The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Cooks sharpener  (Read 2473 times)

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
Cooks sharpener
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:56 pm »
Time for me to look into sharpening my own blades. The cooks cat claw sharpener and dual tooth setter looks like a good combo for the money. Anyone using it? Pros or cons? Anything out there better? Open to any and all experience and opinions.

Online Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
Re: Cooks sharpener
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:52:54 pm »
Hey Allen-  I pulled my mill right past your place yesterday on the way down to a job just outside of Alto.  I keep meaning to stop by y'alls place and say hi.  If I were buying new, I'd go with a WM CBN sharpener.  Way less of a learning curve and very consistent results, from what I've been told.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:54:29 pm »
You have to stop by sometime!!!!!

Online Ga Mtn Man

• Senior Member x2
  • Y'all can call me GMM
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:58 pm »
I have to come in to town tomorrow.  I may just take a little side trip out your way.  When's your less-busy time?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 08:59:39 pm »
I have the Cooks cats claw and I'am well pleased. Its a robust machine and will last a lifetime. Most of the parts are commonly available, although through Cooks the parts are reasonable. One advantage of the cat is its adaptability especially if you have different brands and spacing of band teeth. Don't fret over the number of different cams, myself I use one for almost all bands. The guys will be along to tout the shaped wheel machines they are a good option but are quite specific. A good dual tooth setter is important as setting is boring. You may consider sharpening bands for others it won't take you long to pay off the sharpener. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:00:11 pm »
The WM shapeners are quite a bit more money. I've been studying hard at several different machines. The cook looks like best bang for the buck but I'd love to hear some "real" talk from real users. I've already spent 500 bucks to have blades sharpened in 6 months. Time for me to learn how to do it myself.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 09:01:36 pm »
Thanks bandmiller2!

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 09:02:40 pm »
Ga Mtn Man, come on by anytime. I'm there 9-5, everyday.

Offline Banjo picker

• Senior Member x2
  • A goal without a plan is just a dream. Elbert H.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 11:07:18 pm »
I have the Cooks cat claw sharpener and a single tooth setter.  I love the sharpener, but do spend the money and get the dual tooth setter, like bandmiller2 said, "it is boring" with a single tooth setter. Banjo
Cooks AC 36--Prentice 210C--Morgan edger--Kubota M7040 with loader--Case 580 K with extendahoe--Case 850C dozer--Int 1700 series twin cylinder dump/log/flatbed truck--logging arch--2 logrite mill sp.--Cat claw sharpening system--And a bulldog to make sure it all stays here.

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 01:13:13 am »
I've got a Cat Claw sharpener, and single tooth setter. I've got no complaints. I may upgrade to a dual tooth setter some day, but I'm satisfied with the sharpener.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 02:01:50 am »
Another vote for the Cook's sharpener here. I like the versatility of the unit, too. I've never used the WM CBN sharpeners, they look like a really nice set up, although I think having to run the cutting oil would be a pain. From what I've read, a lot of the folks that are running the WM CBN machines and say they would "never go back" to a drag grinder were using the WM drag grinder, which sounds like it may have been finicky and built a bit light? I don't think they'd go back, regardless, but maybe the difference in grind quality between the  Cook's and the CBN isn't as great. My .02
Too many irons in the fire

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Sanbornton Construction L.L.C.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 06:12:52 am »
I had a drag WM one when I started a long time ago. When I got too busy I went with the CBN.  :o :o :o :o
With the CBN you can make the blade new again. For the $$$ your way ahead with the CBN
Payed off the CBN sharpener and setter in less than a year.
Less work and a better job.
Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work, Then look at the two blades, Your mind will be made up fast.
2008 LT40 super, And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline kelLOGg

• Senior Member x2
  • Still learning more than I'm teaching
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:27 am »
I have had the Cook sharpener and single tooth setter for 16 years and am pleased with both, although a dual setter would be nicer.
Cook's MP-32, 16HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw, tandem trailer, log arches, trailer, tractor, hammer

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
  • Sawing Mobile since 2005
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 07:30:46 am »
I also vote CatClaw!

