iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep apnea

Started by florida, August 14, 2017, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

The post about woodhaulers passing has got me thinking. Years ago I had acid reflux bad enough that I had to have surgery on my esophagus for a tear.  My doctor put me on antacids and a fairly strict diet. He also suggested I do a sleep study to see if I needed a CPAP at night. I resisted for years but he finally wore me down and I had one. They told me I was having up to 50 apnea (not breathing) episodes an hour and I needed to be on a CPAP.  I didn't believe them so went another 5 years until my doctor and I nearly came to blows over his insistence that I get a CPAP.  I snored pretty bad and sometimes would wake up choking so went in for another sleep study. They told me exactly the same thing when I went in for my follow up visit. I argued with the pulmonologist that my wife would notice me not breathing.

He changed the subject and asked me if I had ever known anyone who passed peacefully in their sleep. Of course I knew 4 or 5 who had gone that way and told him so. He told me that what had really happened was that they had suffocated so their heart was deprived of oxygen and stopped. He said the death certificate would always say "Heart Attack" as the cause of death but it was apnea that caused the heart attack.  That sort of made me felt like my hair was on fire so went and got a CPAP the next week. I've used it for 5 years now and don't leave home without it. I've always been a poor sleeper and have been happy to get 4 or 5 hours a night. Using the CPAP now I go to sleep quickly, I don't snore, and sometimes on a weekend I'll sleep 8 or 9 hours a night.
Of course I'm speculating but this may have been what happened to woodhauler.  Don't let it happen to you.  If you snore, sleep poorly  or if your neck is 18" around or more talk to your doctor. You may have apnea now without realizing it.  When you're young and have toned muscles your body can restart your breathing cycle when you stop but as we age and lose muscle tone our ability to start breathing after we've stopped gets worse until one night you just don't start again. It happened to our 79 year old neighbor just like that. Her husband stood by the bed and watched it happen but had no idea what to do.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

JV

I cannot stress this enough, please, if you are diagnosed with apnea get a CPAP unit if prescribed.  My wife was diagnosed with apnea but refused to wear the CPAP because it was "uncomfortable."  She passed away suddenly 5 1/2 years ago at age 66 with heart and lung damage.  There are newer units out there that are supposedly much more comfortable.  Don't pay the price because of the "inconvience."  Think of your well being and your family.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

florida

I'm really sorry to hear about your wife. She sounds like me until I got one. It doesn't really bother me although in a perfect world I wouldn't need it. My wife has had problems getting a mask that fits her well but she wouldn't give the machine up now.
Retired now!

kderby

My wife calls it the snore-master.    I might get nose/throat surgery someday but for the last ten years I have used a C-PAP.  Insurance paid for it.  I could go get a newer model but I am practical and this old one works.  I really appreciate not having to struggle with sleep issues any more. 

What did they do in the old days?  They snored and then they died.  Modern medicine offers us a better chance for a healthy life.  Would you rather be healthy?  Nuff said.

KDerby

samandothers

My wife has snored for years. Finally she had study which was a unit she wore on night here at home that recorded her sleep pattern.  She took it in and they read the data.  She now has a machine and the face mask is not what I invisioned it would be given what I had understood the old masks.

There is a circle of soft tubing that runs from her nostrils over each ear to the top of her head.  The nose piece is replaceable and sizeable and has holes at the nostrils.  At the top of her head is where the hose from the air pressure machine attaches.  The fitting swivels 360 so as she rolls at night the hose does not kink or bind.  It is an amazing machine and very quiet.  The tubing feeds air even if she compresses one side as the other side is open.  There is a strap from the tube around the back of her head to help hold it from sliding off.

I use to sleep with ear plugs but no more.  She does not snore.  She sleeps longer and rests better.

As stated go and talk with a doctor if you feel you have symptoms.

