iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need firewood advice

Started by mf40diesel, August 09, 2017, 03:04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

Hello all.   Need some advices If i may. Swore that I would do better this year, but seemingly didn't. I cut a view lot for some neighbors, they got their view back, we got the wood. All told it was about 17 cords of wood we got. This was intended to be our firewood for the year. (Owb, burned about 9 cords last year).

Problem is, when we started on one side of the lot, it was nice wood. Mostly red oak, rock maple, ash and beech. As we moved further in (which were the trees more blocking the view) it became more and more poplar. At first it was a few sticks, and I didn't bother separating them as I didn't think we'd get enough to sell a load of pulp, then as the job progressed, it became more. Tried pulling them from the pile, which made a mess.

I guess you can tell where I am going. Now we have 12-15 cords of wood, and it is probably close to 1/2 poplar.

I am thinking about buying 4 cords of good hardwood (which I vowed I wouldn't do again) to put in the middle of my woodshed. For hopefully the "meat of the winter."  Should I do that? Or just crank through the existing pile and see what happens?  Being that poplar is such poor fire wood, I'm concerned that on real cold nights the boiler will chew through a whole belly full of poplar and be nearly out in the morning. Am I over thinking it?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

E Yoder

Would depend on what burn times you get with oak, in other words, how your OWB is sized. A firewood BTU chart would give an idea what % shorter burn time you'd get I imagine. I would guess 30% shorter burn time with  poplar perhaps.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

North River Energy

Assuming your work schedule is similar to last year, I'd fix this particular problem with the cheque book.
Resolution notwithstanding, what's the value of peace of mind and a warm house/family?
You can use this particular 'inventory mishap' as an opportunity to chart the burn rate of the poplar without worry, and use that information for future situations.

mf40diesel

Sound advice....  as always. Buying some wood again!  Felt like such a numbskull when I started seeing just how much poplar invaded my cache.  I. Believe I'll try for 4 cords and mix it in. 

Also, yes, I am still working the same schedule.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

barbender

Which poplar is this? Aspen? If it's aspen I'd say burn it on the warmer days, or mixed with the better hardwood to suit depending on temps. Aspen burns great, just not for very long😊
Too many irons in the fire

mf40diesel

I believe it is quaking aspen, of which we have a fair amount.

I have ordered from a friend/firewood dealer another 4 cords of good dry hardwood. So I'll have probably 17 cords or so. I'll mix the predominant hardwood in a couple rows so that hopefully we get into the better wood in late December thru February. At least that's my plan. Thank you

Ivan49

Quote from: mf40diesel on August 11, 2017, 12:10:40 PM
I believe it is quaking aspen, of which we have a fair amount.

I have ordered from a friend/firewood dealer another 4 cords of good dry hardwood. So I'll have probably 17 cords or so. I'll mix the predominant hardwood in a couple rows so that hopefully we get into the better wood in late December thru February. At least that's my plan. Thank you
How long has it been cut? I burned a lot of popular here in northern mich and if it was less than 6 months old it held a fire fairly well. In the cold monhts I checked it 3 times a day and usually at noon just thru a couple pieces in. Mix it with your other wood and use it up

Stoneyacrefarm

Ditto on the last 2 posts.
I've burned a lot of poplar mixed in with dry hardwood.
It will burn decent if it isn't too dry.
Can't go wrong having a little extra dry wood around anyways.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

mf40diesel

Thanks for the advice...  I agree. My concern was when I am at work, that if the boiler was full of nothing but poplar on the real cold nights the boiler would be empty when my wife went out in the morning.

As you said,  it clearly burns, so burn it up. Funny story, meant to insult no one,...  a buddy of mine is a real old time Mainer. Super strong accent and all used to cut/sell firewood. He was talking to a "person from away," that owned a real nice camp on one of the lakes in town. The guy wanted to buy some wood, but said. "I only burn 2 year seasoned oak or ash, with his nose somewhat in the air."  My buddy had nothing aged that long, or probably at all for that matter, the guy said to him what do you burn, you live here?  He replies, "jaysus, I'll burn anything I can fit in the stove if its cold enough!" 

