iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting back into the game

Started by Brad_S., August 14, 2017, 11:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

I was a full-time Sawyer from 1994 to 2008 when the economy tanked and I went out and got a "real" job.  The  Company I was working for went bankrupt and at the age of 60, I find myself  unemployed with few companies willing to hire someone my age. I guess I will have to become self-employed again.

To that end, I have geared up to saw logs from 4 inches to 5 feet in diameter. My Timber Harvester bandmill is old and weary and I'm hesitant to take it out onto the road.  There are also a number of Sawyer's who moved in and filled the gap in the market that I left when I took the real job. However,  there is no one in the area that can do logs larger than 36 inches in diameter or longer than 20 feet.  I decided to fill that gap, so I just picked up a used Lucas 830 with very few hours on it  with a slabbing bar and a 20 foot extension allowing me to mill logs up to 5 feet in diameter and 40 feet long. I am not sure I have the physical stamina to do this for many years but I'm going to give it a go.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Grizzly

So your tag line about life has proven true! But your back to making plans which is good and now we'll see what life offers you. Go git em!
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

TKehl

My condolences and congratulations!   ;D

The 8-30 is a nice machine.  I'd like to trade up to one eventually.

If the plastic rollers on the carriage frame are chipped or worn, it would be good to replace them at the start.  Otherwise it can cause all kinds of consternation.  In my case, the new bearings rolled a lot easier to.     ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Savannahdan

I'd love to use mine but our weather seems to have a knack for raining when I am ready.  Got chased away by the rain from chainsawing a red oak log.  Just watched the nextdoor neighbors lawn service pull sit out part of the rain and then pull away as it started heavy again.  Good luck and have fun.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

drobertson

yes this sounds bitter sweet, I wish I could stay in the dust, flexibility is critical in every area of sawing having diverse means makes good cents! ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

grouch

May you get logs as big as that mill can handle and make yourself and customers happy!
Find something to do that interests you.

sawmilllawyer

Welcome back Brad S looks like things have come full circle for you. As always best of everything. I enjoy your posts and the wisdom in them. 
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

woodweasel

I suspect your experience will allow you to work smart, without a lot of wasted movement. Therefore you can do this. 8) 8)

pep

Hey Brad
Glad to see your back making shavings.  You will love the Lucas. Seems to me you were installing wind turbines.  There is a plant in southern ontario(Tillsonburg) that makes the blades, they are closing and putting over 300 out of work.  It's the same in Ontario with solar power, all these solar farms not hooked up to the grid, and whoever built them took the government money and screwed all the local contractors.
Let's see some more of your big walnut slabs.
Cheers
Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Thank You Sponsors!