iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eye opener

Started by Pclem, August 12, 2017, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pclem

This past thursday, my wife lost half her thumb to a woodsplitter. She looked up, for a split second to peek at kids jumping on trampoline, and it happened. She splits a couple days a week, all year long. So she is very accustomed to it. She just let her guard down for a second. I know we've all been there in this industry, close calls, or actual injuries. I wanted to post this because when I come across a similar post on the forum, it reminds me to slow down and use my head. She has a very grateful attitude, knowing it could have been much worse, which I am thankful for as well... Stay safe friends
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

tree-farmer

Wow! Sorry to hear that, hope she heals up soon.
Sometimes its the task you've done 1000s of times that are the most likely to bite.
Time to brush up on your dishwashing and house keeping skills...
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

So sorry to hear. I hope she heals quickly. 

Thank you for the reminder as we all do get on autopilot or not focused on those things we do so often.

mf40diesel

I'll second the sorrow to you and she and hope for a quick recovery. Clearly better part of the digit rather than the whole thing.

At sea where I work, history has shown that we are very good at the large complex jobs... lots of planning, thought and supervision goes into them rarely do people or equipment get damaged.  It's the little mundane routine jobs that bite people and equipment.

We all have to keep our guard up as best we can.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

grouch

We all get complacent with repetition of a job and need to be reminded that our tools don't care. Thanks for posting this.

Hope she heals well, easy and quick.
Find something to do that interests you.

Ron Scott

Sorry to hear this. A good reminder for all.
~Ron

Pclem

Thank you all for the kind words and encouragement. It is much appreciated
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

ButchC

Also sorry to read this but thankful for the reminder. I have caught myself gaulking around while splitting and had a couple close calls too. Hope she recovers quickly and adjusts well.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

47sawdust

Her injury sure is an eye opener.Just goes to show us how much concentration it takes to run machinery,and how easily we can be distracted.Glad she has a good attitude,that is a difference maker.
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

tree-farmer

How is the wife's hand healing up? Imagine a crush injury will take longer to heal than a clean slice. Tell her we wish her well.  smiley_flowerhead
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Pclem

By golly, she's healing up real well! She's even helped with a couple deliveries, and been able to help packaging firewood a little.  She's a tough 'ol bird ;)

grouch

Quote from: Pclem on September 06, 2017, 12:34:51 PM
By golly, she's healing up real well! She's even helped with a couple deliveries, and been able to help packaging firewood a little.  She's a tough 'ol bird ;)

Some kind soul should point her to this thread. I'd kinda like to see a good flogging. How fast can you run? ;D
Find something to do that interests you.

overclocking

My wife used the splitter once last year and piece of maple exploded and bruised her hand good and that was it for me. I wont let her or the kids near one anymore, it scared me more than them.

It is insane how fast a normal everyday task can change our lives. Glad to see shes heeling up good though.

r.man

Pclem what type of splitter was your wife using, hydraulic or kinetic or other?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

dave_dj1

Sorry to hear about your wife's thumb, hope it heals quickly.

Pclem

r.man, it was a hydraulic splitter. I'd rather not say the manufacturer. I don't want to throw them under the bus, as it could happen with any splitter

Thank You Sponsors!