iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

learning curve for WM simple set?

Started by 47sawdust, August 10, 2017, 06:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

The name implies simple but how hard is the simple set to set up and use.I'm building some cherry cabinets from wood sawn on a neighbors mill with accuset.I was impressed with the consistency of the thickness.No way I can match that sawing by eye.It made planing to my finish thickness pretty darn easy.
I'm finishing up adding a log loader to the mill,so this might be the next improvement.
Thanks so much,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

MartyParsons

Hello,
   Accuset has a Liner Transducer (   http://www.balluff.com/local/us/products/sensors/magnetostrictive-linear-position-sensors/)  and can be adjusted to 1/32" and even adjusting the Kerf setting by .001 at a time. .045 blade we usually set the Kerf at .096. ( .125 is 1/8").

Simple Set works uses a encoder ( http://heidenhain.atechauthority.com/rotary-encoders/  )which uses the pulse of the up down gear box pulley to calculate the distance traveled. It is accurate to 1/16" . Simple Setworks does not calculate for kerf. You add 1/8" to the setting to compensate for kerf loss.

Operation is simple. Push the button check the setting and take a cut. Raise the saw head return the saw head and push the up down drum switch. It will lower the head to the setting and the amount you raised the saw blade to clear the wood.

It works very well.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

WV Sawmiller

I can't address the technical stuff like Marty and many other here can do but from a user point of view it is a great addition. I have said before I would be lost without mine. I only make my first cuts without it then almost all the rest are made with my SS. If you don;t have one now and you do add one the question you will be asking yourself will be "Why did I wait so long?"

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I would "hang up my spurs" if I did not have my Setworks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

There really is almost no learning curve with the SimpleSet.  There are two user-adjustable thicknesses (Set1 and Set2) to choose from.  Move your blade to the desired starting height, press a button to enter "Auto" mode (press the same button again to select the other Set value), press the drum-switch down lever to auto-drop by the selected set value, repeat.  Note that SimpleSet doesn't display the blade height like the Accuset does.  You must use the mill scale and quarter scale to set the blade height if you want to end up with the correct thickness on the last board.  On my mill the SimpleSet is accurate to within +/- 1/32".
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!