iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal detectors

Started by fluidpowerpro, May 04, 2022, 07:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluidpowerpro

Does anyone have any experience using a hand held metal detector to find nails in logs? Do the cheap hand held wands work very well?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Patrick NC

I've never used a hand held, but I can tell you that the very best metal detector in the world is a brand new blade! 🤣
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

I have 2 Fisher M scopes [coin finders]. Can't be without them. These metal detectors have 'discrimination'. So in saw logs you set for the most power to find anything metallic and pin point it, then you select different metals and if the find is not iron or steel it will tell you. Knowledge of where the logs grew and how high up the metal was found and with this method you can tell bullets for instance, from nails or worse.  With copper, lead and aluminum you just saw right through.

Stephen1

I use the Garrett hand held, like they use in the airport. It will find hardware on the surface of the logs and on large butt logs we will scan as it will pick upmetal  2-3" down. The problem is the mill eventually interfers. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

KenMac

Quote from: Stephen1 on May 04, 2022, 09:42:20 PM
I use the Garrett hand held, like they use in the airport. It will find hardware on the surface of the logs and on large butt logs we will scan as it will pick upmetal  2-3" down. The problem is the mill eventually interfers.
This  x2.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Cornerstone

Would you care to elaborate please? This is new to me... is the detector mounted on the mill? 
Case 580SK backhoe, New Holland L228 skid steer, Kubota 900rtv, Home made band mill, 1968 Chevy C50 Dump Truck, 1972 C10, 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 dually, all sorts of motorcycles.
Ephesians 3: 17-21

Dan_Shade

I think he means that the mill sets off the detector if the log is on the mill. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Crossroads

I spent $85 on one from Amazon and it never worked that good. I don't remember, but it seems like it was a Garrett. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Ljohnsaw

I got a Garret off a bid site (Amazon returns) for cheap - like $30.  Works great, but yeah, it will "see" the log bunks under a log when on the mill.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Poquo

I have a 20 year old Minelab Explorer, I scan the logs away from the mill. Big metal objects will give a false signal if you are to close.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

dogbo2013

I have used the cheap ones from Harbor Freight and have been impressed. I left the first one in the rain and it killed it, bought a second and it has been just as good. I would guess it can read up to 3-4 deep. Nothing is foolproof, and logs will surprise you. 
GMB

Stephen1

Quote from: Cornerstone on May 04, 2022, 10:51:01 PM

Would you care to elaborate please? This is new to me... is the detector mounted on the mill?
No it is a hand held unit. I usually will scan logs away from the mill and get rid of most surface metal. The hidden metal is the cost of sawing urban logs. I also try to use used blades on butt logs as the best metal detector is a brand new blade! :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

moodnacreek

"the mill is the best metal detector"   means the saw will find metal [too late]. Just a saying and very true.   My Fisher's will find a nail down to 8" so your good with a 16" log checking all around. After that??

Old Greenhorn

I have a garret and the problem I have with it is remembering to use it. ;D It has not yet found metal, but neither has the saw blade. For me, most of the logs I get have been marked with obvious metal when felled and I either remove it then or trim the log. 
 I do not have a habit of scanning every log, in fact I only scan a few here and there. I have to work harder at thinking about that BEFORE the get rolled near the mill.  I know the Garret won't work if you don't use it. :D I also know scanning a log already on the mill is tough to do and mostly a waste of time.
 Good luck with whatever you try. I got my garret at HF and I think it was under $30..
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

John S

I have been using the Garrett for over two years, very reliable. It looks like the HF model, but unlike my experience with the HF ones, the Garrett works.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

rastis

Garrett here as well. It gets used all the time as all we saw are urban logs.  We'll do a scan before it goes on the mill, then a quick swipe in between cuts. Eventually it does pick up the mill as an artifact, but overall we've had great success in saving blades with our process.

terrifictimbersllc

I have a lumber wizard that I will get out if there is suspect metal, with ordinary nails it detects down at most 2 inches. It is good for telling if metal has been cleared in the area, after hitting it, and possibly if there are other nails nearby. It is also super useful when resawing beams, because metal in those is always at the surface. If time is of any value, and there is no metal suspected, scanning a log with a wand is not worthwhile.

If I ever get another wand it would be the Garrett one.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

booman

I used to use the Fisher 1212-X until they stopped making it.  Was great bang for the bucks.   Now just use the cheap one from Harbor Freight and it works amazingly well.   Yes, my backup is a new blade.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!