iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seam in Walnut crotch

Started by Chuck White, August 13, 2017, 02:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I have two Black Walnut trees on the back edge of my yard, and one of them has a seam extending downward from the crotch!

The tree is about 10" DBH and the crotch is about 12' up and the seam extends down to about 10' and lots of limbs on both sides of the crotch.

Would it be ok to drill a small hole through from side to side and put a piece of all-thread of something similar through it to prevent splitting, due to snow-load during the Winter?

Any other solutions would be appreciated!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mike_belben

Its your tree, but ill guarantee you that crotch is a pocket full of water and the two halves of the tree unbonding from each other.  Drill a hole into it and every wood eating critter will thank you.

I was tied into a crotch about 60 foot up in a pine years back.  Soon as i put some load on it the thing started to split apart and water spray out onto my ropes.  It popped apart when it hit ground.. Whole thing black with water and rot through the entire joint inside, but couldnt tell by looking at it.
Praise The Lord

Ron Scott

I had a similar situation with a 16 inch silver maple back in 1986 where the tree was split at its lower fork. I put a threaded bolt through the tree's fork and it stayed together for the past 36 years during many heavy winds and storms.

I just had a tree service take the tree down this past June as I was starting to get a little concerned that as it was now getting hollow and could fall in the front yard and even hit the house since its crown had now grown much larger.

While cutting and splitting it up for firewood, I found that the tree was still in better condition than I thought it was and I found the threaded bolt grown over inside the tree at the crouch.

So it might be worth the effort depending upon how bad you want to save the tree. Urban foresters use the "bolt method" often to secure a tree's crouch and prevent it from splitting off. You may give the tree some added years in your landscape.
~Ron

Chuck White

It's not gone that far yet Mike, the seam is not open

Thanks Ron, that's what I was hoping to hear!

Ron, would you suggest installing the all-thread a little (8"-10") above the top of the seam or through the seam?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Right near the top of the seam with enough holding wood where the threaded bolt has the most leverage to pull the seam together as tight as it can. The more that you can close the seam the better. If you can't get the seam to close tightly due to excessive top weight, you can fill the open seam part with cement to seal it. I used about a 3/8 " bolt.
~Ron

Chuck White

Thanks Ron!

The seam isn't actually open, just looks like it could very easily.

Thank You Sponsors!