Probably not a real good story, you'd have to be there and hear him tell it. Point is....  I'm probably overthinking it.

thecfarm

My Father use to say,It's not the quality of wood,but the quantity of wood you need.  ;D
I can undersatnd the concern with you be away. I am like your buddy,I burn anything I get my hands on. I am cutting in the bog now. Lots of dead trees,cedar,fir and it's going to be burnt this winter. Some cedar is all ready limbed out.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mf40diesel

Dead Dry standing pine...  my boiler likes it. Plus it's fun to head in the woods and cut a quick little hitch to pull back, buck up quick and cram in the boiler.

thecfarm

mf40diesel,that is why I got a OWB.I needed something to get rid of my dead wood. I chased down my dead pine,still have some more. But seem to have a never ending supply of fir. Fir does not grow good on my land. I cut just about every one I see. Let something else grow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ppine

You have 17 cords of woods and so now is not the time to buy more.  Burn all of it during the day in normal weather.  Pull aside the good hardwood for cold days and at night.  I know Maine is cold, but 9 cords sounds like a very inefficient stove set-up.  A newer more modern stove would pay for itself quickly.
Forester

mf40diesel

My boiler is brand new. It heats our whole 2800ft2 house, domestic water and garage. I think for what it's doing and we were are, it would be tough to beat it. And we heat steady from Oct till mid-apr. so a little over 5 months steady burning.

mf40diesel

I'll have close to two years worth now. My whole issue was just how much of was poplar, which is not a real good wood.

DDW_OR

my 2 cents

sounds like 1/2 is popular, the other 1/2 oak

so for the OWB season start with the popular, then in the coldest months use the oak you have and the wood you buy, then the last of the popular.
"let the machines do the work"

snowstorm

As long as the popple dosent sit on the ground to long. If so it rots fast or if it's split  it's fine. It all make smoke. 9 cd  in a out door boiler isn't much. I use twice that

TKehl

Can you set some of the better stuff to the side for when you need it?  That's what we do.  Been burning a ton of Elm due to timber stand improvement, but keep a stash of Oak, Locust, Hickory, and Hedge to the side.  "Can't keep the house warm no matter how full I stuff the box with Elm if lower than 15°F outside."

This system works well for us until my wife gets into the hedge on accident.  "Honey, why is it 85°F in the house?" 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Al_Smith

All wood from balsa to osage orange has the same btu by weight .Poplar you just have to burn more of it is all .You want it to burn faster,split it smaller .
Outside burners are neat .All the mess is outside,you can heat water ,pipe the heat where ever you want,heat several buildings -----but they do have an appetite for wood .

Ron Scott

What others have said. Burn the aspen during the warmer weather and in starting your fires. Mix it with the hardwoods as the weather gets colder for burning just the hardwood.
~Ron

mf40diesel

Thank you all for the advice. Appreciate it very much. Using the poplar/aspen as shoulder wood.... starts the year, ends the year.

I'll keep you posted.

Logging logginglogging

You know since you have the equipment, i would just cut my way through it picing out the poplar logs and getting rid of them.
yes its more work, but if you have the equipment i could be done.

Al_Smith

I'm a little confused here .I thought most if not all outside burners had a thermostatically  controlled force draft blower .If that's the case I would thing it doesn't make much difference what it burned .It would make sense poplar wouldn't last as long as oak though .Although trotting out into 15 below at 1 AM in the morning to restoke it wouldn't be very much fun .

thecfarm

Al,I think I read,he's concerned about the burn time. Yes,it will burn the poplar,put out heat,but he concerned it won't last like oak or maple. He don't want the wife to be cold.  ;)
I burn dead standing cedar. Sometimes it's all limbed too.  ;D  I know that won't hold a fire like good hardwood. Won't be much for coals either.

mf40diesel

The boiler will burn any wood, really, and while it is pretty forgiving, it should be pretty dry. My concern with all the poplar was exactly what thecfarm said. Don't want mumma to go out in the morning on those wicked cold mornings (when I am at work) to find the boiler about out even after stuffing it full.

I think I got a decent plan going forward. One things for sure though, I will be much more cognizant of separating poplar as I yard it out. I definitely had enough to sell a load, and even if not, it would be better to keep them separated for better control.

Thank You Sponsors!