I bought mine in 2009 and figuring at $7.00 sharpening fee, the sharpener and setter paid for themselves somewhere near the middle of 2010.

One thing I really like about the CatClaw is that it is heavy-built!
~Chuck~
Retired USAF (1989), Retired School Bus Driver (2012), and now a Mobile Sawyer
1995 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG2425 Kohler - Shingle & LapSider
Cooks Cat Claw Sharpener, 4-foot Logrite cant hook.
Basic mechanical skills are all that's required to maintain the Wood-Mizer.
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 08:49:27 am »
Thanks for all the info!

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 11:03:53 pm »
I had a drag WM one when I started a long time ago. When I got too busy I went with the CBN.  :o :o :o :o
With the CBN you can make the blade new again. For the $$$ your way ahead with the CBN
Payed off the CBN sharpener and setter in less than a year.
Less work and a better job.
Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work, Then look at the two blades, Your mind will be made up fast.

smiley_thumbsup
I had a Cooks sharpener and used it for maybe three years.  It's a good sharpener, and as people said, nothing wrong with it and it will last forever.  I settled on a couple blade profiles I like and for various reasons, bought a BMS 250 CBN about 3 months ago.  All I can say is if Cooks rates an "A" then this is an "A+" and worth every penney.
I still use my Cooks dual tooth, as it sets accurately and fast. 
Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Online LeeB

• Senior Member x2
  • proud to be a TEXAN in Arkansas
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 06:00:06 am »
One thing I really like about the CatClaw is that it is heavy-built!

Heavy is the truth. If you plan on moving it much you should invest in a truss.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, Ford 851 tractor, JD 3032 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton and 2005 1 ton Dodge 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Online customsawyer

• Senior Member x2
    • The Custom Sawyer
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2017, 06:13:24 am »
I have both the Cooks and the WM CBN sharpeners in my shop. Come on down and take a look at them and then make up your own mind.  ;)
Two LT70s and to much other support equipment to mention.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Online Mooseherder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2017, 06:31:43 am »
I have both the Cooks and the WM CBN sharpeners in my shop. Come on down and take a look at them and then make up your own mind.  ;)
By golly, looky here.
Lane Circle Mill

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 07:52:22 am »
Another thing to consider in choosing whether to go with the "drag style" or "CBN" sharpener is whether or not you will be sharpening blades for other people!

They will likely have blades with different profiles than what you have, in which case IMHO the drag style would be more forgiving due to the CBN wheels being very specific!
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:45 pm »
Great info!! Thanks to all! I'm gonna watch and learn for a little while. Can't afford it just yet. I'll have to bust a few more knots.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2017, 08:50:38 pm »
Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood is good
    • Website Link
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2017, 09:53:55 pm »
Customsawyer, I might just take you up on that in the near future.

I dont think you could ask for a better deal.  CBN and a stone side by side with a guy who's got more experience than probably more than 3/4 of the forum...PS he has a beer tooth :D
Would Mizer LT40HDSD36-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT
Baker Model A

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 06:16:21 pm »
I don't intend to sharpen for other people, I'm busy enough as it is. The CBN might be my best option. Customsawyer, if I get a chance I would definitely like to come down and watch both machines work!

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 07:33:20 pm »
So I'm going to ask a dumb question. But I have to ask anyway. The WM sharpener with CBN wheels, can I use that for other brands of blades or am I confined solely to WM blades? I think I already know the answer but just asking. Lately I've become very fond of Lenox blades from Precision Saw works.

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
If you use a WM CBN your Lenox bands would just have a WM profile. You would probably never notice the difference in how they look or cut. Frank C.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 07:51:03 pm »
Thanks bandmiller2. That's what I figured. A dumb question is one that isn't asked. But I had to ask it. I'm leaning towards the WM BMS 250 sharpener and either the cooks or Suffolk setter.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 10:25:56 pm »
It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.  My Wood-Mizer ReSharp in GA will not accept anything other than WM blades.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
A cbn wheel needs to match the profile of the blade. Otherwise, excessive wear on the wheel. I converted my wm drag type sharpener to use a cbn wheel. Used it to re-profile about 50 blades. The cbn wheel is shot...$150  but still worth it.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 07:47:43 am »
Any of you CBN'ers tried regritting the wheels, or at least the heavily worn parts. ?? Frank C.

