Husqvarna 55 cylinder options?

Started by gman98, August 16, 2017, 06:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I'm looking to modify a saw as a little project and husky 55's seem to be pretty cheap and readily available, so I figured I would start with one.  I was wondering what XP model piston/cylinder assemblies will work on a 55, and what I will see for results?
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

celliott

The 55 had two different cylinders. There is a closed port 51 (or 53?)cc top end that is more powerful, but pistons are hard to come by. The open ports are plentiful but you won't see alot of gains modifying them. I believe there is an aftermarket closed port top end available that would be good to tinker with.

As for other XP family members that would swap over, I believe the 55 is the largest of that family, and no XP top end would swap over, but I'm not positive on that.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

MrWhoopee

Since you don't have the saw yet, maybe look for a cheap 61 and upgrade to a 272xp. I'm doing one right now. Simple upgrade, parts readily available.
Phineas J Whoopee

Burning pine & hoarding oak

mike_belben

Absolutely jump up to the husky 61 family.  Thatll give you way more options.

I weld a dome on 2 ringed pistons for chinese 72cc jugs.  Port them, debur all the crappy edges and drill/ tap for a decompression right on top then cut the plastic to fit over it.  They balance well with a 24.

Starters are kinda weak so the decompressor is pretty important.
Praise The Lord