iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

After the sanity check!

Started by Satamax, August 16, 2017, 04:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Stripnaked!

Guys, one question for you. It would be complicated for me to fit the hydraulic pump on the end of the crankshaft, without raising the radiator.

Hard also, to use the space for the PTO, the gearbox shaft isn't standard. I have hard time finding parts.

I have studs on the crankshaft pulley. And i have a three groove one that i could fit there. and a matching 2 groove for the pump.

Do you think i could power the winch with two 1/2" belts on the pump?

Thanks.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Satamax

I've got this on the rear transfer case.

Anybody familliar with this.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

mike_belben

Run the machine and see if its an engine speed pto or a ground speed.  Also if it is always live or if it has a neutral, if it reverses etc.  Would be good if you could determine an rpm with an IR tachometer.  Googling for a manual or parts breakdown of the tcase might help.  If theyre defunct you can always try calling whoever bought them out for old literature in archive, ive successfully done so with funk transfer cases.  Takes some time.

What family are the belts, A, B, C etc?  How many gpm do you want, and at what pressure and rpm?

American medium duty plow trucks with automatic trans often use a belt driven pto clutched pump just fine.  Im inclined to say no problem.  It is said that the fixed fan on a dt466 can consume something outrageous, like 60hp, at max rpm.  I dunno.  but its a pair of A belts on mine.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

The PTO on the transfer case is on the end of the gearbox shaft.

So gear dependent, with a neutral. Tcase has a neutral too. So i could winch without having the wheels engaged.

But i'm wondering if i don't go shaft there. I have a lathe, a milling machine. and i can tackle the male part for this. And the housing.

And have a little pump for the two or three rams i need.

V belts were A type. No good!

Satamax

Mike thanks a lot for bearing with me.

What kind of cable speed should i be looking at for the winch?

Riwaka

Any chance of finding a cheap hydraulic power pack? Run the winch with a separate engine/ hydraulic pump/ oil tank mounted on the back.
I imagine if you break a housing/ case on the old transfer unit it might be time consuming to find a replacement.

mike_belben

Glad to help. 

Wallensteins max around 250 fpm on a 540 PTO.  Allied W400 skidder winch does 367 fpm.

Just keep in mind the faster the line speed the more input torque required to pull same log.  High input torque places more load on that rare tcase as riwaka mentioned.

12 gpm out of your A belts at 3000psi using "central hydraulic" pump setup might be the fastest route. 

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Pumps/Clutch-Pumps-Hydraulic/1-45-cu-in-Hydraulic-Clutch-Pump-w-Dual-Groove-V-Belt-Pulley-9-1737.axd

American 5ton military trucks had 20k worm gear winches on them with hydraulic or pto power and freespool, usually garwood.  I believe the pumps made 14gpm at 1000rpm or about 25gpm at governed speed. 

Tulsa and braden are two other common brands and are also typically on knuckle booms and crane/hoist trucks.  Ive always hoped to find a dual drum wrecker winch with the swivel blocks for my skidder project, like how the euro machines are set up.
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks a lot guys.

Well, gearbox and tcase are not that rare. Used on lots of army trucks. It's the pto which are rare. Even more the bottom one, than the gearbox top shaft one.

Mike, i don't quite get what the dual winches are for ?

mike_belben

Just handy to have two independant cables. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Smidgeo pron!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUegmKEeimA

Pulls like a charm, needs a winch tho. Turns on a dîme, with it's four wheel steer. I need to fix the actuator of the rear locker. Change the fuel and filters. It stinks. An oil change would be good too.

lopet

Glad you got her going. 8)
But if someone drags a log like that on a gravel road he should be the one who cuts or saws it.  ;D ;D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: lopet on September 23, 2017, 08:15:03 PM
Glad you got her going. 8)
But if someone drags a log like that on a gravel road he should be the one who cuts or saws it.  ;D ;D

Well, anyway, it'll go on my saw. But i might debark and run the pressure washer to it.