Offline YellowHammer

• Senior Member x2
  • There's a lot more to it.
    • Hobby Hardwood Alabama
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2017, 08:14:08 am »
A cbn wheel needs to match the profile of the blade. Otherwise, excessive wear on the wheel. I converted my wm drag type sharpener to use a cbn wheel. Used it to re-profile about 50 blades. The cbn wheel is shot...$150  but still worth it.
I've heard the same thing, and I have a passel of WM blades that I ground with the Cooks drag sharpener, but I've been taking very light passes and haven't noticed any damage, yet.  I'm watching closely, and I may trash the wheel, but I feel it has already been a good trade up.  My goal is to resahrpen and use up all my WM blades sharpened with the Cooks, and that way I can just push the CBN as far as it will go and hopefully it will last long enough to get them all.  After that, I will only have WM profiles, and I can get a new wheel if I need to.   

With the BMS 250, which is the low end model, I'm impressed with its accuracy and very clean grind.  I sharpen after I set, and it has made the setting operation much more accurate.  Almost no burr to remove and about twice the tooth consistency, measured with the setters dial indicators, pre set. Zero burn. 

Certainly, some stink from the oil, some mess, and I have taken to using latex gloves when handling the blades.  There is a learning curve, but after a few blades it was pretty routine. 

Hobby Hardwood Alabama.com
LT40 Diesel Hydraulic, Stihl 028, MS440, MS660, 2 Kilns

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »

The WM sharpener with CBN wheels, can I use that for other brands of blades or am I confined solely to WM blades?

There are wheels available for all the Kasco WoodMaxx profiles.  There are several manufacturers that market profiles that mimic each other and one CBN wheel would very effectively work for all of them. 

Conversely, there are some profiles on the market that are very specific and you would be much better off to have a CBN wheel that is meant for that specific profile in lieu of altering it to match.

Examples - You wouldn't want to take a Kasco 4 WoodMaxx and turn it into the Kasco 7 SuperMaxx or take a WM 9 deg and turn it into a WM 4 deg.  Alot of material to remove.

It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels. 

Au Contraire.  There are CBN wheels on the market that are indeed specifically for this purpose.  It could be a CBN wheel for a simple hook angle change, all the way to a full out profile change and prototyping.

There are several of us here on the FF that use "regular" CBN wheels for re-profiling blades to meet our's or a customer's specific needs.  Not for a mere 50 blades... for 100's of blades and still going strong... just can't be sourced from WM.

To address irvi00's original question,

Peter D. stated "Use someone's rock or watch one work, then watch a CBN work.  Your mind will be made up fast".  A trip to customsawyer's would provide that opportunity. 

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
 - Sharpening Services
 - Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
 - On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blade Distributor

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2017, 09:03:37 pm »
We are both speaking of generalities so I do not see the disagreement??  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:56 pm »
Oh, there is no disagreement, maybe just a misunderstanding of how you interpreted my post.  Based on your concluding smiley, it seems that may be the case.

I relayed information based on facts and real world experience/application to help the OP try to make an informed and educated decision including examples and details.  I do not feel there were any "generalities" on my part in any fashion.  The OP is looking to make a significant investment and wants to do so as best as he can.  Information based on conjecture and here-say, does not aid him in any manner, and could very possibly lead him to a make purchase that might not be the best for his specific long-term goals.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 10:31:30 pm »
It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.
And this is a statement of fact, not conjecture.  The degree of wear will be determined by how much the profile differs, but the wear will be there.

Yes, we address the PM's specific question but always remember that there are many members and guests that are also reading that may have a slightly or very different situation and are trying to glean information that will aid in their decision making.

I was never questioning your knowledge or expertise.

