iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks sharpener

Started by irvi00, August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouch

Quote from: gmmills on August 18, 2017, 11:02:51 PM
Magicman,

You have stated that you have Zero experience CBN wheels then why do you feel the need to even comment on the subject of CBN wheels or sharpening in general?
Your opinion is solely based on what you have been told by a WM Rep. It is really a shame that you were not able to make it to Customsawyer's project. At least you could have attended the blade educational talk that , Richard and myself presented. Our presentation was based on real world full time sawing fact. Some of the content was in direct conflict with many manufacturers recommendations. You may have then realized that there are people, full time sawyers, out there with a great deal of practical knowledge that is applied to make a living every day and are not directly affiliated with WM.

Wanna borrow my nickname for a while?

Response seems just a bit harsh.

Find something to do that interests you.

xlogger

I have to agree with gmmills. I have a TK and I'm happy with it. But some things they say to do I've found out I've change and it works better for me. I have to give Steve (ladylake) lots of credit on this, he been using TK longer than me. I'm sure WM has some room for changing also but since I have zero experience with that I can't really say. But we all have to remember they are all manufacturers selling their products and want to make you think that their way is the only way.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bandmiller2

Honestly now have any of you milled with both CBN and drag ground bands and found one superior to the other, if so by much.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jeff

gmmills, since I've been directed to your comments by several forum members annoyed with your attitude and comments toward another member, I'll comment as well. I agree with them. If everyone on here felt the need to call someone out for voicing an opinion, things would get ugly in a hurry around here. Just like I can see you seething right now because I'm calling you out. Sucks, don't it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

xlogger

bandmiller, I've used the drag type for years and it was ok, but I got the wm250 and with some help from Richard setting it up I'm totally happy with it. Blades cut great.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Magicman

gmmills, Sir, at no time have I degraded or in any way lessened the value of the knowledge and expertise that you or Cutting Edge have or share with the members and guest here on the Forestry Forum.   In fact I fully "realized that there are people, full time sawyers, out there with a great deal of practical knowledge that is applied to make a living every day".  For you to state that I do not is very questionable on your part.

I have the full right to share the knowledge that I have gained from experience or from reliable sources that I feel will aid other members and guest.

Here is the statement that I made in Reply #27:
QuoteIt's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.  My Wood-Mizer ReSharp in GA will not accept anything other than WM blades.
I fail to see where my words were "all knowing" or stated in a less than factual or professional manner.   

The fact that you represent a sponsor (KASCO/WoodMax) here on the Forestry Forum, it is surprising that you would single out any member or other sponsor in the manner that you have chosen to do.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

drobertson

I have read, and re-read this thread several times.  What I can glean from many of the posts is that there are many, many folks happy with their cooks sharpener.  Coming from tooling back ground I can say with some standing,  Cooks has a few issues with consistency in regards to drilled and tapped holes, as well as angles and the like. Not to mention their cams have a little to be desired at times.  All this to say folks can learn to work around them, once they learn.  The lady that did my blades before I started sharping my own used a Cooks,, I was happy, at 4 bucks a blades who wouldn't be? but there were at times that same weird rough finish.  Once I switched to Kasco blades all my troubles went away..(except back issues). I will stand with GMills in regards to folks,(folks with a long standing and reputation) making comments that could possibly sway ones decision making because of a level of respect of that person, even when the individual has no hands on experience, only second hand information.  Many folks myself included find it very difficult at times to discuss a topic due to the (sponsership) issue, feeling a potential retaliation would ensue, when the very information that could be shared could help many folks.  Its not a Red, or Blue, Orange, or Black issue, its folks just sharing experiences.  Now bashing, or venting is clearly not what I am talking about, just good info about trials, followed up by the resulting fix..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JB Griffin

Well said David, I agree.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Ox

I also agree, drobertson.  That was well said - far better than I ever could have said.

Quote from: Magicman on August 19, 2017, 09:02:03 AM
The fact that you represent a sponsor (KASCO/WoodMax) here on the Forestry Forum, it is surprising that you would single out any member or other sponsor in the manner that you have chosen to do.

I looked back on gmmills posts - it doesn't seem he's ever said anything about being a representative of Kasco but simply seems like a satisfied customer of Kasco/member Cutting Edge.  As am I - Kasco blades from Cutting Edge are the best I've ever used.

Looking back through these posts, it seems that there might be a hidden axe that is being ground on.  ???
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Jeff

It really doesn't matter who you agree with. My post stands and that is it. Or I could say this, none of you have any experience running this forum, so you have no business commenting on how it's done.  By saying that, it's the same thing as telling someone they should not comment on a cam because they dont have hands on experience.
This has nothing to do with sponsors and everything to do with how you treat your fellow members.

Jeff

The axe grinding observation is an astute observation. Having the benefit of being in the catbird seat, there are lots of things that I know that others may not when I formulate a post.

Corley5

I bought a Cooks a while back when I bought Homey, Fla. Deadheader's bandmill.  From the reviews I read, the price, and what I plan/planned to do with mill it fit nicely.  I also got it on sale from Cooks 8) 8) 8) 8)  Since then other things have come up.  The mill is in the barn.  The sharpener is in the shop never used.  Someday ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Percy

I been using CBN for quite a few years now, first with the upgrade your drag sharpener kit and now the BSM250. I've kinda forgotten alot of stuff I learned with  the drag sharpener. The CBN is a no brainer and can be learned quickly. Costs more. The oil mist problem, for me anyways, has been defeated by using #32 hydraulic oil. No adverse effects on blades or wheels and my sharpener area is clean compared to the 150.00 a pail stuff that makes a mess.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Ox

Percy - that's good to know.  That stuff can be had for cheaper than just about anything.  Around $40 or so around here for a 5 gallon pail.

