iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 240b rear ring and pinion chuck

Started by David-L, August 16, 2017, 07:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

I have a 240B 1995 timberjack cable skidder with a clark 3 speed tranny. I have noticed that the engagement of the pinion and the ring must be getting some wear as it makes some noise engaging once and awhile.( clunk ) I do as the manual says and don't treat this as a power shift as the manual says to be stopped before shifting or reversing. How much is to much play. I have checked the u-joints and the transfer case seems good. Thanks. Any info pertaining to this will be helpful. I have a parts breakdown.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Spartan

Your going to have slop from the no spin and the planetary gears.  clunks can be a result of any of those as well.
Only way I know to check the pinion play is to pull the axles and look at the ring gear through the drain hole.  Rotate the pinion by hand and you should feel the engagement and see when it is turning.  Then you can also do the dial indicator stuff if you feel the need.  Mine clunks, has for years.
but my pinion is pretty tight for tolerances. 

240b

doesn't that have a locking diff in the rear?  electric or hydraulic actuation?   

David-L

Locking Diff, electric. Only use it once and awhile to keep it working.

Spartan

bushmechanic

That year of Timberjack would of had Eaton differentials, Wr series.

David-L

Thank You Sponsors!