iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log deck ideas

Started by KamHillbilly, August 11, 2017, 11:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamHillbilly

Looking for log deck ideas , as I am looking to build one possibly with hydraulic log loader as I have no equipment in yard to load my hobby  band mill. Any input appreciated
Thanks
Bill
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

btulloh

How are you getting logs to your yard now?  Is your mill in a flat area or do have some slope that could be utilized?  Here's a simple deck I made.  It's just thrown together and sitting on top of the ground.  Works fine, but it could use a few adjustments in spacing, etc.  Making it this way gave me a chance to try it out before I put holes in the ground.  It works well enough that it may be a while before revising it.

There's a couple pictures in a recent thread about saw sheds that show how the natural slope was utilized to help get the logs where they need to go.  I'll try to link it for you.

Not fancy.  The are two short pieces of 6x6 that I just set in place when I want to roll a log onto the deck.

There'll be some more people chiming in shortly, I'm sure.
HM126

kelLOGg

Mine is similar to btullah's:

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mike_belben

Id also incorporate a swing up mount for a cheap ATV winch on the far side to parbuckle them up the deck.  Save your energy for stacking slabs.
Praise The Lord

KamHillbilly

Right now just using my skidder pulling logs off my lot in winter and setting mill up close to them and manpowering them on mill . But I have a chance to get oversize from local sawmill at a good price so I am looking for ideas, I have a couple of areas that would work with natural slope in yard I like the winch idea . Would like to make a unit I could tow to different location on property & maybe hydraulic log loader like the ones on the wood mizer mills
Homemade Bandmill ,Clark 664b ,Case 780b ,Jonsered 670,630

Kbeitz

I did not have a lot of room at the mill so I made a rolling log deck. Works great.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Darrel

I have a natural slope and have thought about doing something like this because the slope is too much.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Quote from: btulloh on August 12, 2017, 07:22:41 AM
How are you getting logs to your yard now?  Is your mill in a flat area or do have some slope that could be utilized?  Here's a simple deck I made.  It's just thrown together and sitting on top of the ground.  Works fine, but it could use a few adjustments in spacing, etc.  Making it this way gave me a chance to try it out before I put holes in the ground.  It works well enough that it may be a while before revising it.

There's a couple pictures in a recent thread about saw sheds that show how the natural slope was utilized to help get the logs where they need to go.  I'll try to link it for you.

Not fancy.  The are two short pieces of 6x6 that I just set in place when I want to roll a log onto the deck.

There'll be some more people chiming in shortly, I'm sure.

I will be building one something like yours. When I do, I don't want to set the post in the ground. Reason, I want to be able to pull them out so I can clean up. Moving them will make that much easy. ;D

thecfarm

For what you have,it looks good. Or that is how I do it too. Mine is just a little higher than the mill. I put on a few logs,with the tractor,and roll them on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!