Offline 4x4American

• Senior Member x2
  • Wood is good
    • Website Link
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 10:58:20 pm »
 :P
Would Mizer LT40HDSD36-RA
Cooks AE344P
Clark CFY-70
Caterpillar 420E IT
Baker Model A

Offline gmmills

• I need to edit my profile!
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »
irvi00,  I see you are thinking of buying a BMS250 CBN Grinder. Very wise choice compared to a drag, Cook's,style grinder. I have been sharpening my own blades for over 16 yrs. Over this length of time I have experienced the astounding evolution in blade maintenance equipment. The CBN sharpeners are far superior to any drag style sharpener. Yes, to all you doubters, over the years I have had the unfortunate necessity to have to use a drag style grinder, never again. I currently own 2 CBN sharpeners a BMS250 And an older Pro Series which is the same unit that Customsawyer owns.

The only Dual tooth setters that I would even consider purchasing are the WM or the Suffolk, Timberwolf , setters. I have personally owned a Cook's dual tooth setter for as lengthy 14 days and sent it back. I could not get that thing back on the truck fast enough.  All Cooks Dual tooth setters have a major design flaw. They do not have clamping system that will hold the blade body stable prior to the bending anvils contacting the tooth to be set. Without this feature the blade body is accentually twisted as the teeth are being bent. This causes extreme inconsistencies in tooth set. The other two, WM and Suffolk have a two stage clamping feature which allows for far more accurate set tolerances.

Hope this helps you to make an informed decision before you spend your hard earned money.       
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline Cutting Edge

• Rix-Saws CBN Wheels
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:40 pm »
And this is a statement of fact, not conjecture.  The degree of wear will be determined by how much the profile differs, but the wear will be there.

Would you mind sharing your experience with CBN wheels ? 

Yes, we address the PM's specific question but always remember that there are many members and guests that are also reading that may have a slightly or very different situation and are trying to glean information that will aid in their decision making.

Yes, and that is why I posted the information that I did.  To help unmuddy the waters.  There is already enough false and mis-leading information about this industry as it is which makes for alot of confusion, especially to someone who is new.

- Sharpening Services

Offline MobileSawMilSlo

• New owner just learning and working
    • Mobilna zaga - Slovenia
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2017, 12:45:53 am »
Hi guys

Can you please tell me how many times can you sharpen blades with CBN before changing the CBN for the new one?

I have opportunity to buy drag style sharpener for aprox 300$ (sharpener is cooled with oil) but they way I see it from your words, the CBN is better.

Regards, Dejan
Woodmizer LT20 mobile - super hydraulic https://mobilnazaga.com

Offline Peter Drouin

• Senior Member x2
    • Sanbornton Construction L.L.C.
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2017, 05:53:19 am »

Can you please tell me how many times can you sharpen blades with CBN before changing the CBN for the new one?

Regards, Dejan

I get 600 + blades with one CBN
2008 LT40 super, And can cut up to 45' long
http://www.forestryforum.com/sanbornton     NH Timberland Owners Association supporter.
And a license NH soft wood grader.
Sawing since 1987

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2017, 07:11:44 am »
With Richard advise I got the WM250 and wheels from him, really happy with how my blades cut now and lasting longer also. Not sure how long the wheel will last but holding on well now. Richard has been very helpful with me on getting started. I'd sure take his advice and knowledge on wheels.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2017, 08:07:53 am »
Would you mind sharing your experience with CBN wheels ? 
Zero.  I will simply defer to the largest blade manufacturer and resharpener in the world...Wood-Mizer.

