OWB P&M vs HeatMaster

Started by OWBnoob, August 15, 2017, 11:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OWBnoob

Hi there!

I'm looking for advice on outside wood boilers...

I'm building a new house which has 2300sqFt (basement) + 2300sqFt (mainfloor) + 1400sqft (attached garage)

We are pretty sure we want to put hydronic heating everywhere.. in concrete for basement + garage, and nail-up between joists for the mainfloor.

After searching through this website for reputable boilers, I think I've narrowed it down to either HeatMaster (dealer near by here) and Portage and Main (dealing directly with manufacturer).

After discussing with both companies here is what they suggested:

HeatMaster, G200 @ $12,000(CDN)
Portage and Main, BL2840 @ $8,900(CDN)

It seems like there's quite the price difference here... Is there a reason for this??

I was also wondering if anyone ever had any experience with either of these models and if you'd recommend them?

Any preferences?

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks

OWBnoob

DDW_OR

Please add your location to your profile.

I have the Central boiler 750 Edge.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,92218.0/all.html#top

"let the machines do the work"

OWBnoob

DDW_OR

side question:
How is fishing in the Great Lakes area?
"let the machines do the work"

E Yoder

The G200 is a downdraft gasification type boiler, with power exhaust bypass to allow indoor or outdoor installation. The P&M you mentioned is an updraft conventional type unit, outdoor only. The Heatmaster MF or C series would be similar at a lower price too.
The Heatmaster units are Stainless, P&M are mild steel.

Basically if you read up on them you see they are different type units. P&M makes a downdraft gasification type unit too.
Hope this helps.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

mf40diesel

We went through literally exactly the same thing last year. Only it was the P&M Egr 250 vs the G200. Ended up with the g200 which we love so far (although only been a year).

I really liked several feature from both manufacturers, in our case a local dealer was a large factor. I was told by a friend , and have experienced that the g200 is about the most forgiving of the gassers, although that is purely my opinion.

Heating our 2600-ish ft2 house, a large 2 car garage and all domestic hot water. (Despite the fact that I am the one that cut/split wood, I take by far the shortest showers) we used a little north of 8 cords. Unit when firing hard with good wood, doesn't have a whisp of smoke, steam condensation when very cold, but no smoke.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

mf40diesel

Also, lit the unit oct 31- apr 1. If that helps.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

OWBnoob

Thanks mf40diesel!

do you mind if I send you a PM for more info??

mf40diesel

OWBnoob... Don't mind at all... PM away! I'll answe what I can for sure .