iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spruce/Fir Pulp Price

Started by Ramicorn, February 10, 2022, 07:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramicorn

Hey Folks,

Just wondering what everyone is getting for there softwood pulpwood these days in there area. Here in Nova Scotia we are getting $41 a ton (CAD) which is a roadside price. Has to be all spruce and fir though, been the same price for last 3 years or so. So just curious what everyone else is getting. 

Thanks

lshobie

55 a ton roadside for red pine in ottawa area - not worth cutting with the price of fuel.  Too bad everyone cant hold back cutting.
John Deere 440 Skidder, C5 Treefarmer,  Metavic Forwarder, Massey 2500 Forklift, Hyundai HL730 Wheel Loader, Woodmizer LT40, Valley Edger,  Alaskan Mill, Huskys, Stihls, and echos.

DMcCoy

$28 a ton last summer.  I believe it was the same 25 yrs ago.  

Blue Noser

Quote from: Ramicorn on February 10, 2022, 07:01:26 PM
Hey Folks,

Just wondering what everyone is getting for there softwood pulpwood these days in there area. Here in Nova Scotia we are getting $41 a ton (CAD) which is a roadside price. Has to be all spruce and fir though, been the same price for last 3 years or so. So just curious what everyone else is getting.

Thanks
The margins sure are slim at $41/tonne roadside. What's the studwood/log market like in your area? Trucking rates take a big bite of the rates in my area. I sure wish I was closer to central NS.

SwampDonkey

Irvings in southern NB pay about $35/Mtonne and Arbec pays around $55/Mtonne. Irving only buying through contracts with either large wood brokers or marketing boards. A glut of pulpwood and few buyers keeps prices diminished.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ramicorn

Bluenoser- Ya a little tight forsure. We don't cut many logs but think most folks around here are getting 90-92 for stud, and ya the trucking comes out of that which is usually between 13-17 around where Im at.

Swamp Donkey- Does arbec buy much wood?

SwampDonkey

The note I see on the marketing board's spec sheet is that it is all allocated weekly by the SNB marketing board. I assume a ticketing system is the usual process. So outside wood might have to go through a brokerage. But not a wide open market it seems. And I believe the closer to the mill (Miramichi, the less money) because these mills usually go by a trucking zone scheme. So even if Irving is cheaper, it is closer haul in the area of Sussex. That is why one does not take prices as face value. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!