As I stated earlier Richard, I was never questioning your knowledge or expertise.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2017, 10:15:56 am »
Time for me to look into sharpening my own blades. The cooks cat claw sharpener and dual tooth setter looks like a good combo for the money. Anyone using it? Pros or cons? Anything out there better? Open to any and all experience and opinions.
All I have is an opinion. But its based on several different folks supplying resharps to me in the past.
One of which was the "number one manufacturer of band blades" then others followed after my less than satisfaction with the blades as well as the resharp service. Speaking with many folks in these parts that have grew up sawing, made it a family tradition in many cases, I followed their advice many times.  To sum it all up, just my opinion, I figure any tool would work, some better than others, some less expensive as the others. The bottom line is what works for you and your application and budget.  One thing to always remember about budgeting for equipment is how will it perform in the long haul. If you shell out bucks and ultimately become unsatisfied, are you making enough to justify replacing for the better?  It's all a learning curve, and listening to those who have been down the road, hands on in my opinion have the best advice.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline Chuck White

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2017, 03:08:07 pm »
I use only my Cat-Claw sharpener and single-tooth setter!

Not looking any further, completely satisfied with what I have!   :)
~Chuck~
I LOVE MY SAWMILL

Offline Bluejay27

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2017, 05:54:09 pm »
I cut a lot of tree service logs and reclaimed lumber, and often enough knock 1/16"+ off the tips. My two tricks on the BMS250 to deal with this are either stagger the grind or drop down to a shorter profile (i.e. 10/32 to 9/29).

By stagger the grind, I mean push the blade too far about 1/32" so the top is ground without having to grind the gullet. I then do a light pass to get the burr on the tip of the tooth. This grinds a lot faster than 2 proper heavy grinds and I can shorten the tooth relative to the gullet without issues.

I have made mistakes and damaged wheels, as well as intentional done an abusive grind to make a custom metal-sawing profile, but I've still only gone through 3 wheels in at least 1000 sharpenings. Especially at $150/wheel now, that isn't bad at all. I go through oil faster than that, although I now use used transmission and hydraulic oil (absolutely no engine oil, carcinogenic!) along with a good respirator and gloves. So I have no issue with re-profiling, and I regularly sharpen non-WM blades for customers (of course I only use WM, the 1-1/2x0.050" doublehard is my new favorite on the LT40).
'98 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD42 Super, '08 LT40HDG28, '15 LT70HDD55-RW, '93 Clark GPX25 Forklift, '99 Ford F550

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2017, 07:38:23 pm »
This is all great info and thanks to all! I see pros and cons on both sides, (drag vs. CBN). I went through 60 WM bands first thing, I wasn't happy with the performance. Anytime I slowed the feed down, (wide cuts, knots...etc.) I was getting this terrible wavy cut on the surface. After I had them sharpened and set from a guy with a professional shop, this phenomenon went away. No matter how fast or slow I fed the cut I got the same smooth finish. I've since bought a batch of Lenox blades and also a batch of timberwolf blades. Both cut great, smooth finish no matter speed of feed. The Lenox blades were a much better value than the timberwolf and WM. Hence I have become fond of the Lenox blades. So in this case I would be hesitant to use a CBN type sharpener to profile those blades to a WM profile. Thoughts?

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »
What type of grinder did the professional sharpener use.?? Frank C.

Offline irvi00

• I'm new!
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2017, 08:39:43 pm »
What type of grinder did the professional sharpener use.?? Frank C.

A very old school looking drag sharpener. All his stuff looks 100 years old. Dark as midnight in there. He keeps a lightbulb over each machine. He sharpens any type of saw, hammers circular saws, and sharpens chipper and planer blades. I was very happy with how he sharpened my bands, they were better than new.

Offline gmmills

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2017, 11:02:51 pm »
 Magicman,

You have stated that you have Zero experience CBN wheels then why do you feel the need to even comment on the subject of CBN wheels or sharpening in general?
Your opinion is solely based on what you have been told by a WM Rep. It is really a shame that you were not able to make it to Customsawyer's project. At least you could have attended the blade educational talk that , Richard and myself presented. Our presentation was based on real world full time sawing fact. Some of the content was in direct conflict with many manufacturers recommendations. You may have then realized that there are people, full time sawyers, out there with a great deal of practical knowledge that is applied to make a living every day and are not directly affiliated with WM.   
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2017, 05:40:47 am »
Wow realy
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Online grouch

• I'm recyclable!
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 06:07:42 am »
Magicman,

You have stated that you have Zero experience CBN wheels then why do you feel the need to even comment on the subject of CBN wheels or sharpening in general?
Your opinion is solely based on what you have been told by a WM Rep. It is really a shame that you were not able to make it to Customsawyer's project. At least you could have attended the blade educational talk that , Richard and myself presented. Our presentation was based on real world full time sawing fact. Some of the content was in direct conflict with many manufacturers recommendations. You may have then realized that there are people, full time sawyers, out there with a great deal of practical knowledge that is applied to make a living every day and are not directly affiliated with WM.

