iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still on the road and a long way to go

Started by Howdy, August 07, 2017, 09:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howdy

Well the Pigroast is finished for the year.  Lots of folks came, lots of pig was eaten, and lots of fat was chewed around the fire, tables, pole barn, out in the yard, and even at the many campgrounds and hotels in the area.  Jeff was a fine host, Tammy worked her fanny off as usual, and everyone had a chance to get something from the tables of gifts and loot.  As always Logrite, Woodmizer and Stihl donated plenty of wonderful things, as well as several other members and vendors.  There is always plenty to go around.  Each year Jeff creates a game to keep things interesting when awarding prizes.  I even won a package of Woodmizer sawmill blades which I traded for a Woodmizer Carhart style jacket due to the fact that I do not own a sawmill.  Somehow I could just see the look on my wife's face if I had won a sawmill and hitched it behind the boat, kiln, and motorbike I am already bringing home.  But the blades as expensive as they were, wew something I just did not have use for.  Many of the guys were looking at me wondering what I was going to do with the award, when I remembered the Woodmizer Carhart jacket I could try to trade for.  It took a fast move and I was successful just before I was swamped with offers to take them off my hands by mill owners. 

There were several new members attending the Pigroast this year and it was very nice to meet them.  I remember my first Pigroast and wondering how the people would see me.  I am not a forestry worker, sawmill owner, wood worker, or even someone who eats Grits.  What could I offer or talk about?  I saw if I just gave people a chance to include me they would and do so warmly.  I wandered from conversation to conversation sampling and learning as folks talked about so many subjects that I easily found I was able to join in or at least listen and learn. 

So now that it is time to return home, I wanted to get a few hours down the road before stopping for the night.  The driving was easy and I was encouraged to keep moving for many hours.  Finally I started trying to find a hotel with rooms available but learned most were booked up.  Mile after mile and still no vacancy.  When I did find someplace with rooms, the cost was far more than I wanted to pay for a few hours sleep.  My goal for the next days travel was Le Clare Iowa and the home of the Antique Archaeology TV program.  I drove right on by cause of no rooms to be found.  Finally I found a Motel 6 about 15 miles West of Le Clear.  This place cured me of staying in Motel 6 hotels.  Gruesome is a kind way of describing the room I was assigned.  It was clean enough (I hope) but the large jetted bathtub sitting in the middle of the room made me wonder what activities may be offered at this place.  I have finally learned what happens to old bed sheets, Motel 6 uses them for towels but the bed was okay... except for the body hidden under the mattress.  It did cause a few lumps and I kept expecting the police to kick in the door.   I didn't look too hard but I did think about checking at the front desk to see if I needed to pay extra due to sharing my room.  The next day I went back and saw the Antique Archaeology store and got that out of my system.  I came, I saw, I drove on...

Traveling and road trips has always been a passion for me.  Taking the time to wander from town and village experiencing the local flavors, sights, and opportunities for adventure broadens and enriches a persons life.  Driving across the country using interstate highways and under a time commitment kinda kills the "Blue Highways" kinda feeling.  No longer does William Least Heat Moon have the vision of American roadways.  Now it seems to be McDonnalds, cheep gas, and questionable hotel rooms with only the roadkill being different.  Self imposed pressure to keep driving and get to the next destination is the norm now.  It's my fault this time.  I want to get home in time for my own family's gathering and so many miles need to be done to keep on schedule.  It would be great to have a book describing where big balls of string are or places to see wonders of the road.  I guess the only way to really experience the amazing land we live in is to have an RV and stop at each bend in the road. 

I have not always done the brightest or smartest things as anyone I know can attest to.  Somehow I got the idea of going through Yellowstone park on the way home.  This path also allows a visit to Wall Drug Store and Mount Rushmore both places I think would be fun to see.  The questionable area is this is Sturgis motorcycle week so I will be sharing the road with 700,000 road weary bikers.  And every hotel will be overbooked plus charging $200 for a seat in the utility closet.  Would it be an experience? Is this something my wife would advise to do?  Can I drive a loaded pickup truck pulling a boat down main street Sturgis?  Do I have a death wish?

Well I have made it to Wall South Dakota, the location of Wall Drug Store.  Yes the famous place which has been advertised on zillions of road side signs and home of a number of shops covering most of Main Street.  Currently the number of motorcycles here only stands at 648 but it's still daylight. Sturgis currently has 697,252.  The rumble of loud engines reverberates between the buildings so no peace and quite is to be had.  Seeing all the costumes kinda makes a fella wonder why bikers choose to dress up in stereotypical garb.  Lots of leather, fringe, and torn tee shirts.  There was also one lady wearing a tee shirt with the fabric missing.  No sleeves, no front, no back.  Just a couple of scraps of cloth and a lot of flesh exposed to the wind.  Must be painful to ride through bugs.  At least she did have some colorful attachments in key areas of her chest.  Or maybe she had already found the bugs.  Either way I did find myself not wanting to look back to check. At least not too close,  I don't have a death wish I guess. 

grouch

The ones wearing leather may have experienced having to lay the machine down. Road rash is not fun.
Find something to do that interests you.

sandhills

Howdy, you need to write a book  :).  (but I want the first autographed copy  :D)

square1

Quote from: Howdy on August 07, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
...the large jetted bathtub sitting in the middle of the room made me wonder what activities may be offered at this place...
I'm reminded of the time, while attempting to reserve a room by phone, the person on the other end asked "You mean for the whole night?"

Nice post. Safe travels Howdy.

coxy

Quote from: square1 on August 08, 2017, 04:52:17 AM
Quote from: Howdy on August 07, 2017, 09:18:30 PM
...the large jetted bathtub sitting in the middle of the room made me wonder what activities may be offered at this place...
I'm reminded of the time, while attempting to reserve a room by phone, the person on the other end asked "You mean for the whole night?"

:D :D  you shur you wasn't in mystic ct thats what happened to me and my wife needless to say after she got done ripping them a new one we went someplace else

thecfarm

and a long ways to go. That is good. That means more stories.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

Safe travels. Look forward to future writing.

Thank You Sponsors!