iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Contractor's License for Logging

Started by Horselog, August 17, 2017, 09:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

Has anyone heard that you need a contractor's license to log?  I'm specifically interested in Virginia where I'm at, but I'd be curious about other states. I had an unofficial person just tell me that I needed a contractor's license to log, but I've never even heard of anyone mention it in relation to logging, and I've been logging for 15 years. 

I know there are licenses you need, such as state and local business licenses, but I'm specifically wondering about a contractor's license.

It would seem to me that contractor's licenses are for situations where you are being paid by someone to complete a task or project, which isnt the case with logging. One way or the other, I'm paying them. Not the other way around.

Thoughts?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

whitepine2

treeslayer2003

here in md, we have a forest products operators license and a sediment and erosion control card. they are not that hard to get. i suggest you talk with your county forester and or soil conservation office.

mills

In Kentucky you have to be a licensed Master Logger. Takes three days and around $150 to get them, and then eight hours and $75 every three years to keep them.

Magicman

Attending our County Forestry Association "Field Days" counts toward our Professional Foresters/Loggers continuing education and license requirements.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Horselog

Those licenses mentioned aren't what I'm talking about.  From what I understand, there's a license you need to contract, or be a contractor.  At least that's what this individual told me, who isn't in the logging industry.  In addition, you also need your trade related licenses and certifications.  We have SHARP logger certification in Virginia, which is similar to KY Master Logger and other states, it's a 3 day course, with continuing ed.  Right now it's voluntary, but some mills won't buy from you unless you're SHARP certified.  But that's not what I'm talking about.

Apparently in VA, there's Class, C, B, and A licenses, the C being the lowest dollar amount per contract limit, as well as yearly limit.  Again, this is in addition to a logging or trade-specific license.  I still haven't heard anyone mention anything like this with logging. 
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

luvmexfood

A phone call to you county building official will probably give you an answer. Better yet, and as much as possible, I try and email so I get a written answer. Eliminates the "I didn't tell him that" question if something ever comes up about it. You could also contact the Virginia Dept of Forestry but then you need to be prepared to answer any questions they may ask.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Don P

I'm a class A licensed contractor in VA... It doesn't have anything to do with logging, never has, never will, they've got plenty on their plate without barking up that tree. You can look it up on the DPOR website.

MbfVA

In Virginia though, the Department of forestry does like to know what you're doing, certainly if the logging job is of any size and stuff is being sold, and they will advise of requirements on things like erosion control, etc.  I would agree with Don that Virginia does not require contractors license for logging.  All in all, we're a fairly low regulations state.   I'm not sure how long that will continue though as we get more purple.

You are likely not that far from the famous or infamous Jason Rutledge over in Floyd.  I grew up in Salem.
www.ordinary.com (really)

PA_Walnut

Quote from: MbfVA on August 31, 2017, 03:23:36 AM
In Virginia though, the Department of forestry does like to know what you're doing...

They wanna make sure they can get a piece of the pie, if there's any crumbs left. VA is even worse than PA. Met a man making bourbon down in the mountains of Virginny. He does it legit (or it would appear). Told me "the man" gets over 1/2 his proceeds. He isn't legally allowed to sell it, so has a taped-off corner of his place that is "owned" by the state. He sells the liquor to the state (at their super-discounted rate) which he can then sell as a representative of the state in said tape-off area. Collected the cash and sends those crooks their part. They never touch it, have no dog in the game, and just jamb-up a hard-working bloke. Dang evil genius.  :o :-\
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

nativewolf

not sure how liquor equates to forestry.  Liquor regs are left over from prohibition and slow to change as many religious groups still oppose relaxation.  If you don't like your liquor laws talk to the local pastors. 

Don is ..pretty august in this state in regards to logging/timber framing and you can trust him on this.  Logging is almost unregulated and frankly I'd rather see more emphasis on reducing high grading than not, lot of crappy logging killing growing stock for the future.  However, that's hard to do. 
Liking Walnut

MbfVA

Quote from: nativewolf on August 31, 2017, 07:04:47 AM
If you don't like your liquor laws talk to the local pastors. 

Don is ..pretty august in this state in regards to logging/timber framing and you can trust him on this.  Logging is almost unregulated and frankly I'd rather see more emphasis on reducing high grading than not, lot of crappy logging killing growing stock for the future.  However, that's hard to do.

Agree Agree
And I also agree that Virginia will be slow to get with it on those things. High grading is a stupid tragedy for the land. I don't think it'll be changed by regulation, but education may work in the long run.  The problem is when people need money they go after their logs.   Forestry stewardship plan?   What's that?  Earl Hamner would confirm that about Nelson County-- you will notice that the Waltons had a pretty active sawmill, and likely no stewardship plan to follow.  Our forester has a masters degree from Duke, and while as a Virginia Tech Hokie I totally resent that, he's a good man, anyway.

MbfVA

Another Duke grad, a horse logger who worked in Northern Virginia, once told me "don't take the daddy trees out while they're still producing".  Take out the ones that are "past their prime". How hard is that to understand?

MbfVA

Quote from: PA_Walnut on August 31, 2017, 06:07:40 AM
Quote from: MbfVA on August 31, 2017, 03:23:36 AM
In Virginia though, the Department of forestry does like to know what you're doing...

They wanna make sure they can get a piece of the pie, if there's any crumbs left. VA is even

(or it would appear). Told me "the man" gets over 1/2 his proceeds. He isn't legally allowed to

I went to a forest land owners retreat last spring, and I believe the main thing they're concerned about is erosion and other environmental factors, when there is a commercial sale involved. No money involved to the agency, no fees.  VDOF is a pretty helpful bunch.  Dept of ABC?   Take it from a restaurant owner 31+ years, they are big pain in the a**.  State Corporation commission is about as bad, law unto themselves, won't even take your postmark is evidence of timely filing, as will the IRS and the VA Department of Taxation!

PA_Walnut

Quote from: nativewolf on August 31, 2017, 07:04:47 AM
not sure how liquor equates to forestry.  Liquor regs are left over from prohibition and slow to change as many religious groups still oppose relaxation.  If you don't like your liquor laws talk to the local pastors.

Both are examples of "the man" putting nose in where it doesn't belong, mostly for control and profit.
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Don P

I think that tax rate on liquor is the same nationwide. It has been in effect since another Virginian, our first president and a whiskey manufacturer, enacted it to help pay for the Revolution. Which lead to the Whiskey Rebellion.

DPOR's index is here, nothing for loggers or moonshiners but if you want to go into professional wrestling you need that ticket  :D;
http://www.dpor.virginia.gov/professionsandoccupations/

inmatez

Personally I don't like it, but it is what it is.

rusticretreater

I read extensively and have not come across anything mentioning a contractor's license.  Another source of information would be the Virginia Loggers Association.  https://www.valoggers.org/
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

SwampDonkey

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a 'license' is referring to liability and workers compensation coverage. Outside of that, the regular certification programs your state offers. Of course if there is any road building, where streams are crossed there is likely some type of 'water course alteration certificate' involved, but that could be covered by the road builder, who might be a third party. Lots of loggers don't build their own roads unless they are in the land clearing business to. Time taken to build roads is taken away from cut'n wood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!