Cedarman

Samandothers, ditto, including the line about ear plugs.  Thought I was reading about me and Jane.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

florida

As if to drive this home my wife texted me yesterday morning to tell me that a teacher she worked with for years died in her sleep that night. 56 years old, always thin bordering skinny, leaving an adoring husband and 2 kids who worshiped her. She probably had no idea she had apnea.
Retired now!

Sixacresand

I been  using one for ten years.  I call it the snore catcher. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ljohnsaw

My wife used to go sleep on the couch because punching me didn't stop the snoring! :D  Finally she made me go get tested when I was 49.  I was having 50+ episodes per hour, most up to a minute.  What the docs said was you heart repairs itself when you sleep (deep sleep).  My brain was never allowed to rest as it had to keep waking me to start breathing again.  Essentially, I was never sleeping.  I could be in bed for 12 hours "sleeping" and wake up exhausted.  I would dose off at traffic lights :o and meetings at work.  Within 1 day, I was a new person.  I could think and do complex math in my head again.  And the best part, I only needed 6 or 7 hours of sleep now.  That was 8 years ago.  I moved from a mask (nose and mouth) to "nasal pillows".  They are soft silicon plugs that fit my nose.  I am able to sleep with my mouth closed so they work well for me.  My unit runs off a 12v transformer so I can use it camping in my trailer running from the battery.  If I don't use it (afternoon naps on occasion), I wake up with a sore throat from snoring.

The doc said there were three main factors that predispose you to apnea - Hereditary, age and weight.  I can only control the last one and that is difficult enough! :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

LeeB

Since I lost weight I have been able to stop using mine. The weight does make a difference.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Bandmill Bandit

My dentist fitted me with an oral appliance 3 years ago. My snoring has pretty much ceased and I don't have any trouble falling asleep at the wheel any more either.

Apparently there a few different conditions in this area and not every body can get the help they need from a simple an oral appliance but it sure works good for me.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Shotgun

Quote from: LeeB on August 17, 2017, 09:13:55 AM
Since I lost weight I have been able to stop using mine. The weight does make a difference.

With doctor's OK, or your decision to stop?
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

LeeB

Told my Pulmo that I was sleeping well and not snoring and that I had quit wearing it. She was ok with that. No problem with nodding off. I quit wearing 8-9 months ago. Wife has said I'm not having "spells" in my sleep. I went for a test with one of the home machines and they lost my results. I haven't gone back although I know I should.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

barbender

I've been using a CPAP for around 10 years, mostly for my wife's sake because I snore LOUD!! I don't feel a whole lot different whether I wear it or not, I don't think. I rarely get enough sleep so i'm always tired, anyways ::) I'm also around 275 pounds, should probably be at 230 or so (I'm 6'5"), it's kind of tough when I sit in a cab all day. But, I'm getting to the age (42) where I need to start taking my health more seriously. My Dad had his first heart attack when he was 47, his side is Native American and they have a lot of heart issues. They went from eating wild rice and venison (or starving) for thousands of years, the modern diet is pretty tough on them with cholesterol and lots of diabetes. My doctor wants to get me on cholesterol meds, I've been hesitant but it may be time. I can be very stubborn, I don't want my family to have to bury me before my time because of it.
Too many irons in the fire

Raider Bill

I just hit that 275lb mark myself...
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DeerMeadowFarm

I've been using one for 5 years or so. It's a love/hate relationship. It sucks having to depend on it, but the quality of sleep I get with it vs. without is unbelievable. I got to a point where I could fall asleep anywhere. I even fell asleep in a dentist chair while they worked on me! I had forgotten what it was like to dream; I wouldn't sleep long enough to get into REM sleep. When I first got it, I literally couldn't wait to go to bed so I could dream something! I just got back from camping at my BIL's property in VT. This is one of the times I hate having to use it as I haven't found someone who could help me find a way to use it "off-grid". I just bought one of those "Freedom Batteries" for CPAP but of course it was delayed and didn't come in on time for my trip. Do any of you camp off-grid? If so, what have you found to work for you?

