iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberframe woodshed

Started by mf40diesel, August 11, 2017, 10:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Thought I would post a couple pics of the woodshed I'm building. It's a bit overkill, but litterally the first thing one will see when driving into my yard. Therefore I wanted it good looking. 16x16. I figure if stacked 7' high, should hold a slight bit north of 12 cords if packed in there.

John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

btulloh

Heckuva nice woodshed.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.
HM126

mf40diesel

Thank you. It's been a fun project, a little daunting, but fun. On hold now as I had to come back to work. (I go to sea) but I don't think it's going anywhere.  Just rafters, strapping and metal roof remain. (And some anchor bolts) I plan to leave the sides mostly open, except for some slatting.  Although, I'm thinking about trying to find some canvas like on a dump truck bed. Have it open from April to October, then roll the sides down in the winter to keep the snow out.

It probably is overkill, but I love the looks of timberframe construction, an due to location I really, am hoping for a functional and good looking shed.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

thecfarm

Good idea. You will like the cement pad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mf40diesel

It's funny, I was on the fence about the pad. My buddies talked me into it. By the time you buy the sono tubes, rent the post hole digger. (6 tubes, 30" diameter, 4' deep, I'd rent it) buy the cement, mix it etc...  the cost difference wasn't really all that much. Cost me $850 in cement and now I have a flat surface, which will be cleaner and dryer I hope.

What I am thinking now is how I'm going to stack my wood. I have always stacked side to side (athwartship piles) which then (hopefully) you don't run out of wood, so your left with some in the back. Then you either move last years forward, or stack in front and never burn last years. I am thinking this time that I might make my piles run lengthwise the. The I can alternate sides to pull off of if I don't use it all. What do you think?

thecfarm

You could split the shed down the middle and each year empty one side and than next year empty the other side.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mf40diesel

Thecfarm, I like that even better!

Andries

Mr MF: If you've got a minute or two (next time you are on land) could you post some update pictures of your woodshed?
It's a beaut and I was curious to see how it turned out . . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

mf40diesel

mf40diesel

Pics above of progress. Quite the project for me and my Dad. We had quite a bit of fun.

mf40diesel

He view from the boiler side.

From in front.  Now I have some landscaping/drainage control to work on.

mf40diesel

The final product. Still have some fine tuning to do... but 95% done. Has roughly 10 cords in it now. Worked pretty hard to get it done, then full of wood. Very happy with how it came out.

Did learn I'm not exactly a carpenter...hahahha

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

That looks good. Going to wrap with plastic? Last winter one storm the snow blew into every crack there was.

mf40diesel

Actually, thecfarm, I've been debating what to do. I think I've honed in on nice tan canvas tarps. I was thinking getting them cut to size, then screwed in with grommets along the top, and tied along the bottom.

My thoughts, canvas is quiet in the wind. And I can roll them up from April-Oct/Nov for better drying.  But have them down during the winter.

Totally agree though, can't leave it open.

TKehl

Looks very nice!

Billboard tarps are pretty cheap and can go up and down quick.  The back sides are almost always either white or black so you don't have to see the ad.  Still not sure if it would be worthy... 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

samandothers

Looks great!  What did you finish it with and how did you anchor the posts?

mf40diesel

The posts are anchored with Simpson 90 deg brackets with 5/8" x 3" concrete lags drilled into the pad, 6" grk fasteners structural screws into the post.  2 per post, with 3 in the middle post.

I have 10" timberlok lags in the ties, which I am thinking I am going to cut some 4" plate and drill at work here to attach when I get home. To add more strength up high.

samandothers

Gearbox

Be careful you are close to your boiler . One of my brothers crew left a wheel barrow full of ashes by his boiler . Later that day the wind came up and set his wood shed on fire . mine is 30 ft. away and has steel on the boiler side . Nice build .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

mf40diesel

You're absolutely right about being careful. I try to only clean out the boiler on non-windy days when possible. And only the reaction chamber. Which never really has any live embers left, or only a few anyway. Ash goes into a metal pail, which is covered. I let that sit for several days to ensure it's cold before dumping.

Thank you

dave_dj1

mrselfreliance

Wow that's amazing!  Makes mine look so tiny... lol

47sawdust

If you don't want to leave it open you might consider mesh tarps.Tarp supply.com has a variety of mesh tarps that would keep out the worst of the weather but still allow air movement.
Very nice job,good idea to keep it as open as possible.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

TKehl,Maine has a law against bill boards.

Thank You Sponsors!