iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why saw lumber when you can sell these?

Started by btulloh, August 11, 2017, 08:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

HM126

Delawhere Jack

I see all these gimmicky items that people WAY overpay for, had a few ideas of my own, but my conscience just won't let me follow through.....

Danged stinking conscience!!  ::)

Kbeitz

Hollow them out and you will get twice that amount.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

sealark37

If you really have to ask the question, then the answer is obvious.   Regards, Clark

btulloh

HM126

SineWave

You can use them indoors? Now that's a party!  8)

Darrel

Of worthy note, the old guy on the label has his hat pulled down over his eyes. If I were selling these, I'd do the same.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Klicker

Delaware Jack I used to think lie you. But I have learned that people think differently  selling at markets the last eight years people will buy things I wouldn't buy. I don't  like people to tell me how to spend my money and I don't tell them how to spend theirs.If they want it they buy or they don't. I find a lot of things are under priced when you think of cutting the tree down dragging it out cutting it up drying and processing  take it to market table rent. Rod
2006 LT 40 HD

btulloh

If somebody forks over the money, it's worth it to them.  I sort of naturally think like DelawareJack, which has hindered me throughout life.  That's why I wasn't the one to think of  selling bottles of water for 1.29 a pint inside while selling gas for 2.25 a gallon outside.  I hope everybody has good luck with their indoor bonfire.
HM126

Magicman

We saw little bundles of "camp wood" selling from $3.00 to $6.00 during our July travels and several folks had a bundle or three tucked underneath their campers.  I see nothing wrong with providing a product to meet a market regardless of what I would personally buy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

That works pretty good.  I made one for the last time we went camping.  I used a bigger, longer stick of wood and  hollowed out the middle a bit more with the chain saw then just give it a little soaking with lighter fluid and put the charcoal that was used to cook supper in the hole, and it burned for quite a while. But indoors....thats scary....  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Cedarman

You can sit around and enjoy the evening around that stump.  How's that pet rock  market these days?  At one time it was a craze.  How come you didn't attach colorful wings to that bearing you would spin in your hand?   I have sold quite a bit of cedar firewood to people who would make a big long fire, let the coals die down a bit, then walk on them.  Why spend $2.89 for a soda with your meal in a restaurant when a icy glass of water with lemon with do just as well to quench your thirst.
A good entrepreneur is always thinking of how can they  make the most money possible in the least time with the least cost.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

scsmith42

Guys, I have a little different take on this.  Here is why.

Those cross sections look to be around 12" x 12", which means that they have about 5 board feet of lumber in each section. At .50 per board foot for logs delivered to your mill, that's $2.50 in material costs.

Next, look carefully and you will see that all of the bark is intact. So the selling environment requires careful handling so that the bark is kept clean and undamaged. So no handling the cut pieces in bulk with machinery. That degree of handling costs more.

Look closely at the sections. The bark is pulled away from the wood all of the way around which means that these things have been dried. In order to kill bugs, probably Kiln dried. Again, more costs (especially since they have to be carefully handled in and out of the kiln)

How long will it take to make six precise rip cuts 10" or so down into the pieces?
(Keep in mind that ripping takes longer than cross cutting). Factor in your time and costs for chain sharpening too.

Now you have inventory and delivery costs. Most likely you are putting these in some type of cage assembly after manufacture for handling through the drying and inventory process, so that is another Capitol cost up front.

Then you have the resellers costs and markup.

Bottom line, for a niche market I don't think that they are overpriced considering the high handling costs to make them.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

woodshax

I agree with Scott,  lots of cost to make those.....I have seen similar ones that are made from European Birch and imported.....and the reseller usually doubles the price they pay for it....so looks like you would have to make a lot of these to make any good money.  If there was not a market at that price then the product would not be around for long.  Convenience and easy to use is what sells at a premium... I go to a ball game and pay $9 for a beer that I can buy outside the stadium for $1....I don't have it, I want it, I buy it.  I am not ashamed of selling firewood to campers at $1200 a cord..... I cut it, bag it, bring it and put them in the machines, pay swipe charges and pay a cut to the park......No one is forced to buy it.  Works for me and seems to work for them as well

Darrel

Thanks Scott and Woodshax. Hadn't thought about it in that light. The local Farm Bureau called my son last week and wanted a live edge conference table sized 6' X 10'. The person making the phone call said that they hadn't discussed price but knew that they couldn't afford much more than $200. Most people have no idea how much labor goes into any given product.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

florida

When ever I see those in HD I laugh and would like to shake the hand of whoever thought it up. I wish i had.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

rjwoelk

Had a fellow come over to look at some wood, he wanted to cap the top of his stair hand rail. Tried some Jack pine which had a bad spots in it so that got trashed, Then looked at some hemlock but the 30$ was too steep for him, so I showed him the Birch and told him I could cut someing out of it, but it was going to cost him a min of $100.00  ;D   He has not called me back. ??? :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!