iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setting Up a New To Me Kubota

Started by g_man, August 10, 2017, 08:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

I've been looking for an M series Kubota for a long time but never found one that seemed right. Late this spring I found this M5640 that I couldn't pass up and got it home earlyer this summer. 56 hp, 4WD, geared transmission, loaded 16.9 X 28 rears,  3rd function hydraulics on the loader, and a single rear remote.

I was lucky and found a used Farmi JL501 winch for it.

Been adding goodies to it little by little.
I put a saw scabbard on the loader post

and a removable shelf behind the seat mounted on the ROPS

I put my second saw scabbard and tool box on the shelf.

Underneath was pretty good except the hydraulic filters were at risk. I made a box to protect them from a direct hit.

Last but not least, so far anyway, I put a Frost Bite Log Grapple on it

Yesterday was the first day I did anything serious with it out in the woods. Pulled some maple firewood that I dropped last winter. Quite a different beast from my little L3010.

gg

thecfarm

And you have the real tires on it too!!!!
Looks new. How many hours?
I hate the way some brands put the filters down low.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

That right there is some  " sweet hardware"  Looking forward to more pics.    :)
logon

i would add valve stem protectors on each wheel. 
i do quite a few and usually make them with a piece of tubing over the valve stem and a piece of flat bar between two outer rim bolts. (no pictures)
eliminates the risk of burning tubes while welding

78NHTFY

Sweet ride g_man!  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

Stoneyacrefarm

Work hard. Be rewarded.

thechknhwk

Awesome ride and attachments. 8)  I've got an L3800, and am still wishing I bought an M series.

Peter Drouin

I like the box thing for the hydro.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

g_man

Thank you all !! I have used that grapple to move a few big rocks. It works good for that too. I need wider trails now  :)

I like the weldless valve stem protector idea No. 2308500. From past experience I know I should have them but it is easy for me to put off breaking and reseating a tire bead.

gg

Crusarius

Very nice. I have an L2800. My biggest complaint is absolutely no place to put anything on it. The best place is on the foot board and that is always in the way of the pedals.

I think I may copy your tool tray off the ROPS.

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

GRANITEstateMP

Nice Rig g-man!  Does it have a forward/reverser?
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Banjo picker

I like your mods.  Need to put some of those on my M7040. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

porcupine

Not just a farm tractor anymore....a true woodsman special. Nice Setup.

Ditto on the valve stem protection.......$300 to get a tire guy out to repair mine!
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

pineywoods

I have an M4700 2 wheel drive with forks on the front and home-made winch on the back. After 8 or 9 years of use, I'm well pleased. Have retrieved some hardwood logs too big for my woodmizer mill. I have a neighbor with one of the larger L series tractors. There's no comparison, the M is a much better machine for me.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

g_man

Quote from: Crusarius on August 11, 2017, 07:58:47 AM
Very nice. I have an L2800. My biggest complaint is absolutely no place to put anything on it. The best place is on the foot board and that is always in the way of the pedals.

I think I may copy your tool tray off the ROPS.

Your L2800 must be a lot like my L3010. I took two pieces of angle and put them across the ROPS. One in front, one behind, like a sandwich. ROPS in the middle. Used two long bolts on each side to clamp them to the ROPS at fender height. Laid a piece of plywood on top then a box. Might give you an idea.

This is how I did the M5640 shelf

The transmission is set up with a Forward low/hi - N - Reverse lever by my left thigh and a 4 speed stick on the floor between my knees. 8 forward, 4 reverse. Straight line shift Forward lo - N- Reverse. Forward hi off to the side.

gg

rjwoelk

I could use a graple, very nice. smiley_clapping
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Crusarius

thats a nice idea. I should try that. Thanks.

How often do you hit your elbow on it?

Ken

That is a very good looking piece of equipment g_man.  Hope it works out well for you
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

Crusarius,I did as he did with a chainsaw.

And than on the other side,
This is both gas and chainsaw oil,

And than a wrench. I have one on both sides.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I just got a log grapple with my new tractor they are great tools
Nice tractor gman
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

That is a very nicely outfitted M56.  It should serve you well.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crusarius

I really think the engineers who made the L2800 did their best making it so you can't store anything on it.

Cfarm, I like the mounts and box you made. Unfortunately Kubota does not have that much room on the left side and the right side has the loader controls. I can barely clear the loader controls to get on the right side of the tractor.

I am still looking at ideas but my sawmill parts should be here tuesday so the storage ideas are on hold.

ToddsPoint

I have a 2015 L3901 and it came with the welded valve stem protectors.  Kubota woke up!  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

g_man

I've added a saw vise. Pretty simple but very handy.

I was using the grapple to move some tops off a trial. I was sticking them off to the side and then coming down on top of them to crush them down. Then I noticed one side of the grapple had come loose from the SSQA. When I checked it out I saw that the lever on that side had been pushed all the way up by a limb releasing the grapple. Luckily I saw it before I bent or broke anything. There is no kind of lock on the Kubota SSQA levers. Don't want that to happen again so I made two hooks from some angle and 1/2" bolts 8" long. I put the hooks thru existing holes in the loader frame to hold the levers securely in the locked position.

gg

Thank You Sponsors!