Wanna borrow my nickname for a while?

Response seems just a bit harsh.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 06:46:57 am »
I have to agree with gmmills. I have a TK and I'm happy with it. But some things they say to do I've found out I've change and it works better for me. I have to give Steve (ladylake) lots of credit on this, he been using TK longer than me. I'm sure WM has some room for changing also but since I have zero experience with that I can't really say. But we all have to remember they are all manufacturers selling their products and want to make you think that their way is the only way.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 07:41:33 am »
Honestly now have any of you milled with both CBN and drag ground bands and found one superior to the other, if so by much.?? Frank C.

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • This rule uses my position.
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 08:22:39 am »
gmmills, since I've been directed to your comments by several forum members annoyed with your attitude and comments toward another member, I'll comment as well. I agree with them. If everyone on here felt the need to call someone out for voicing an opinion, things would get ugly in a hurry around here. Just like I can see you seething right now because I'm calling you out. Sucks, don't it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline xlogger

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 08:31:29 am »
bandmiller, I've used the drag type for years and it was ok, but I got the wm250 and with some help from Richard setting it up I'm totally happy with it. Blades cut great.

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 09:02:03 am »
gmmills, Sir, at no time have I degraded or in any way lessened the value of the knowledge and expertise that you or Cutting Edge have or share with the members and guest here on the Forestry Forum.   In fact I fully "realized that there are people, full time sawyers, out there with a great deal of practical knowledge that is applied to make a living every day".  For you to state that I do not is very questionable on your part.

I have the full right to share the knowledge that I have gained from experience or from reliable sources that I feel will aid other members and guest.

Here is the statement that I made in Reply #27:
It's my understanding that blades with an even slightly different profile are not kind to CBN wheels because the reshaping unnecessarily wears the wheels.  My Wood-Mizer ReSharp in GA will not accept anything other than WM blades.
I fail to see where my words were "all knowing" or stated in a less than factual or professional manner.   

The fact that you represent a sponsor (KASCO/WoodMax) here on the Forestry Forum, it is surprising that you would single out any member or other sponsor in the manner that you have chosen to do.

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
  • Trying to learn/remember something new every day.
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 11:17:59 am »
 ??? :P
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 09:07:34 am »
I have read, and re-read this thread several times.  What I can glean from many of the posts is that there are many, many folks happy with their cooks sharpener.  Coming from tooling back ground I can say with some standing,  Cooks has a few issues with consistency in regards to drilled and tapped holes, as well as angles and the like. Not to mention their cams have a little to be desired at times.  All this to say folks can learn to work around them, once they learn.  The lady that did my blades before I started sharping my own used a Cooks,, I was happy, at 4 bucks a blades who wouldn't be? but there were at times that same weird rough finish.  Once I switched to Kasco blades all my troubles went away..(except back issues). I will stand with GMills in regards to folks,(folks with a long standing and reputation) making comments that could possibly sway ones decision making because of a level of respect of that person, even when the individual has no hands on experience, only second hand information.  Many folks myself included find it very difficult at times to discuss a topic due to the (sponsership) issue, feeling a potential retaliation would ensue, when the very information that could be shared could help many folks.  Its not a Red, or Blue, Orange, or Black issue, its folks just sharing experiences.  Now bashing, or venting is clearly not what I am talking about, just good info about trials, followed up by the resulting fix..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Offline JB Griffin

« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 09:19:56 am »
Well said David, I agree.
2000 LT40HYDD33-RA, '70's era 2500 MF 6000lb A/T forklit, '92 F-250 7.3 idi 4x4, '96 F-250 7.3 PSD 4x4, 350 Husky

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 09:52:23 am »
I also agree, drobertson.  That was well said - far better than I ever could have said.

