iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another Noob Brush / Clearing Saw question

Started by Carphunter, August 15, 2017, 04:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carphunter

Been reading this and other forums looking for suggestions for a new brush saw.

Family's got 160 acres of land, about half hardwood high ground forest, half, marshier lowland with various popple, brush, oak, etc. in it.

The lower land was flattened by a tornado in 2001 and we knocked everything down back then and retrieved all the wood we could... since then it's been coming back.

We have probably about 2600 yards of trail/road through the property that we mow with tractor.

But the trail gets overhang from the trees/brush along it and we're working on knocking back the edges so we don't have snow/ice problems in winter completely blocking them.

Can't really do it with the tractor or dozer for now... so we've been cutting with an older Efco brush saw and chain saw.

I'm reading up on suggestions for a better saw for this operation as the old efco isn't up to the task.

We're cutting various maple, ironwood, hazel brush, popple, birch along the trail.  When i looked at it, i figured needed a saw that could cut up to 3" in diameter (most of the stuff though is tangled 1/4-3/4" trunk/stalk kind of stuff.

I'd also use the saw if we ever knock down any little spots near dear stands... but we don't generally do "shooting lanes" for hunting.

So, reading this and other forums, I was surprised to see the whole clearing saw class of saws where people are talking about cutting down 6" trees with them instead of chainsaws.

While I could spend the farm on this operation... are the Husky 336 or Stihl 240 the right class of machine for me to be considering (and be plenty enough for me)?    I'm thinking the stihl 560 and similar husky are overkill?

If the 336/240 are overkill... what models are the right target for me?  do Honda's and others enter into the equation?

davewittwer

The 560's a beast, i love mine.  Been running it for a few years without issue.  I don't know about 6" trees but 4" for sure.  Wear ear and eye protection.  She's kind of loud!

AnvilRW

My feedback is the same as Dave's.  There is nothing better or faster for manually clearing brush than the 560 with the right blade for what you're cutting.  I think the 240 is a string trimmer.  You want a brush cutter if you're talking taking down saplings, small trees, woody brush type stuff.
"A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us."

gman98

I have talked to precommercial thinning contractors who run Stihl 560's and husky 555's.  The contractors whose crew runs the huskies are much happier with the maintenance abilities, longevity, and power of the saws.  The contractor running the huskies also seem to be more productive.  These guys are running their saws 10-12 hours a day, 6 days a week, 3 months out of the year for the company I work for.  I would say go with the pro grade husky, keep ethanol out of the tank, and it will last you for years to come.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

ranchguy

I've had a DR string trimmer for about 7 years.  With a Beaver Blade I've cut very well into the thousands of cedar trees.  If you cut with the front it can cut at or below ground, at least on my model.  Of course I have a bit of an issue keeping it out of the dirt.  Not a replacement for what you're mentioning, but works very well for some things, depending.  I've got about 900 acres, cedar "weeds" come up on most of it if not kept in check (I hay and pasture it), needs some more clearing on about 200 acres or so (and about a couple miles of big cedars grown into barb wire fence....).  I can go really fast if they're not flattened, and it's nice not carrying around the weight on long days (when I can get to it).
  http ://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/trimmer-mowers/accessories/blades/12in-beaver-blade-complete-pkg.axd

They changed their trimmers since I got mine, they used to be all aluminum frame.  But, metal parts, bearings, built decent.

Of course, it won't work well in tangled messes either.

Carphunter

I've been getting prices on the Stihls (Husqvarna is proving problematic to find, much less get a price on).   

Deciding how much I'll use the saw, and if the 900-1200 is worth it for the tasks (and will i use it enough to justify).   

Carphunter

well, just ran into a husky dealer that stocks the 555.  costs a couple less than the quotes i've got on the 560's... so it may have just jumped to the head of the list.

do i dare ask the Chevy/Ford question about if either of these brands are more or less difficult to repair than the other (or get repaired)?

My uncle runs both Stihl and Husky chainsaws... and sometimes getting the right parts for his Huskies is a little more difficult because he doesn't have a good dealer/shop near by. 

gman98

Quote from: Carphunter on August 18, 2017, 02:08:46 PM
well, just ran into a husky dealer that stocks the 555.  costs a couple less than the quotes i've got on the 560's... so it may have just jumped to the head of the list.

do i dare ask the Chevy/Ford question about if either of these brands are more or less difficult to repair than the other (or get repaired)?