gasman1075

mine saved my life, lost a good buddy at 56 died in his sleep so my loving wife convinced me to have the sleep study. I stopped breathing during the study so many times they woke me up...I've lost over 40 lbs since then and don't use it all the time but I feel better when I do. When I get down to 225 I ( 55 more lbs to go ) hope not to have to use it all. Hopefully less beer and more exercise will keep me on the correct path.  My buddy owns a brewery ( 2 barrel nano ) and it is too close to home for me. I supply him with firewood and he supplies me with beer.
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on August 17, 2017, 03:37:40 PM
Do any of you camp off-grid? If so, what have you found to work for you?

Get a site that has power :D :D :D

My unit has a converter that plugs into the wall.  It converts from 120vac to 12vdc.  So I fount the right barrel plug to fit my CPAP and put it on a cigarette lighter plug.  I installed sockets in my camper and it runs off the main battery.  If I'm "off grid" camping, I have a 200w solar panel that keeps my batteries charged in my pop up trailer.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

florida

ljohnsaw- A guy I know told me he had gotten a very small portable unit that runs 12 hours on rechargeable batteries. He says you can use it on airplanes and that he has started using it at home. Expensive but my pulmonologist told me last week insurance would pay for one if I wanted it. I haven't checked on that yet.

barbender- Please go get checked out. A friend of mind, a nuclear physicist in charge of the nuclear medicine program at a hospital, was the longest lived male in his family when he hit 43. He died at 52 but told me he wouldn't have lived that long if he hadn't worked in a hospital around doctors all day. A year before he died he had a stroke that took all of his short term memory.

Have you had your CPAP adjusted? You might not be getting enough air at night. I've said for 25 years now that what kills men is not heart disease apnea, cancer or any other health problem. It's our stubborn refual to go to the doctor and get checked out. Since my grandchildren came along I go to doctors at every twinge! Please go get some Lipitor and medical advice. Tomorrow could be too late.
Retired now!

barbender

Florida- I did go in a couple of years ago and got a full heart check up with a stress test and all. Everything checked out good. I'm trying to be less stubborn as time goes on😊  My dad, as I mentioned, had a heart attack at 47. Got stints in his arteries, had another heart attack at 53. He got quadruple bypass surgery that time. Now he's going to be 60, and the Doc told him he's plugging up again. I worry about him. All that to say, I don't want to stick my head in the sand concerning my own health, with the family history. I am hesitant to get on meds, but will certainly do so, just weighing out the benefit/risk equation. You are absolutely right, a lot of men die from stubbornness, sadly. I don't want to be one of them. Thanks for the advice/encouragement.
Too many irons in the fire

petefrom bearswamp

About 7 yrs with mine now.
Dont especially like it but better than dying in my sleep and keeping my wife awake with snoring..
My mask , nose and mouth, has a propensity to leak and wake me up sometimes.
I have facial hair but the leak occurs where no hair exists.
I am going to look into a portable unit for my use at my off grid camp.
Tried 2 deep cycle batteries and  converter, but they didnt last.
Oral appliance from my dentist runs from 700 to 1500 and not covered by ins.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

Any tips on cleaning the tubes and mask?
I soak in dish detergent, rinse them let drip dry.
Saw a ad on TV yesterday for some kind of machine that is supposed to clean them.

I bought a used spare off craigs list for Tenn so I don't have to keep dragging one back and forth. Mine was set at 7 by the dr. but the used one was at 6. Quick internet search and I was able to bump the new/used one up to 7.

LeeB

Vinegar was the recommended cleaner in the paperwork that came with mine. Just be sure to let it dry completely. it will take your breath away if you don't.

Raider Bill

LeeB

Yep, hose and mask. Vinegar is an antiseptic. Check on line for better deals on supplies. There is a place out of Houston that is fairly reasonable. I found I could never get more than about 3 months out of a mask seal. Strated leaking too much after that. The recommendation is to change them once a month.

Thank You Sponsors!