The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Cooks sharpener  (Read 9247 times)

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
Re: Cooks sharpener
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:45 pm »
Great info!! Thanks to all! I'm gonna watch and learn for a little while. Can't afford it just yet. I'll have to bust a few more knots.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:38 pm »
Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:55 pm »
Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

I dont think you could ask for a better deal.  CBN and a stone side by side with a guy who's got more experience than probably more than 3/4 of the forum...PS he has a beer tooth :D
Boy, back in my day..

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:21 pm »
I don't intend to sharpen for other people, I'm busy enough as it is. The CBN might be my best option. Customsawyer, if I get a chance I would definitely like to come down and watch both machines work!

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:20 pm »
So I'm going to ask a dumb question. But I have to ask anyway. The WM sharpener with CBN wheels, can I use that for other brands of blades or am I confined solely to WM blades? I think I already know the answer but just asking. Lately I've become very fond of Lenox blades from Precision Saw works.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
If you use a WM CBN your Lenox bands would just have a WM profile. You would probably never notice the difference in how they look or cut. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »
Thanks bandmiller2. That's what I figured. A dumb question is one that isn't asked. But I had to ask it. I'm leaning towards the WM BMS 250 sharpener and either the cooks or Suffolk setter.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:25:56 pm »
It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.  My Wood-Mizer ReSharp in GA will not accept anything other than WM blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
A cbn wheel needs to match the profile of the blade. Otherwise, excessive wear on the wheel. I converted my wm drag type sharpener to use a cbn wheel. Used it to re-profile about 50 blades. The cbn wheel is shot...$150  but still worth it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:43 am »
Any of you CBN'ers tried regritting the wheels, or at least the heavily worn parts. ?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 08:14:08 am »
A cbn wheel needs to match the profile of the blade. Otherwise, excessive wear on the wheel. I converted my wm drag type sharpener to use a cbn wheel. Used it to re-profile about 50 blades. The cbn wheel is shot...$150  but still worth it.
I've heard the same thing, and I have a passel of WM blades that I ground with the Cooks drag sharpener, but I've been taking very light passes and haven't noticed any damage, yet.  I'm watching closely, and I may trash the wheel, but I feel it has already been a good trade up.  My goal is to resahrpen and use up all my WM blades sharpened with the Cooks, and that way I can just push the CBN as far as it will go and hopefully it will last long enough to get them all.  After that, I will only have WM profiles, and I can get a new wheel if I need to.   

With the BMS 250, which is the low end model, I'm impressed with its accuracy and very clean grind.  I sharpen after I set, and it has made the setting operation much more accurate.  Almost no burr to remove and about twice the tooth consistency, measured with the setters dial indicators, pre set. Zero burn. 

Certainly, some stink from the oil, some mess, and I have taken to using latex gloves when handling the blades.  There is a learning curve, but after a few blades it was pretty routine. 

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »

The WM sharpener with CBN wheels, can I use that for other brands of blades or am I confined solely to WM blades?

There are wheels available for all the Kasco WoodMaxx profiles.  There are several manufacturers that market profiles that mimic each other and one CBN wheel would very effectively work for all of them. 

Conversely, there are some profiles on the market that are very specific and you would be much better off to have a CBN wheel that is meant for that specific profile in lieu of altering it to match.

Examples - You wouldn't want to take a Kasco 4 WoodMaxx and turn it into the Kasco 7 SuperMaxx or take a WM 9 deg and turn it into a WM 4 deg.  Alot of material to remove.

It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels. 

Au Contraire.  There are CBN wheels on the market that are indeed specifically for this purpose.  It could be a CBN wheel for a simple hook angle change, all the way to a full out profile change and prototyping.

There are several of us here on the FF that use "regular" CBN wheels for re-profiling blades to meet our's or a customer's specific needs.  Not for a mere 50 blades... for 100's of blades and still going strong... just can't be sourced from WM.

To address irvi00's original question,

Peter D. stated "Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work.  Your mind will be made up fast".  A trip to customsawyer's would provide that opportunity. 

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blade Distributor
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 09:03:37 pm »
We are both speaking of generalities so I do not see the disagreement??  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Oh, there is no disagreement, maybe just a misunderstanding of how you interpreted my post.  Based on your concluding smiley, it seems that may be the case.

I relayed information based on facts and real world experience/application to help the OP try to make an informed and educated decision including examples and details.  I do not feel there were any "generalities" on my part in any fashion.  The OP is looking to make a significant investment and wants to do so as best as he can.  Information based on conjecture and here-say, does not aid him in any manner, and could very possibly lead him to a make purchase that might not be the best for his specific long-term goals.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »
It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.
And this is a statement of fact, not conjecture.  The degree of wear will be determined by how much the profile differs, but the wear will be there.

Yes, we address the PM's specific question but always remember that there are many members and guests that are also reading that may have a slightly or very different situation and are trying to glean information that will aid in their decision making.

I was never questioning your knowledge or expertise.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Team red, white, blue and orange
    • Website Link
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:20 pm »
 :P
Boy, back in my day..

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
irvi00,  I see you are thinking of buying a BMS250 CBN Grinder. Very wise choice compared to a drag, Cook's,style grinder. I have been sharpening my own blades for over 16 yrs. Over this length of time I have experienced the astounding evolution in blade maintenance equipment. The CBN sharpeners are far superior to any drag style sharpener. Yes, to all you doubters, over the years I have had the unfortunate necessity to have to use a drag style grinder, never again. I currently own 2 CBN sharpeners a BMS250 And an older Pro Series which is the same unit that Customsawyer owns.

The only Dual tooth setters that I would even consider purchasing are the WM or the Suffolk, Timberwolf , setters. I have personally owned a Cook's dual tooth setter for as lengthy 14 days and sent it back. I could not get that thing back on the truck fast enough.  All Cooks Dual tooth setters have a major design flaw. They do not have clamping system that will hold the blade body stable prior to the bending anvils contacting the tooth to be set. Without this feature the blade body is accentually twisted as the teeth are being bent. This causes extreme inconsistencies in tooth set. The other two, WM and Suffolk have a two stage clamping feature which allows for far more accurate set tolerances.

Hope this helps you to make an informed decision before you spend your hard earned money.       
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:40 pm »
And this is a statement of fact, not conjecture.  The degree of wear will be determined by how much the profile differs, but the wear will be there.

Would you mind sharing your experience with CBN wheels ? 

Yes, we address the PM's specific question but always remember that there are many members and guests that are also reading that may have a slightly or very different situation and are trying to glean information that will aid in their decision making.

Yes, and that is why I posted the information that I did.  To help unmuddy the waters.  There is already enough false and mis-leading information about this industry as it is which makes for alot of confusion, especially to someone who is new.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

Offline MobileSawMilSlo

• New owner just learning and working
    • Mobilna zaga - Slovenia
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:53 am »
Hi guys

Can you please tell me how many times can you sharpen blades with CBN before changing the CBN for the new one?

I have opportunity to buy drag style sharpener for aprox 300$ (sharpener is cooled with oil) but they way I see it from your words, the CBN is better.

Regards, Dejan
Woodmizer LT20 mobile - super hydraulic https://mobilnazaga.com

Online Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Sanbornton Construction L.L.C.
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 05:53:19 am »

Can you please tell me how many times can you sharpen blades with CBN before changing the CBN for the new one?

Regards, Dejan

I get 600 + blades with one CBN
2008 LT40 super, And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987