iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Similar to cedar

Started by etroup10, August 15, 2017, 10:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

etroup10

Sawed this today but not entirely sure what it is. I initially thought it was a white cedar when looking at the log. But I don't think it is. Had bark similar to cedar just thicker and bigger strands. Smells like citronella. Possibly a species of cypress?????? Was in Pennsylvania but i don't believe it to be native
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Ianab

Hard to say with random ornamentals, but maybe Hinoki, Japanese Cypress?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaecyparis_obtusa
QuoteIt is also a popular ornamental tree in parks and gardens, both in Japan and elsewhere in temperate climates, including western Europe and parts of North America.

It's related to both White and Port Orford Cedar, but has a "lemon" sort of smell to the wood.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Probably is Atlantic White Cedar(Chamaecyparis Thyoides).  It ranges along the Atlantic coast from NC to Maine and along parts of the Gulf coast. The look and smell of the lumber is a match.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!