The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: total newb here for milling  (Read 925 times)

Offline btulloh

• I never met an air conditioner I didn't like
Re: total newb here for milling
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 06:44:47 pm »
Thanks for the link.  You do nice work.

You must be in east Texas to have the trees you listed. That put you close to fishfighter, a member of some notoriety.   ;D

Pitch is the resin in pine trees.  Some species are more resinous than others.  Pine pitch in framing lumber is not so much of problem, but if you use pine inside, say for paneling or trim, the pitch will bleed forever and leave a sticky surface.  Setting the pitch is done by raising the temperature for 24 hours, usually to around 160F.  It hardens the pitch and keeps it from oozing and bleeding.  Check out the drying and processing forum.  It is frequently a topic of discussion. 
HM126

Offline dwcustomknives

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »
Thanks for the link.  You do nice work.

You must be in east Texas to have the trees you listed. That put you close to fishfighter, a member of some notoriety.   ;D

Pitch is the resin in pine trees.  Some species are more resinous than others.  Pine pitch in framing lumber is not so much of problem, but if you use pine inside, say for paneling or trim, the pitch will bleed forever and leave a sticky surface.  Setting the pitch is done by raising the temperature for 24 hours, usually to around 160F.  It hardens the pitch and keeps it from oozing and bleeding.  Check out the drying and processing forum.  It is frequently a topic of discussion.

ahh gotcha, wont be using any pine inside for finishing or at least not right off so i can come up with something to heat it with later. Thank you

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:04 pm »
Don't be concerned with the pitch on framing lumber.  Also the first framing lumber that you saw and sticker will be plenty dry by the time that you get to using it.  Stack it outside covered with metal roofing and then move it inside as needed.

Here are pictures of framing lumber for a new home that was sawn in 4 days by 6 people, with a Wood-Mizer Lt40 and a Wood-Mizer edger.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline dwcustomknives

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 08:54:17 pm »
Nice!!!!!!    I can't wait to get started! 

Most of my lumber will be 10' and over. We will have 10' ceilings in all rooms except living which will be 12'. Since it will be in a pile barn I won't have to worry about rafters!!

Offline BigZ La

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:52 pm »
I took a look at your website and those knives are killer. If I dare look again you will have a customer  :D

Offline DDW_OR

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 01:13:35 pm »
TimberKing 2000, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Max22 4x4, Bobcat Excavator 331, E80, Multitek 1610EZ
"let the machines do the work"

Offline dwcustomknives

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:17:11 pm »
Thank y'all very much! 

At the moment I am not taking orders due to fixing to start this house project so I won't be in the knife shop for a while.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 09:29:32 pm »
You should look at the EZ Boardwalk mills
You will like the hp on big logs
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools