad. When trimming tees I do as much as possible without the extension because that extra few feet gets much harder on the body.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

I have a Husky
Sent my 20 yr old helper to prune my Red oak trees, about 600- or so.
about killed him and took 4 days.
I am soon to be 70-10 so dont plan on running it myself.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

I've got a cheapie Poulan .One of the only two new saws I've ever  bought .It's not bad for what it is .Much better since I got rid of the guard chain it came with .Why would anybody put a guard chain on a pole saw?So what if it kicks back it's 8 feet away from you .Good grief .
Any way it's fairly dependable and is light weight .Not an oak slayer just a trim the tree in the back yard type contraption  that beats a step ladder and a trim saw .

joe_indi

Ahem, with 60+ users in the discussion, somebody else did post this on another thread but something like this is what is needed. ;D

http://www.popsci.com/finnish-filmmakers-gave-drone-chainsaw

https://youtu.be/6Viwwetf0gU

DaveP

A local tree service here has two Oregon 40 volt battery powered pole saws.  They  use them in there bucket for limbs they can't reach.  I tried one and the weight was much less then the gas powered saws. It felt good enough that I ordered one the same day.  Should be here Monday.

DaveP

Just received my Oregon 40 volt battery operated pole saw.  It weighs about 13 pounds and is well balanced.  Extends to 10 feet and has an 8 inch bar.  I an 81 years old and  spend about two hours raising up trees that my wife was complaining about without any fatigue.  I cut branches up to 4 inches.  It is much lighter then the gas powered saws I have used.

Oregon add says the battery will last for 500 2 inch cuts.

Thank You Sponsors!