iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DR chipper/shedder knives

Started by southdakotasolo, August 11, 2017, 01:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdakotasolo

Purchased a DR 9.5 chipper/shedder and have been looking for a cheaper priced knife for it. Have looked  all over the net and can find nothing so far. Any one know of a chipper knife co. that makes or carry's this type. The DR knife does a great job and just got it re ground, but ckd their dimensions for allowable grinding before replacement and I may get another 2 or 3 grinds before replacement. I will admit up front I make a Scotch man look like he wastes money. And DR's price is too high. Am running a lot of 20 to30 yr old left on the ground from strom's cedar and ash through it. It is hard stuff. Have maybe 3 or 4 sharpening's left on our stihl 250 chain after a month's cutting. Good thing my bl bought 6 when they were cheap in 2003. Any help appr. thks to all replys.     

North River Energy

When I needed new knives for an obsolete chipper, I found a willing machinist with a heat treating oven and suitable knowledge to make a few.
Other than the correct heat treat, knives aren't complicated.
The cost to make 1 was more or less the price to make 2, so each knife cost me $35, which I thought was entirely reasonable given the time, materials, and skill involved.
And if you consider that there might be others in your situation, you could sell a few, and chip for free.

FWIW, I don't use the chipper anymore, as I found it was more time/cost effective to haul my brush to the landfill.

Medium story short, have the knives custom made in quantity and they'll be cheaper per unit than buying retail.
Or take the plastic card out of the sporran and buy a machine that's up to the task. You're clearly exceeding the design limitations of the DR.

Thank You Sponsors!