The fact that you represent a sponsor (KASCO/WoodMax) here on the Forestry Forum, it is surprising that you would single out any member or other sponsor in the manner that you have chosen to do.

I looked back on gmmills posts - it doesn't seem he's ever said anything about being a representative of Kasco but simply seems like a satisfied customer of Kasco/member Cutting Edge.  As am I - Kasco blades from Cutting Edge are the best I've ever used.

Looking back through these posts, it seems that there might be a hidden axe that is being ground on.  ???
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 10:01:06 am »
It really doesn't matter who you agree with. My post stands and that is it. Or I could say this, none of you have any experience running this forum, so you have no business commenting on how it's done.  By saying that, it's the same thing as telling someone they should not comment on a cam because they dont have hands on experience.
This has nothing to do with sponsors and everything to do with how you treat your fellow members.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 10:14:28 am »
The axe grinding observation is an astute observation. Having the benefit of being in the catbird seat, there are lots of things that I know that others may not when I formulate a post.

Offline Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 11:20:24 am »
I bought a Cooks a while back when I bought Homey, Fla. Deadheader's bandmill.  From the reviews I read, the price, and what I plan/planned to do with mill it fit nicely.  I also got it on sale from Cooks 8) 8) 8) 8)  Since then other things have come up.  The mill is in the barn.  The sharpener is in the shop never used.  Someday ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline Percy

• Senior Member x2
  • Still got all muh fingers
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 11:49:08 am »
I been using CBN for quite a few years now, first with the upgrade your drag sharpener kit and now the BSM250. I've kinda forgotten alot of stuff I learned with  the drag sharpener. The CBN is a no brainer and can be learned quickly. Costs more. The oil mist problem, for me anyways, has been defeated by using #32 hydraulic oil. No adverse effects on blades or wheels and my sharpener area is clean compared to the 150.00 a pail stuff that makes a mess.
Its not the "years in your life" but the 'life in your years" that matters...Abe Lincoln

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 12:08:16 pm »
Percy - that's good to know.  That stuff can be had for cheaper than just about anything.  Around $40 or so around here for a 5 gallon pail.

Have you tried regular mineral oil?  It's what some professional sharpeners use.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 04:15:58 pm »
I will say, I was one of the folks that hit the "Report to Moderator" button. Why? I didn't like the tone of some of the responses to Magicman. Plain and simple. And I'm not going to get into a war of words with someone if I think they're being disrespectful to someone, I'll let one if the moderators take care of it.  There can be a difference of opinion on matters without having a condescending or disrespectful tone. I've been on this forum for quite a while, and since Magic has joined he has contributed a great deal of knowledge and real world portable sawing experience, all with a humble and gentlemanly spirit. That's what I like and that's what sets this forum apart from others.

Offline Bruno of NH

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 04:18:03 pm »
Barbender x2
thomas 8013 mill ,Mahindra 3540 cab tractor loader  Dump trailer  and lot of contracting tools

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 04:41:41 pm »

Not getting in to this but if I was reshaping a band with a CBN wheel  I'd take light passes which shouldn't wear the wheel or get a wheel more suited for heavy grind reshaping. That said I have no experience with  CBN  grinding   and my old drag grinder sharpeners blades better than new but I do sharpen to a 4 hook from a 10 hook which most likely helps the most cutting wide hard wood.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #68 on: Yesterday at 10:36:15 pm »
ladylake - good to hear from you again.  Why do you go to 4 from 10?  Is it because you have a bunch of 10s on hand and like the 4?  I'm pretty sure I remember you being quite fond of the Kasco 4s?  I am too.  I have a bunch of Cooks 10s I ground back to 7, but haven't touched them since getting my Kasco 4s from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I'll probably never touch the others again except for questionable logs.  I'm spoiled now!

I can't wait to convert my Cooks into a CBN.  It'll be a good thing for me and my couple customers as well.

