iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dusty dusty dusty.

Started by brianJ, August 12, 2017, 12:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

When the yard gets busy and a bit of a breeze i have clouds of dust coating the neighbors yard vehicles and house.   Driveway is graded crusher run so gets dry and dusty pretty quick.   

How does forestry forum solve this?      Different answers for different circumstances I guess.  Might be a long thread.

thecfarm

calcium chloride flakes. I don't really know what graded crusher run is. But it worked on my gravel driveway. Kinda works better to spread it on,than water it. Or better yet,mix it with water and than put it on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

btulloh

In the past, they'd spray used motor oil out of a modified tank truck on dirt roads.  You just don't see that anymore though. 

The calcium chloride should work, crusher run or dirt either one. 

HM126

Papa1stuff

Quote from: brianJ on August 12, 2017, 12:57:44 PM
When the yard gets busy and a bit of a breeze i have clouds of dust coating the neighbors yard vehicles and house.   Driveway is graded crusher run so gets dry and dusty pretty quick.   

How does forestry forum solve this?      Different answers for different circumstances I guess.  Might be a long thread.
I sure know how your neighbor feels >:(
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Savannahdan

Wow, I remember those days of the town spraying used oil on the roads.  It was nasty stuff both from getting every thing oily and the odor (particularly in the summer).  Also brings back memories of the nasty tar they used on some of the roads which got all over your cars and trucks.  What a mess!
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

coxy

when we do crusher run driveways we put  calcium on them keeps them damp and they will pack like concrete

coxy

Quote from: Savannahdan on August 13, 2017, 07:31:01 AM
Wow, I remember those days of the town spraying used oil on the roads.  It was nasty stuff both from getting every thing oily and the odor (particularly in the summer).  Also brings back memories of the nasty tar they used on some of the roads which got all over your cars and trucks.  What a mess!
but it was free under coating  :D

brianJ

How much of the calcium chloride is recommended per square yard?   The more the better?  How to apply?   I was thinking fling from a shovel like I fling sand onto ice.   Should I do that only before it rains or just sprinkles.

Ox

Put down a layer of item 4 and pack it down.  It's not dusty, at least where I get it.

Careful of the calcium chloride.  It's one of the things used to load tires and will eat through and kill almost anything.  I have no experience with it for dust control but have mixed my own tire fluid and loaded tires using gravity.  Stuff gets really hot when mixed with water.  I was worrying about my plastic barrel I was using!  No kidding....... and that's some pretty thick and strong plastic but it sure was sagging and such....
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

snowstorm

Quote from: brianJ on August 13, 2017, 09:22:11 AM
How much of the calcium chloride is recommended per square yard?   The more the better?  How to apply?   I was thinking fling from a shovel like I fling sand onto ice.   Should I do that only before it rains or just sprinkles.
that will work fine.  It doesn't take a lot. When I clean out the sand trucks in the spring I spread it on the driveway. The salt in it dose the same thing. And the deer like it

thecfarm

Yes,that will work with a shovel. I use to just pour some into a 5 gallon can and spread it by hand on my driveway.  That stuff will absorb moisture from the air. Just try spreading it and you will see. Yes,your hand will be a mess too.
On the getting hot part,never had that problem. But I wonder if it's like Bondo,put in too much hardener and it will get hot too. Mix it right and you should be good. I been around loaded tires my whole life and never have heard of it.
We sell it at the hardware store I work at. Someone must of hit the pallet of it with the forklift and some spilled out of the bag. The hot top is all wet where it hit the tar.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Everybody does it differently and stone sizes vary according to location .My way,6 inches of number 1 and 2 mix with 6 inches of 304 over that .If it needs top dressed which it eventually will ,411 over what ,might only be 2 inches every 4 -5 years .Stone is like  beer,you can only rent it,it disappears given enough time .
It helps if you roll it .
I've got 550-600 feet of driveway and about every 5-7 years it seems it takes right at 80 tons at 10 something a ton delivered and tail gated .The last time I rolled the dickens out of it .Hard as a rock when I was done .Two years ago if memory serves,it's not dusty .

never finished

Keep it off your boots and anything leather. The toes will turn up like elf shoes.

Thank You Sponsors!