Have you tried regular mineral oil?  It's what some professional sharpeners use.

barbender

I will say, I was one of the folks that hit the "Report to Moderator" button. Why? I didn't like the tone of some of the responses to Magicman. Plain and simple. And I'm not going to get into a war of words with someone if I think they're being disrespectful to someone, I'll let one if the moderators take care of it.  There can be a difference of opinion on matters without having a condescending or disrespectful tone. I've been on this forum for quite a while, and since Magic has joined he has contributed a great deal of knowledge and real world portable sawing experience, all with a humble and gentlemanly spirit. That's what I like and that's what sets this forum apart from others.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ladylake

Not getting in to this but if I was reshaping a band with a CBN wheel  I'd take light passes which shouldn't wear the wheel or get a wheel more suited for heavy grind reshaping. That said I have no experience with  CBN  grinding   and my old drag grinder sharpeners blades better than new but I do sharpen to a 4° hook from a 10° hook which most likely helps the most cutting wide hard wood.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ox

ladylake - good to hear from you again.  Why do you go to 4 from 10?  Is it because you have a bunch of 10s on hand and like the 4?  I'm pretty sure I remember you being quite fond of the Kasco 4s?  I am too.  I have a bunch of Cooks 10s I ground back to 7, but haven't touched them since getting my Kasco 4s from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I'll probably never touch the others again except for questionable logs.  I'm spoiled now!

I can't wait to convert my Cooks into a CBN.  It'll be a good thing for me and my couple customers as well.

barbender

I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Kascos on here, I'm going to have to give them a try. I'd also considered giving a cbn wheel a go on my Cook's, I remember a while back someone was selling a dry grind cbn out of Ireland on here, I can't remember the name, but I also remember a few members tried them and got poor life out of them, if I remember right. I am satisfied with my Cook's, as I already stated, but I will say it is really hard to get a consistent grind (for me) without burning the tips. If I set it light enough that it doesn't burn teeth, it doesn't even touch some. I've tried cranking the blade clamp, varying the tension, doesn't seem to matter. I quit caring about a slight burn. But then I don't get many bf on a sharpening either.
Too many irons in the fire

ladylake

Quote from: Ox on August 20, 2017, 10:36:15 PM
ladylake - good to hear from you again.  Why do you go to 4 from 10?  Is it because you have a bunch of 10s on hand and like the 4?  I'm pretty sure I remember you being quite fond of the Kasco 4s?  I am too.  I have a bunch of Cooks 10s I ground back to 7, but haven't touched them since getting my Kasco 4s from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I'll probably never touch the others again except for questionable logs.  I'm spoiled now!

I can't wait to convert my Cooks into a CBN.  It'll be a good thing for me and my couple customers as well.°°

I go to 4° blades as they cut straighter than 10° blades in tough wood.  I run Simonds blades which I can only find in 10°. I did try some Kasco blades which were ok but the Simonds cut straighter on my mill, the Kascos cut pretty good after a few sharpening's which made the gullet the same as the Simonds which comes with a shallower gullet.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

Ox, what is entailed in changing a Cooks drag into a CBN.?? What would be nice is the ability to switch back and forth. Drag grind to CBN profile, then sharpen CBN. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Rickcnc

Quote from: barbender on August 20, 2017, 11:40:13 PM
I am satisfied with my Cook's, as I already stated, but I will say it is really hard to get a consistent grind (for me) without burning the tips. If I set it light enough that it doesn't burn teeth, it doesn't even touch some. I've tried cranking the blade clamp, varying the tension, doesn't seem to matter. I quit caring about a slight burn. But then I don't get many bf on a sharpening either.

I was getting burned tips on my cooks and I found slowing the feed rate down helped and gave me a nice smooth grind.. although it had a negative impact on how many blades I could do a hour. That said I still have a lot to learn, only sharpened 50 - 60 blades.

Ox

bandmiller2 - it'll take a different cam (either new or modified cam on hand), CBN wheel for the profile of the blades you plan on sharpening, oil pump and oil delivery system, filter/magnet system in an oil containment/catch system.  It's a lot to do and modify but I think it'll be more than worth it in the end.  I'll get it done with close help from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I may have forgot something here but he'll know what all I'll need and can get all the stuff too.  He's already done it before and has a mind like an elephant and don't seem to forget much.  I'll be using the CBN wheels from him too.  I'm not sure where they're made but apparently they outlast other ones significantly. (edit it's Rix Saws CBN wheels).

If you planned ahead I think you could make it so you could switch between drag and CBN pretty quick and easy.  Something cut to fit over the oil tank to keep grinding dust out, take off CBN wheel and mount stone, switch cams and you're into drag sharpening again.  However, there'll be oil all over the machine and the grinding dust will be sticking to everything and when you go back to CBN it'll wash a bunch into the tank and probably plug things up quicker.  I've heard of a guy that uses CBN dry on a Cooks with apparently good life and results.  I'm not sure I want to try that on my dime...

Ox

thanks, drobertson - i fixed that in my original post. :)

Thank You Sponsors!