Offline barbender

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #69 on: Yesterday at 11:40:13 pm »
I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Kascos on here, I'm going to have to give them a try. I'd also considered giving a cbn wheel a go on my Cook's, I remember a while back someone was selling a dry grind cbn out of Ireland on here, I can't remember the name, but I also remember a few members tried them and got poor life out of them, if I remember right. I am satisfied with my Cook's, as I already stated, but I will say it is really hard to get a consistent grind (for me) without burning the tips. If I set it light enough that it doesn't burn teeth, it doesn't even touch some. I've tried cranking the blade clamp, varying the tension, doesn't seem to matter. I quit caring about a slight burn. But then I don't get many bf on a sharpening either.

Offline ladylake

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #70 on: Today at 04:41:23 am »
ladylake - good to hear from you again.  Why do you go to 4 from 10?  Is it because you have a bunch of 10s on hand and like the 4?  I'm pretty sure I remember you being quite fond of the Kasco 4s?  I am too.  I have a bunch of Cooks 10s I ground back to 7, but haven't touched them since getting my Kasco 4s from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I'll probably never touch the others again except for questionable logs.  I'm spoiled now!

I can't wait to convert my Cooks into a CBN.  It'll be a good thing for me and my couple customers as well.

I go to 4 blades as they cut straighter than 10 blades in tough wood.  I run Simonds blades which I can only find in 10. I did try some Kasco blades which were ok but the Simonds cut straighter on my mill, the Kascos cut pretty good after a few sharpening's which made the gullet the same as the Simonds which comes with a shallower gullet.  Steve
Timberking B20 12000 hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Dino setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Offline bandmiller2

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #71 on: Today at 07:44:17 am »
Ox, what is entailed in changing a Cooks drag into a CBN.?? What would be nice is the ability to switch back and forth. Drag grind to CBN profile, then sharpen CBN. Frank C.

Offline Rickcnc

• I'm new!
« Reply #72 on: Today at 08:13:43 am »
I am satisfied with my Cook's, as I already stated, but I will say it is really hard to get a consistent grind (for me) without burning the tips. If I set it light enough that it doesn't burn teeth, it doesn't even touch some. I've tried cranking the blade clamp, varying the tension, doesn't seem to matter. I quit caring about a slight burn. But then I don't get many bf on a sharpening either.

I was getting burned tips on my cooks and I found slowing the feed rate down helped and gave me a nice smooth grind.. although it had a negative impact on how many blades I could do a hour. That said I still have a lot to learn, only sharpened 50 - 60 blades.

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #73 on: Today at 10:19:53 am »
bandmiller2 - it'll take a different cam (either new or modified cam on hand), CBN wheel for the profile of the blades you plan on sharpening, oil pump and oil delivery system, filter/magnet system in an oil containment/catch system.  It's a lot to do and modify but I think it'll be more than worth it in the end.  I'll get it done with close help from Richard at Cutting Edge.  I may have forgot something here but he'll know what all I'll need and can get all the stuff too.  He's already done it before and has a mind like an elephant and don't seem to forget much.  I'll be using the CBN wheels from him too.  I'm not sure where they're made but apparently they outlast other ones significantly. (edit it's Rix Saws CBN wheels).

If you planned ahead I think you could make it so you could switch between drag and CBN pretty quick and easy.  Something cut to fit over the oil tank to keep grinding dust out, take off CBN wheel and mount stone, switch cams and you're into drag sharpening again.  However, there'll be oil all over the machine and the grinding dust will be sticking to everything and when you go back to CBN it'll wash a bunch into the tank and probably plug things up quicker.  I've heard of a guy that uses CBN dry on a Cooks with apparently good life and results.  I'm not sure I want to try that on my dime...

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #74 on: Today at 11:38:39 am »
those wheels come from an outfit named Rixsaws,  web page www.rixsaws.com
Cutting edge is the distributor,

Online Ox

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #75 on: Today at 12:49:53 pm »
thanks, drobertson - i fixed that in my original post. :)