No choice, i have no winch nor a  up and down log basket with rollers. Yet!  :( The bridge above this road is about to fail. So i couldn't go with my crane. And i had to drag it on the tiny path in the woods. So, i might as well carry on. This is not my tree. One of a friend. But i dragged the three firewood ones the same.

Mind you the video is crappy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6dYPnLW6n8

Satamax

Also, i have 5 nice saw trees, under the chairlift i work on in the winter. That i'll need to pull before the winter. And if i don't have the winch, it will end up the same as this one.  :( :( :(

And it doesn't appear that i will be able to buy the winch any time soon.

Satamax

Well, broken the adapter piece of the crane's jib. :(

With this one.
I'll put pics later. I can't do it from the phone.

Satamax

Here you go! 1.73 m3

A bit much for my jib!  :(

Satamax

Liteul progress!

Now, it need a fairlead, a PTO, a fairlead support. An hydraulic pump. New batteries.

mike_belben

I heard peppy lepieu saying "little" when i read it just now  :D

So that center pto unit is the one you did end up buying?  How is it gonna be controlled on your rig?
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hi Mike. 

It's not that small. Can hold 393 feet approximately of 1/2 cable. 

It's a weird unit. 

It has a dog clutch. Which i would have preferred to be friction clutch. Like can car and gearmatic.   It free-spools, locks/ There is an inverter so can work both ways, which can be a really nice feature. 

And there is a neutral in between forward and reverse.  So i could skip the dog clutch on the pto. 

It will be controlled from the cabin. Since with the dog clutch, i need to clutch the gearbox, to engage the winch, so the PTO doesn't turn. 

Some idiot has made a ratchet with the old brake band lever, and welded some stubs of metal to act as ratchet teeth. 

I haven't decided what to do yet with this. I'd like to have a disc brake with two big calipers. 

What do you think of the winch position? Do i bring it further back? Or leave it there? 

Thanks. 

mike_belben

Quote from: Satamax on May 16, 2018, 05:05:37 PM
Hi Mike.

It's not that small.

What do you think of the winch position? Do i bring it further back? Or leave it there?
No no, i was busting your stones, you said "liteul progress" which i assume is a real frenchified spelling of "little."  
Id keep it where it is if thats convenient for setting up of controls, access to oil draina and grease zerks etc etc.  Your logs are the rear end weight so the rest you want kinda forward to keep the wheelies down.  Only time nose heavy will hurt is backing up hill.  But you could winch backward up hill if needed.  
I would put 2 rollers on your fairlead tower, like ladder rungs.  One high and one as low as the cable can go without rubbing frame.  The high lead puts max lift on the log but it also tries the hardest to wheelie the truck.  This is greatly reduces by pulling low.  On my tractor and quad i had 3 points, hi, medium and right off the ground.  The lowest point was stablest and most powerful winching point in each case.  I could winch stuff in that i couldnt drag by tires engaging the dirt.

Lawn tractor rims make a pretty good fairlead roller.  Big radius, you can pull chain or tackle right up over them and the flanges keep it in the trough. 
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Hello everybody. 

Well, daft question, how thick is the metal backing band on usual band brake winches? 

Because that seems the simpler way. Grind the metal stubs, and use the band brake. 

Thanks. 

Max. 

Satamax

Hi everybody!

I've got craving, bad case of GAS 

I want one of these. 

Kleszcze KRPAN KL2500 TG KANIA WAŁCZ - YouTube

teakwood

that sure looks nice, but i think with just some medium size logs on there it will be to light and lift front tires and loose steering
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

mike_belben

My buddy TJ runs a 3pt grapple.  I think he said this was 30 some foot.  A loader makes a huge difference, as does getting a scoop of ballast in it.

Praise The Lord

Satamax

Thanks guys. 

Teakwood, i won't lift the whole tree, but just pull. The trick to keep the trunk clean, keep the branches on. 

Mike, you've seen the architecture of my thing.  I wouldn't have the grapple that close to the wheels. And also. Most of the weight of this machine is in the front. So may be it would act more as a counterweight. 

Thank You Sponsors!