iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Box joint table test picture for posting

Started by rjwoelk, August 15, 2017, 09:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjwoelk

I am looking at doing this type of joint for my sons bar top table.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Brad_bb

It surely worked!  Gonna take some careful cutting to have tight box joints that big.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Kbeitz

I seen that done on a table saw with a sled and a block of wood. After each cut the cut was advanced
on the block for the next cut.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don P

A cabinet/furniture shop I worked at in my 20's was gluing up strips of oak into butcher block slabs, then we had a router jig and large porter-cable router that clamped on the ends of the slabs and could be indexed to give nice fitting joints. For some reason whenever I got drafted on a delivery it was one of the couches to a second floor apartment  :D

rjwoelk

Thinking of using the chain mortiser to hog most of it out.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

low_48

Chain mortiser? What about the tolerances and splintering of the face grain? It takes a lot of precision to make those well. I can't imagine how you will get a tight glue joint on every one of those with that machine.

rjwoelk

I would just get close then finish off with a chisel.  Or Make a jig and use a router, need a bigger router then.

Brad_bb

Score the line deep with your framing chisel.  Then try the chain mortiser or boring bit to remove the majority and finish with chisel.  You'll have to finish with a framing chisel no matter what.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Kbeitz on August 16, 2017, 05:26:41 AM
I seen that done on a table saw with a sled and a block of wood. After each cut the cut was advanced
on the block for the next cut.
That is how I make box joints and would do this, the only twist here,  is that the mortise is wider than a full set of dado blades. I think this could be worked out by making a jig that indexed one side of the mortise on the index block and you would move it to the other side for the second pass.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

rjwoelk

The slab has been sitting in the cabin 2 to 3 weeks now and is around 12 % moisture has not changed in a week. We are still debating what kind of joint to use, we want the live edge to flow down, so after that it could be any thing.

Larry

I've cut dovetails on that size of piece using my bandsaw.  With practice there is very little cleanup required.  Finger joints would be a lot easier.

I have a chain mortiser and wouldn't want to use it even just to get rid of the waste.   A good jig saw would work better I think.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!