iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Molding Business

Started by Cory, January 09, 2012, 08:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

Quote from: Cory on January 09, 2012, 08:55:56 AM
I need some direction/experienced knowledge.

I have always wanted to have my own business and have came down to molding.  I do not want the responsibility of kiln drying my own lumber as I think there is too much liability (moisture content, beetles,) and start up cost.  I know there is but at the present I can't think of any liability issues with finishing a product.  What are your all's thoughts.  

At this point I have to start slow as I can't quit my full time job.  I am thinking that a woodmaster 718 molder with 3 sided attachment may be what I need to have a quality machine and minimize investment.  Then if things work out maybe expand to a second machine.

Any help, thoughts, advice is welcome bad or good.  I don't want to make a mistake here.
A board member I used to chat with did what you are asking about quite sucessfully years ago. Mur (his moniker) was/is from Burnslake B.C. He bought wood from millers such as myself as there were many mills willing to sell their falldown lumber to him cheap...and to his specs. He eventually got a kiln as well, heated with the moulder shavings he produced.....
http://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=1166
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

wesdor

+1 on what Larry said about Gary Striegler.  I took a class with him at the Marc Adams school in May. I believe he has an entire week devoted to moldings in September. 
Like Larry says "he walks the walk". A great woodworker and teacher. Well worth your time to take a week long class with him. 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The OP was over 6 years ago.  Do we know what he did and how it worked out?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

wesdor

Duh!  I didn't look at the dates!  

Percy

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on August 05, 2018, 10:43:39 PM
The OP was over 6 years ago.  Do we know what he did and how it worked out?
Good eye Gene.. Im as sharp as a marble...missed the date completely....looks like Im the one who dug that old thread outa the basement....I have no idea how I did that.....am I here? :D

Southside

Percy - what did you end up getting for a moulder?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Percy

Quote from: Southside logger on August 06, 2018, 11:03:44 PM
Percy - what did you end up getting for a moulder?
I went with the Woodmizer/logosol 360. It is in salmon arm but I can't have it till it gets rewired to Canadian specs or csa standards. If I wasn't so busy at the mill, id be all excited and such. 😂😂😂

Thank You Sponsors!