iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Waste on a 20" cant

Started by woodweasel, August 15, 2017, 07:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Please settle a argument. If one has a perfect 20" round cant. Whats the approx max width board it will produce ::)

Ljohnsaw

If you were doing a 2" board with the pith centered, I'd say about 19 to 19.5" (depends on the bark).  But don't you mean a round LOG.  A cant is a log that's been squared up, right? ;)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

drobertson

a cant is not round, that be a log,, check the tool box, and then saw a few,,, sweep and other issues will control the actual square that's obtainable from a 20" log,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

Is 20" the small end of the log? AND is the log straight?  Is the log perfectly round?

if those answers are yes, yes and yes, then a 16" cant MAY be possible with some wane on the 4 corners, meaning you could end up with a clean 16"X 14" cant, but more likely 14 x 14.

If the tree is slightly oval as are many trees then a 18" X 12" is more probable and it would have  wane as well. 16" X 12" is the more likely result here.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

woodweasel

20" perfectly round log is what I mean. What size CANT can you get out of this?

D6c

Theoretically it would be 14.142"....or a little over 14 1/8".

Pythagorean Theorem A sq + B sq = C sq
square root of (20 squared divided by 2) = 14.142

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: D6c on August 15, 2017, 08:38:19 PM
Theoretically it would be 14.142"....or a little over 14 1/8".

Pythagorean Theorem A sq + B sq = C sq
square root of (20 squared divided by 2) = 14.142

You beat me to it.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

grouch

Quote from: woodweasel on August 15, 2017, 08:32:42 PM
20" perfectly round log is what I mean. What size CANT can you get out of this?

Well, first you have to make up your mind about whether you can or cant.
Find something to do that interests you.

SlowJoeCrow

Well you certainly CANT get 22 inches...

btulloh

I think he meant 20x20 divide by 2 then take the square root of the result.

Or just multiply by 0.707.  You can just use 2/3 of the diameter for a quick approximation.
HM126

ToddsPoint

With sap wood or without?  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

WDH

My rule of thumb is divide the small end diameter of the round log by 1.5.  This gives a fudge factor for logs that are not perfectly round and straight. I have seen very few of those  :).  In this case, it would come out to 13.33" square cant. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Brucer

That's kinda the way I do it, only I take 2/3 of the diameter to figure the square cant :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ron Wenrich

Since you said board, that is a bit different than a cant.  A board would be scant 20" with the board perfectly centered.  As you increase the thickness, the maximum width decreases.  At an 8" thickness, you can get an 18" wide piece.   A square 14x14 can be sawn from a 20" log with no wane.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!