iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quits on idle.

Started by brianJ, August 12, 2017, 12:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianJ

Got a husky 240 & 455 rancher both with about 30 some hours thru them.  Both have this same issue.   Once they get hot they quit rather than idle.     Is this normal for a new saw after break in?     To fix it do I simply adjust the idle speed scew?   

This link  http://madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm says use a flat bladed screwdriver and turn counter clockwise.    Would that be correct for all colors of saws?

sawguy21

This is normal as a saw breaks in. Turn the idle speed screw clockwise to increase the speed until the chain starts to move then back off a tich.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kenskip1

Normal saw break in? Whoo hoss, but I think you are on the wrong track. When a saw breaks in it loosens up and the idle  speed increases.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

JJohnson79

Quote from: brianJ on August 12, 2017, 12:45:10 PM
Got a husky 240 & 455 rancher both with about 30 some hours thru them.  Both have this same issue.   Once they get hot they quit rather than idle.     Is this normal for a new saw after break in?     To fix it do I simply adjust the idle speed scew?   

This link  http://madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm says use a flat bladed screwdriver and turn counter clockwise.    Would that be correct for all colors of saws?

I only have XPs so when they don't run right I take them to my dealer and say "Fix it" I can do basic maintenance but for me the quick trip up to Clydes to have them fixed under warranty is worth the extra expense.
346 xp
346 xpg
Jonsred 90
576 xp

JD 440B with modified bunk

Mobile Dimensional Saw

Have tools no work.

Canadiana

Is it difficult to restart immediately? Difficult to restart if let sit 2 min?
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

joe_indi

Quote from: kenskip1 on August 12, 2017, 06:23:41 PM
Normal saw break in? Whoo hoss, but I think you are on the wrong track. When a saw breaks in it loosens up and the idle  speed increases.
I would go with sawguy21. A new factory set saw is set a bit rich for proper run in at sea level or its equivalent.
A run in saw that has lost its initial tightness would need less fuel to turn over and so the factory setting would seem a bit richer once it has run in. Leaning the L screw slightly would compensate for this.
However, if brianJ brought these saws from an altitude much lower than his present area of work, the saws could be running richer. A slight turn of the L and H (about 1/4 turn on both) would solve the problem.
But if you do that brianJ, be sure to turn it back as before when you go to a lower altitude.

kenskip1

If you lean it out this will increase the rpm. This man is near Syracuse NY. I lived in this area for 20 years. His altitude is around 850 feet. I think we have our wires crossed.He said that the saw quits when he releases the throttle. He did not specify how the saw runs while cutting.We require a bit more information please. BTW, The small saw is a relabeled poulan.If the first number started with the number 4 it would be a Husky. Example 435,445,455 and so on.I would take it to the Husky dealer in Rome and he would adjust it for you more than likely FOC. Someplace off highway 69.Ask for Brian.I think the name is Kayler or something like that. great people to do business with.
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

brianJ

Post script.    I had the time and ambition to give both my saws a workout.  Like usual once hot they quit  while idling and needed the choke half on to start.   A small bit of a turn clockwise solved the issue.

ladylake

Before the EPA came along saws were set rich for break in to keep them cooler, now with the EPA a lot are set lean or borderline lean to get by EPA regulations.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!