iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood Stumpage in North East GA

Started by DPaulTN, August 15, 2017, 11:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DPaulTN

Good Morning All,

I'm new to the forum and I am still learning about making firewood for personal use from stumpage.  I have my own splitter.
I'd like to find someone near Blairsville GA that can deliver hardwood stumpage?  Or is there a better method of getting cheap, bulk, uncut firewood.

Dave

reelman65

I'm near Cleveland, GA. there are numerous standing dead HWs from the drought last Fall. I would imagine people would be grateful to have them removed. I have no real experience with that though.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

TKehl

Welcome!

Depends on how picky you are, your capabilities, and if you have a truck or trailer.

Often logging tops can be had for free, but real hard to transport, so you need to cut it up where there.  Sawmill slabs can be obtained cheap/free.  Locally, farmers pay people to clear fence rows and would gladly let someone cut firewood out of them for free. 

Also, I see Blairsville is near a national forest.  Often firewood cutting permits can be had for a token fee to cut dead wood off national forests. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WLC

Go talk to the local sawmill.  They should be able to put you in touch with a logger that would be glad to sell you a load of firewood logs.  You could also go over to the US Forest Service office and get a dead and down permit.  Minimal cost and allows you to cut standing dead and downed timber for personal use on National Forest lands.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

reelman65

75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Thank You Sponsors!