iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

coffee Table project

Started by rjwoelk, August 17, 2017, 10:37:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

Cut some alder several years ago and have these pieces to deal with.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ljohnsaw

Wow, now that is unique!  I'd be tempted to just join them so they look like a big letter C, attach some legs or base, finish with a good clear seal and put a round piece of glass on top.  Looks like it might be close to 3 foot in diameter when done?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Crusarius

I agree. Was thinking same thing.

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

rjwoelk

Thanks chet was looking for that department and did not scroll down far enough.
I will post a pic of it in C form so you folks can get a better gander at it.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

So you fellows are thinking like this.  Just a bit over the 36 inches. and one could put a glass top on it or in the centre.

Ljohnsaw

Perfect!  What's the size the other way?  I'd opt to put a 40" round glass top on it so it hangs a little over the edge.  With or without a bevel.  Then you wouldn't have to worry about what drink someone is placing/spilling on it.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

One round piece of glass covering the entire table. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the glass top.
It is around 28 inches the other way.

rjwoelk

So for joining them to gether glue and dowels?

Ljohnsaw

That would work or a spline or biscuit joints.  If you put a 48" glass top on it, it would make a great breakfast/dining nook table!
John Sawicky

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I like KBeits second idea. Could put rectangular glass on it that way.

The other option is just a small glass infill over the center in the C shape. I have never been a big fan of glass. Especially with glasses. Seems the two have a tendency to kill each other.

Magicman

That would depend upon what the other side of one of the pieces looked like, and then they would not be book matched.  It's easier done with photoshop.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

If they are fliped and in a S you lose the chicks in the pics :D

Brad_bb

"C" shape for sure!  Bob said they were Alder or that's what he was told.  I don't know what Alder looks like but with the red streaks I was wondering if it was elder - as in Box elder?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

DPatton

???Was thinking the same thing Brad! Looks like boxelder to me too.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

rjwoelk

Yes my good friends it is Box Elder.

21incher

I would cut them both on a angle and go for a more rounded top with 2 glue joints.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

grouch

Quote from: rjwoelk on August 17, 2017, 04:56:21 PM
So you fellows are thinking like this.  Just a bit over the 36 inches. and one could put a glass top on it or in the centre.

Looks like you have an almost square hole in the center for a pedestal post. The top of the post could be pierced with a suitable batten that supports both wings of the top. 3 heavy, curved legs at the bottom of the pedestal to keep the thing from being tipsy. Hmm. Maybe even carve a depression in the top of the post, like the big cockleshells in corner cupboards. It's a chip 'n' dip table!

I don't like glass over wood. (But you're not making it to suit me).
Find something to do that interests you.

rjwoelk

Love all the suggestions fellers, great ideas are just a grinding,  ;D
Grouch I like the pedistal idea, something with lots of flare, how about a big ceder log butt for that, Will be getting some Birch firewood in and he has a bigger log to throw on the load maybe it will be flaired enough, will see and wait. Western Red cedar would be better though.

rjwoelk

Something like this. with the flair to the floor .

grouch

If you use a flare, you'll probably want to hog out the center of the bottom somehow, so that it sits still. Think of the depression in the underside of a cup or bowl.
Find something to do that interests you.

rjwoelk

Thanks grouch, you got a point, as as the log drys it will get to rocking and rolling. angle grinder with a flapper disc, or course 50 grit belt sander would do it, i doubt if one needs to take out much more than3/8 inch if that.

Thank You Sponsors!