iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooks sharpener

Started by irvi00, August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

Time for me to look into sharpening my own blades. The cooks cat claw sharpener and dual tooth setter looks like a good combo for the money. Anyone using it? Pros or cons? Anything out there better? Open to any and all experience and opinions.

Ga Mtn Man

Hey Allen-  I pulled my mill right past your place yesterday on the way down to a job just outside of Alto.  I keep meaning to stop by y'alls place and say hi.  If I were buying new, I'd go with a WM CBN sharpener.  Way less of a learning curve and very consistent results, from what I've been told.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

irvi00

You have to stop by sometime!!!!!

Ga Mtn Man

I have to come in to town tomorrow.  I may just take a little side trip out your way.  When's your less-busy time?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

bandmiller2

I have the Cooks cats claw and I'am well pleased. Its a robust machine and will last a lifetime. Most of the parts are commonly available, although through Cooks the parts are reasonable. One advantage of the cat is its adaptability especially if you have different brands and spacing of band teeth. Don't fret over the number of different cams, myself I use one for almost all bands. The guys will be along to tout the shaped wheel machines they are a good option but are quite specific. A good dual tooth setter is important as setting is boring. You may consider sharpening bands for others it won't take you long to pay off the sharpener. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

irvi00

The WM shapeners are quite a bit more money. I've been studying hard at several different machines. The cook looks like best bang for the buck but I'd love to hear some "real" talk from real users. I've already spent 500 bucks to have blades sharpened in 6 months. Time for me to learn how to do it myself.

irvi00

irvi00

Ga Mtn Man, come on by anytime. I'm there 9-5, everyday.

Banjo picker

I have the Cooks cat claw sharpener and a single tooth setter.  I love the sharpener, but do spend the money and get the dual tooth setter, like bandmiller2 said, "it is boring" with a single tooth setter. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

redprospector

I've got a Cat Claw sharpener, and single tooth setter. I've got no complaints. I may upgrade to a dual tooth setter some day, but I'm satisfied with the sharpener.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

barbender

Another vote for the Cook's sharpener here. I like the versatility of the unit, too. I've never used the WM CBN sharpeners, they look like a really nice set up, although I think having to run the cutting oil would be a pain. From what I've read, a lot of the folks that are running the WM CBN machines and say they would "never go back" to a drag grinder were using the WM drag grinder, which sounds like it may have been finicky and built a bit light? I don't think they'd go back, regardless, but maybe the difference in grind quality between the  Cook's and the CBN isn't as great. My .02
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

I had a drag WM one when I started a long time ago. When I got too busy I went with the CBN.  :o :o :o :o
With the CBN you can make the blade new again. For the $$$ your way ahead with the CBN
Payed off the CBN sharpener and setter in less than a year.
Less work and a better job.
Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work, Then look at the two blades, Your mind will be made up fast.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

kelLOGg

I have had the Cook sharpener and single tooth setter for 16 years and am pleased with both, although a dual setter would be nicer.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I also vote CatClaw!

I bought mine in 2009 and figuring at $7.00 sharpening fee, the sharpener and setter paid for themselves somewhere near the middle of 2010.

One thing I really like about the CatClaw is that it is heavy-built!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

irvi00

Thanks for all the info!

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 11, 2017, 06:12:52 AM
I had a drag WM one when I started a long time ago. When I got too busy I went with the CBN.  :o :o :o :o
With the CBN you can make the blade new again. For the $$$ your way ahead with the CBN
Payed off the CBN sharpener and setter in less than a year.
Less work and a better job.
Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work, Then look at the two blades, Your mind will be made up fast.

smiley_thumbsup
I had a Cooks sharpener and used it for maybe three years.  It's a good sharpener, and as people said, nothing wrong with it and it will last forever.  I settled on a couple blade profiles I like and for various reasons, bought a BMS 250 CBN about 3 months ago.  All I can say is if Cooks rates an "A" then this is an "A+" and worth every penney.
I still use my Cooks dual tooth, as it sets accurately and fast. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

LeeB

Quote from: Chuck White on August 11, 2017, 07:30:46 AM
One thing I really like about the CatClaw is that it is heavy-built!

Heavy is the truth. If you plan on moving it much you should invest in a truss.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

customsawyer

I have both the Cooks and the WM CBN sharpeners in my shop. Come on down and take a look at them and then make up your own mind.  ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Mooseherder

Quote from: customsawyer on August 12, 2017, 06:13:24 AM
I have both the Cooks and the WM CBN sharpeners in my shop. Come on down and take a look at them and then make up your own mind.  ;)
By golly, looky here.
http://youtu.be/qJOL0xb6VsY

Chuck White

Another thing to consider in choosing whether to go with the "drag style" or "CBN" sharpener is whether or not you will be sharpening blades for other people!

They will likely have blades with different profiles than what you have, in which case IMHO the drag style would be more forgiving due to the CBN wheels being very specific!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

irvi00

Great info!! Thanks to all! I'm gonna watch and learn for a little while. Can't afford it just yet. I'll have to bust a few more knots.

irvi00

Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

4x4American

Quote from: irvi00 on August 12, 2017, 08:50:38 PM
Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

I dont think you could ask for a better deal.  CBN and a stone side by side with a guy who's got more experience than probably more than 3/4 of the forum...PS he has a beer tooth :D
Boy, back in my day..

irvi00

I don't intend to sharpen for other people, I'm busy enough as it is. The CBN might be my best option. Customsawyer, if I get a chance I would definitely like to come down and watch both machines work!

irvi00

So I'm going to ask a dumb question. But I have to ask anyway. The WM sharpener with CBN wheels, can I use that for other brands of blades or am I confined solely to WM blades? I think I already know the answer but just asking. Lately I've become very fond of Lenox blades from Precision Saw works.

Thank You Sponsors!