Started by tule peak timber, August 07, 2017, 05:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

From my front yard a minute ago

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

samandothers

grouch

Who are you bombing and why?
Find something to do that interests you.

Magicman

Oh No, that resembles last year.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

that low humidity and heat is a good recipe for the same ole same ole,  hate it for you guys,, looks like the wind is low for now, maybe, just maybe the winds will calm and give the fighters a chance to cut that one off.  Been keeping up with y'alls temps having Bret out that way, north but in the Mojave, all said brutally hot for you all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

btulloh

I hope they can get a handle on that.  What's the weather forecast?  I suppose it's pretty much always hot and dry out there in the Inland Empire.  Hopefully the santa annas won't get to blowing.  I lived in Valencia and that sight looks mighty familiar.  Good luck.
HM126

tule peak timber

The air tankers and a large number of ground engines responded and it looks like that fire will be controlled before sunset. Last week I topped off my fire tank (15000 gal) and for good reason . The mountains here have dry brush and the erratic winds keep everyone on edge !  Some past views.........Cheers  Rob

grouch

Those past views look even more like bombing and 'way too close for comfort.

Do those smoke clouds flatten out like that due to the jet stream passing over those mountains?

Are you downwind, relative to prevailing winds?

tule peak timber

Winds are seasonal but on  a daily basis easterly in the morning and westerly in the afternoon. Fall and winter winds are STRONG north easterly with super low humidity sometimes blowing steady 30- 50 and gusting 60-80 knots for days. The jet stream has a great deal to with our winds and rainfall (lack of ). I am at about 4000 ft elevation listed as desert. All of the wood I cut is trucked in !  Rob

btulloh

How's the fire, TulePeak?  Hopefully OUT or at least under control.

Here's a picture I took in 2004.  Fires and mudslides with a an occasional earthquake.  All part part of the Southern CA lifestyle.

HM126

tule peak timber

Your pic makes me shudder ! The local fire is now contained , but not out yet.Some pics on FaceBook showed neighbors with burned backyards- but the homes were saved.As far as earthquakes we average 20-30 a month with only  2-3 being felt. I am right smack on top of an active fault and there is always a lot of noise and some  rockin and a rollin.The shop floor has huge cracks in it and ALL of my buildings are bolted up and down with steel straps. Cheers Rob

red

And you just had to have a sawmill or two . Stay Safe .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

tule peak timber

This fire is 12 minutes old happening right now....

Ox

Lord, it sure looks dry there.  I bet everything crackles when it moves.  Here's wishing you good luck in this.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

nativewolf

well doesn't that just add some excitement to the view, not that it needed it.  We just need to extend that straw from the colorado over to houston.  52" of rain would do some wonders for putting out fires.
Liking Walnut

tule peak timber

Zero rain this summer and it has been 95-105 for weeks. Three fires going close by today and no power for 5 and one half hours.

samandothers

Ouch.  That can cut into production if no back up!

tule peak timber

We went outside and worked the mill !

grouch

Are those hewing marks I see?

Magicman

Looks like $$$ to me.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

Yes, hand work marks. This stuff is from Indiana,along with 10,000 Hoosier nails  :D

rasman57

I fool around with old barn wood reclaimed locally here in Illinois and when you find a beam that was within reach of the standing farmer on the ground or the loft, probably gonna have some iron in it.  But the handmade square nails are interesting.     
  Those are some huge timbers and really vintage.    Interestingly,  the original structure from that era would not have had a single nail or spike in it.  All mortise tenon and pegs usually.   It was the generations of practical use that " improved" the barns and buildings and you can sometimes date the improvements by looking at the nails...hand forged or later production wire type nails.
  Hope your physical and business climate both swing in your favor as we all sure enjoy your craftsmanship and vision.     

tule peak timber

Fast forward a year. The view from my front yard just now. This fire was set by an arsonist yesterday at noon. Thousands of folks without power - OR WATER. Not good. Around 102 degrees. Lots of hurt to go around...

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: tule peak timber on July 26, 2018, 06:19:26 PM
Fast forward a year. The view from my front yard just now. This fire was set by an arsonist yesterday at noon. Thousands of folks without power - OR WATER. Not good. Around 102 degrees. Lots of hurt to go around...

I just saw that on the news.. :(  
They caught him, right?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

tule peak timber

They sure did and he is in an air conditioned jail cell while his victims suffer. This guy did a big loop by my place then east, then north, flinging out road flares in 105 degree heat starting a half dozen fires. All but one , the Cranston fire , have been put out by citizens following his car. Two more big fires just started today very close by here that might merge together. Very bad .

Thank You Sponsors!