iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's the scoop on Hybrid Poplar's?

Started by skylog, December 23, 2004, 10:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skylog

I received a mailing today advertising the fastest growing quality shade tree in America - the Hybrid Poplar.  Claims to grow 6-8' yearly and a spread of 30-50' in a few years.  Says it's not the same as the short lived Lombardy Poplar.

Scientific name is "Populus deltoides populus nigra".  Offered by an outfit called 4 Seasons Nursuries (www.4seasonsnurseries.com)

Anybody know anything about these trees or had any experience with them?  It'd be nice to have shade that quick, but not if the tree is going to die in 10 years.

Ianab

Hi Skylog

A lot of those deltoides and nigra hybrids are planted around NZ. Mostly for a quick growing shelter belt or to stabilise loose soil on a hillside. They do grow quickly but seem to be pretty long lived and grow to a decent size. I think they are immune to the leaf rust that kills off the lombardy poplars.
They do make a usefull shade tree, and can be used as extra fodder for sheep and cattle if you run short of grass in summer.
Another option is to plant some, use them as shelter for more desirable trees. Plan on taking them out for firewood in 10-15 years once your slower growing trees are established.
Once you have them growing they are really easy to propogate, just cut a branch off in early spring and plant it. ;D
If you are in a hurry for trees you can plant an 8 ft long branch, it will usually grow.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

That hybrid is known as the Carolina poplar and can get to be a massive tree. I know several that are over 50 inches in diameter and 100 feet tall and dangerously close to buildings. I warned one lady of two on her lawn that had conk in the butt. Given the right direction of gail force wind and there could have been two flattened homes. It so happened that the wind was from the opposite direction 2 weeks later and one was snapped off at the conk and the other was ripped from the ground and the trees laid out across the road. They where about 40 inch diameter trees. If your gonna plant them, keep'm away from the house.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

those trees must be nothing but paper rings with water between them. i know box elder can sometimes get 8' in a year. i cant imagine putting any of this stuff in a stove.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Grawulf

Skylog,
Here in Ohio, they grow fast and die early - usually 12 - 14 years. They're great if you want "biscuit wood" for your cookstove because Redpowered is right. They are pretty much paper. Makes a quick, hot fire and then it's gone - perfect for making catheads to go with your grits .......why do these threads always digress into eating food?? :) :) :) :) :)

SwampDonkey

Pin cherry to, grows fast. It'll grow about 4 feet the first year from seed, then by the end of the second season you have a 10 foot tree. After then the hieght growth slows in progression as its not a tall growing tree. I agree on the boxelder growth too. It's pretty much useless, but I suppose in the bald-headed prairies it was better than nothing to cook with. Splits alot easier then elm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

redpowerd

catheads and food in the same sentence?
anything like rocky mtn oysters? :)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Timber_Framer

They do grow fast and die young, that is why many US cities will not allow you to plant them. If you live in town check with your city planner they may be illegal.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

OneWithWood

What kind of lumber can be sawn from these hybrids?  Is it at all comparable to tulip or yellow poplar?  Big tooth aspen?  If it would make decent lumber it might be worth planting a grove.  It would be nice to plant a tree and live long enough to harvest it :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!