My uncle runs both Stihl and Husky chainsaws... and sometimes getting the right parts for his Huskies is a little more difficult because he doesn't have a good dealer/shop near by.
Thinning contractors in my area do all their own saw repair.  The ease of maintenance is a selling point of the huskies for them.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

ScottAR

Looking at specs.  Stihl 240 trimmer and the 360 Clearing saw have the same engine or at least the same size and hp rating.   The 360 is a heavier machine by some 3lb. so there's more metal somewhere.

I too lately have been researching these machines and getting down to "how much is enough" question is the most important and hardest to answer.  My choice will be Stihl as the dealer support here is strongest.  I want to keep the ability to use trimmer line on whatever I choose.

Seems silly but I've been watching Youtube demos and looking at folks cutting various brush/weeds.

I keep coming back to the fs460 but wondering if it's overkill for most of my jobs. Course, there's no kill like overkill.  :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Carphunter

I was all set to pull the trigger on the 555, but got a response back from SwampDonkey about whether or not this might be overkill...and he said it very well could be.  That those saws are really for the pros that do a lot of clearing. That i might be ok with a 131 or 240.

I wasn't intending at the start of this search to go chopping down bigger trees...but that would be a plus in some areas we want to make a little space.   i just want to be sure the saw doesn't have issues cutting the edge brush.

I stopped at a shop and looked at the 131 and 240.  they obviously look like heavy weed trimmers.   one shop that only had the 131 and not the 240 said that the 131 4-stroke's torque would probably do just fine compared to the 240's increase in hp.  would like to find someone who's run both for cutting heavy brush or trees to see how they really compare.

still considering the 555... but when you pick all these things up... the 555 is like 22 lbs, the 131/240 are like 15 or 18 respectively... you can feel that weight.    it is obviously a far sturdier device. 

price with tax around here (and putting blades on the 131/240) are like 131/$520, 240/$730, 555/$1240

So... i could spend the extra 5/600 bucks on this... but that's a lot of ching if i'm not gonna use it.

oh... and i've also now just noticed the echo 410... which might be a split the difference deal for less money.

ugh.

ScottAR

First world problems.  :)

I see this (long) vid with a 240.  so 38cc just to make this not about brands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od2CYftOiX4&t=285s

Then I see what 46cc can do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_dQ9TqpLWM

Granted, this guy is a ninja and maybe showing off for the cam just a bit.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Carphunter

neat vids... god knows i've been looking at a bunch of those myself to see  how the 240/131 perform...

while the 460 guy whips along... i do notice it looks like the 240 guy is partially going slower to knock stuff off much closer to the ground.    Something i'd probably end up doing as I hate tripping on this [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] when you get 2-6 inches of snow and can't see it.. or the brush comes back in and hides it :)

ScottAR

I'm mostly listening to the engine lug or lack thereof.  The smaller machine seems to struggle.

If I could hold these things I think this would be easier but at least the big boy is uncommon for my area.
Scott
[Magicman]

Carphunter

i'll tell you... i picked up the Husky 555 and one of the Stihl 240's... you feel the difference.   definite weight in the husky... shaft is shorter and more girth.   it's obviously a workhorse.   

for me... deciding if the 500 or more is worth it to make the jump.   

no one stocks 360/460/560 around here... so they're all shot in the dark guesses if you order.

ScottAR

Indeed. I held a 240 in loop handle and it's heavier than the 131 next to it.  Thinking I'm going for the 460.
I've spent more and got less. If I can't manage it, I can always sell it and get some of my money back.

I have some luxury of time. I wasn't planning on the purchase till late fall.  No point in doing what I'm planning when it's hot out.   ;D
Scott
[Magicman]

ENafziger

I've been running a Stihl FS550 for a couple years intermittently, and I've grown to love it.  It is definitely in a different class.  You can cut saplings in a controlled manner by just "easing" into them, versus having to "whack" at them with smaller brush cutters.  I have an FS130 that works okay with a cutting blade, but after running the 550 while, the 130 gets restricted to soft line trimming only.

I recently upgraded to a Husqvarna Balance XT harness, and I like it alot better with the 550 than the Stihl harness.

If you want to, come over and I'll point you to a big grown up creek bank and let you try it out for as long as you'd like :D

--Eric

Thank You Sponsors!