iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not Sure I Can Do This Again

Started by YellowHammer, August 09, 2017, 12:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

I saw and dry a decent amount of persimmon into two inch stock.  Most of it's pretty bland, creamy white, nice but nothing to get excited about. 

This last batch had a dark, almost purple walnut like color, but with a depth I hadn't seen before.  It was white on the outside of the boards, like it was supposed to be, but as it got planed, the core got darker and richer.  The guys doing the planing, who were very experienced, thought they were burning the wood, and replaced the planer blades.  But I assured them everything was OK as I'd already done some test pieces myself.  I've darkened it before, by aging, but it was shot through with bugs.  This was bug free.   

The good news is that I have a whole pallet of this wood, and customers jumped on it.  The bad news is, I'm not sure I can repeat the process.   ::)
The boards on the pallet haven't been dressed up yet, so they look pretty rough.  Persimmon is small, so lots of pith sawing, and lots of cup. It also evident how much persimmon moves when it dries.  I'll rip the pieces as necessary with the SLR to get premium stock. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

grouch

Is that some pretty curl in that grain hiding under the rough surface? I didn't know persimmon did that.

Haven't seen many boards of it, though, mostly just seen the pieces that were used in a golf club factory that one of my in-laws used to work at. All that I saw there had a mixture of light and dark.
Find something to do that interests you.

WDH

That is the way most of my persimmon looks, too.  I believe that it is a form of gray stain as the wood is a cream/yellow color when sawn.  I think that it is very pretty and love to see it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cazzhrdwd

Its fascinating to me that you guys can sell these kinds of lumber. Have never had a customer ask for persimmon. I got a very nice mulberry in which IMO looks fantastic when sawn into lumber, I can't get anyone to bite on it.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

nativewolf

It's an ebony so it should have some dark areas in it.  Some folks get it confused with black gum  (edited- while growing in the forest because bark can be quite similar- not referring to the sawn lumber) but if you see the black streaks you know you are in persimmon. 
Liking Walnut

WDH

The pith of persimmon is continuous while the pith of blackgum is diaphrammed. 

I sell persimmon to plane makers, luthiers, and turkey call makers. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with WDH that this is grey stain, which is sometimes called interior grey stain or interior enzymatic oxidation stain.  It is basically caused by very slow drying, or no drying, in warm weather.  It is not fungal.  Often the outside of a piece of lumber dries fast enough to avoid the oxidation reaction, so the outside is white.  The stain is encourage by starting drying with freshly sawn lumber at 130 F and 100% humidity, but even 110 F will wok.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Joey Grimes

The first time I cut persimmon I got excited when I saw bright yellow wood but it it didnt last long.I had bad luck with extreme twisting
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

WDH

It is awful to dry straight  :)

Thank You Sponsors!