Stihl 028 woodboss not starting

Started by tfox1994, August 14, 2017, 02:00:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tfox1994

I have an 028 woodboss that hasn't been used in probably close to 10 years. For the last year or so I have been trying to get it running on separate occasions, with no luck. At first it was not running at all, so I rebuilt the carb and did a small tune up and it started to run decent but shortly after it would not shut off (if I flipped the switch it would continue to run until I turned it over for awhile). Thinking that it was probably an electrical problem I changed the ground wire as it looked a little frayed, now it doesn't seem to start at all. It turns over and acts like it wants to go and if I spray a little starting fluid into the carb it will run for a little bit but I'm not sure that means anything. I have another saw that I use primarily but I like the 028, I am open to suggestions, thanks for the help.

Al_Smith

You might have a cracked fuel line .It's best not to use starting fluid on a 2 cycle engine .

tfox1994

Al, I don't think it's the fuel line. I took the carb off and put come pressure on it and it shot gas right out.

dougand3

Running on starting fluid shows saw that has compression and timing. Agree with Al - don't use starting fluid. Put a tsp of fuel mix in carb throat or plug hole to test. If you're sure fuel line lines and pickup are good, I'd just try an aftermarket carb. ~ $15 online.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

tfox1994

I got them off and they both seem fine, it does run with a little fuel in the spark plug hole so maybe I should try a new carb. The only reason I was avoiding that is because I just rebuilt the carb not to long ago and the saw ran fine fine for awhile so I just figured it wasn't it

tfox1994

Also if I were to get a carb where would I get one the cheapest/best.

Woodcutter_Mo

When I rebuilt my 024, I also rebuilt the carb and it still ran funny and a new chinese aftermarket carb off (eBay) which fixed it and it's been starting great and running strong ever since.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Al_Smith

Pull the carb apart ,see if everything is in the correct order .Check the fuel lever height .Make certain the filter screen is not plugged up.
Things can get right passed a fuel filter and  get lodged in the screen .
I once installed the spacer gasket for the diaphragm out of order and it gave me so much of a fit I banished the saw to the shelf for about 6 months until I regained my composer. I finally got over my snit fit and found the problem .Worst part of that was I knew better ,just messed up,it happens .
Every carb manufacturer has a web site and have the drawings plus trouble shooting tips on about every carb they make .Good info .

joe_indi

Lying unused for 10 years could have resulted in a couple of things, which have been indicated by the saw running on starting fluid.
Aged oil seals
Old fuel caked in carb, which would need dismantling and thorough cleaning. One way around this that I have used (and still use), which could result in frowns from experts is to open L and H screws to 2 or even 3 turns out, make a fuel mix with regular fuel mix, about 20% NC thinner and 3-4% coconut oil.
Use a fresh pickup body or prise the old one apart, and reassemble without the insert.
Remove the air filter.
Start up the saw on this mix,(you might have to pour a bit of fuel down the carb initially. keep blipping the throttle, turn in LA screw to maximum. When the saw  can run without your hand on the throttle start turning in L a little, as the rpm climbs back off LA.
Rev up to max, if it is blubbering too much turn in H until the blubber is reduced, but not eliminated.
If the saw can run for  about 5 minutes (and you can survive the fumes ;D) things should improve.
You could then add regular fuel to the mix.
Try a few cuts to get the high speed circuit really working.

jiggysmb

I think the 028 has a pulse line that gets clogged/cracked. I have one that wouldn't run and the pulse line was filled with something similar to silver paste. Turned out the bearings had worn a bit. If you get it running you may want to flush out the crank area and check the flywheel for play.

tfox1994

Got an aftermarket carb for $11 on ebay and it runs like a dream, thanks for all of your input.